“Served its purpose”

Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, Australia
“Served its purpose”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I just returned from a 3 night stay here with a group for a friends 30th. Pool was great - not overly flash but fine. Room was a glorified motel room - but again fine. Room service breakfast was a highlight as we did a dive tour leaving very early one morning - reasonably priced also. Overall good stay cause it was cheap and served its purpose. I only not stay here if I was after a nicer holiday - but then I would stay anywhere in Cairns - I would head to Port Douglas.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarahp0104

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
LaSalle, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This isn`t a BAD hotel, but it certainly isn`t a Four Star hotel either. The staff here don`t give a rat's behind about you or the hotel itself, they just work there because it`s their job and they have to do it. Nothing there was complimentary; my room had a mini bar with a couple small snacks, beers, mixed drinks, and some wine, all of which I had to pay for...so why not just make me go to the bar? The movies they provide are $15 each, so just watch your movies online or use Netflix if you have a laptop...oh, that's right, THEY HAVE NO WIFI, except for in the lobby and it's very poor. It's 2014 and they only offer a wired connection in the rooms, where you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a plan.

Air conditioning was good in the room, but the hotel had none so I hope you enjoy sweating your balls off. I also hope you don't mind bats, because there are literally, LITERALLY thousands of fruit bats in the mango trees on Alpin street. Personally I thought it was really cool but basically everyone else was terrified of the bats and several were offended by the smell.

My room was comfortable and clean but they gave me room 116, which is the ground floor and facing the empty street, so I had the worst view possible.

The pool area was nice, but the swim up bar was absolutely awful compared to how they advertise it. They close up whenever they want really, so you never know when you're actually going to get something.

The hotel itself was only mildly clean...it felt so old, which was really off putting. The location it great though, being a 5 minute walk to the Esplanade and near the night markets.

Overall I didn't mind my stay, but I definitely won't be coming back. You can find much better for just a few extra bucks.

And for God's sake, Novotel, get some wifi!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sebastian M
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
While it is nice to read that you enjoyed our central location and the pool area, we are sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations. Our guests have a choice of purchasing drinks or snacks from either the mini-bar, or one of the 2 bars in our hotel. This includes Aqua Bar, conveniently located alongside our large lagoon style pool it is open from 12pm to 5pm unless it is raining and Novo Bar is open from 5pm.

We are also sorry to read the wired internet connection in guest rooms did not meet your needs. We also have a dedicated ADSL 2 wirelsss connection in the resort lobby that is free of charge for hotel guests.

We understand why some guests do not like the nearby flying fox colony, so we are pleased to confirm that the Cairns Regional Council has received permission to move them away from the CBD. According to local media reports this should take place in the near future.

Once again we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay and we hope to welcome you back to a Novotel hotel in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Disappointed at accomodation, room on 6th floor and was less than adequate, smelt stale, tiles cracked in the bathroom, noisy fridge, could not sleep as the bats outside were very noisy, there were hundreds of them.

Room Tip: Ask reception to give you a room away from the trees with bats.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bronwen C
Thanks for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay with us.

We are sorry to learn you encountered a musty smell and had cracked tiles in the room you stayed in. This is normally the time of the year when we do the majority of maintenance work and spring cleaning, so I am sure the issues you encountered will be addressed in the near future.

We are also disappointed to discover your stay was impacted by the presence of the Spectacled Flying Fox colony that roost in trees nearby the resort. As you may have read in our response to other guest feedback, the Cairns Regional Council is committed to removing them from the CBD in the near future.

Once again we are sorry you had this experience and we hope to welcome you back to a Novotel hotel in the future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. First day arrived this hotel and get in my room on 4th Floor, it was terrible to saw hundred of bats hang on the tree out of my balcony. Also I smell very mouldy! Then I changed another room 171, It was even worst, many mold in ceiling of this room. The hotel staff never change the new towels for us everyday!!! Poor service I had ever seen. The safey box was broken. I dislike those bats, it was very noisy and smelly on the path where we went back to the hotel. I would never stay in this hotel again! I rather choose holiday Inn if I go cairns again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachelee85
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
I am very sorry to learn that we did not deliver the high standard of cleaning and room presentation expected at a Novotel hotel.

Your valuable feedback has been discussed with our Executive Housekeeper and we shall take the steps necessary to address the issues you encountered.

Kind regards,

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Atherton, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Got an email at 5.17pm today offering a locals cinema special. I phoned at 7.30 to book.

The reservations counter didn't have a clue about the promotion.

She fobbed me off to the manager and kept me on hold for 2 mins. I came back to her and she told me the manager wasn't available. She took my phone number and explained I would receive a call from the manager ASAP. It is now 10.17pm and still no call. I will not stay here now.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jarvisnik
Illawarra
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

When we checked in our room had an overbearing smell of cigarette smoke. That was sorted out, then a few days later there was a terrible smell coming from the drains. The air conditioning in the rooms was great, although the air conditioning throughout the hotel was broken and it was very hot in the elevators. The pool bar often shut at 3 or 4 when it says it's open until 7. Went to have Ice cream at 930 at the restaurant and they said they were shut when the hotel information says it is open until 10. We were told to order room service. There was one staff member in particular who worked in the bar and pool bar who we couldn't praise enough. Unfortunately we didn't catch his name, but he gave us endless amounts of great tips and customer service was above an beyond. All in all an average stay. The pool and BBQ area made up for the disappointment of the rooms. Probably would not stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed a couple of nights here and not up to he value of other options also recently stayed at. Had to change rooms as first one smelt very mouldy. Change was easy, but disappointing introduction. Next room was OK but not 4 star. Had a meal inthe restaurant and the fixed menu option was exceptional, 5 star quality and excellent value. Overal this is an aging facility with good pool and service but not good value on the room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple