“Great location. Modern, clean large hotel.”

Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Perth, Australia
“Great location. Modern, clean large hotel.”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Stayed for 4 nights in late August 2009.
Internet rate of $139 p/night. Rate included a promotion for a free night at any Novotel property in Australia within the next 6 months (after registration).

Room was modern and clean with all basic amenities including toiletries, tissues and facewasher. We ordered room service breakfast and dinner once. The prices were reasonable and the food was fresh and tasty. Not a huge selection for breakfast but dinner was more varied.

10-15 mins walk to the Reef Fleet terminal. Same again to the central train station. Nice and close to the great Esplanade area which was really pleasant to walk around in the evening.

Staff were helpful and friendly enough. Pretty much what I expected from a large hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
CT
Reviewed 1 September 2009

About us: 45 year old mom and 16 year old son, both of whom have traveled to Europe 3 times.

Arrived in Cairns from Sydney on Tueday, August 25th at 1:30 pm.

10 minute ride in taxi to Novotel Cairns Oasis on Lake Street, $ 18.20. Room was ready, checked in.

Very nice hotel, great beds. Refrig. in room is loaded with their snacks and drinks for sale. I emptied onto counter to use space for the things we were going to buy.

We walked to the Esplanade to have lunch. McDonald's right there, same prices as United States for combo meals. Also saw Subway, $ 7 for a footlong.

We walked to Coles Supermarket, about 10 minutes from the Esplanade in the opposite direction. Located in a mall at Cairns Central RR Station, between Spence Street and Alpin Street. Lots of stores in the mall and places to eat. Also, a Target store. Very, very expensive Target store though, not like in the United States. Bought soda, water and chips for hotel. $ 1.07 for 1 liter of soda. Good prices on Coles brand chips and cookies. Had brought a reusuable bag from back home to carry groceries in.

Tired when returned to hotel, about 6 pm. Ordered Pizza Hut, they deliver right to your room. [--] (yes, they only have 6 digits, not 7) and this is a local call, which the hotel charges $.80 each for. 1 large pizza, garlic bread and 12 wings for $ 30.40, which includes their delivery charge. Plenty for 2 people, even if one if a teenaged boy.

Day 2, Weds, August 26th:

Before leaving home, I had booked a snorkeling trip with Passions of Paradise. $ 278 for two adults. 10 minute walk to the Reef Terminal from the hotel. 1 1/2 hours snorkeling at Michelas Cay and 1 hour at 2nd stop. Lunch was a hot lamb or vegetable stew (which they served you), cold cuts platter, rolls, prawns, salad, chick peas and potato salad. Boat holds 80 people, 73 people on this trip. All round tables inside, advertised as airconditioned but was not. Pretty warm in there. Benches on top deck or you could sit on the floor. Not alot of space. We had a very good time though and my son wanted to snorkel again the next day.

Went back to hotel and booked another snokeling trip with the hotel consultant. Hotel Consultant works 9 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 8 pm. Charges the same prices as in the brochures, no markup. Booked with Silverswift. Paid $ 316 for 2 adults, plus had to pay $ 10 reef tax at Reef Terminal when signing in. (This reef tax was included in the price with Passions of Paradise, so everyone pays it)

Day 3, Thursday, August 27th: Silverswift snokeling trip. This trip has 3 stops, Flynn Reef, Millin Reef and Thatford Reef. The Silverswift is part of the Quicksilver company, which owns numerous boats. The 3 stops were 1 1/2 hours, 1 hour and 1 hour, so we had plenty of snorkeling time. Left the last snokeling spot at 3:15 and were back in port at 4:15 pm. Also, this boat left at 8:30 and was to arrive at 4:30. Passions of Paradise leaves at 8 am and arrives at 5 pm. Silverswift is a much faster boat. Had much more snokeling time, it was worth the extra price.

Also, the Silverswift was a much nicer boat. Boat holds 90 people. There are high back seats on the lower deck and the upper deck. There are also seats and benches outside on the back upper deck and a place to lay down on the front lower deck. Also had 2 changing rooms, so you didn't have to change in the bathroom, as you did on the Passions of Paradise.

Day 4, Friday, August 28th:

Walked to the Transit Mall at the corner of Lake Streets and Sheild Streets to ride the 1X bus to the Skyrail Terminal. $ 3.60 one way each, 25 minute ride. I had printed out the schedule from home before we left. What they don't tell you, is that buses that leave the Transit Mall before 9 am do not stop at the Skyrail Terminal, evern though the Skyrail opens at 9 am. Therefore, we waited for the 8:57 am bus, could not take the 8:27 bus.

Bus drops you off in the parking lot. Remember where you get off, as that is the bus stop to get back on later. Sign says bus stop and has the schedule of buses. Remember to take the bus back to Cairns Center, not toward Palm Cove, etc.. I always ask before I board a bus.

Walked in and bought tickets, no line. $ 59 for both ways, each. Not crowded, was able to ride in the cable car ourselves. Got off at the first boardwalk and walked around. Don't bother.

At the next boardwalk, we opted not to get out. Very nice views. Once we arrived in Kuranda, we headed straight to the Koala Gradens, which was our intended destination. $ 18 each to get in, plus $ 15 for a photo to hold the koala. Yes, in Queensland you can hold the koala, whereas you cannot hold the koala in Sydney. My son had his picture taken holding the koala, and they also took several pictures with my carmera of him holding the koala and of the two of us. They were very nice. Very, very small park. Enclosure to feed kangeroos. About 20 of them. Free food. a wombat, some snakes and some crocidiles. That is it. My son loved it though because of holding the koala. He also enjoyed feeding all of the kangeroos.

We walked around Kuranda, had lunch and bought some things in the stores. Some stores had good prices and some stores were a rip off. We took the Skyrail back at about 2 pm.

I think that the Skyrail was highly overated and not worth the price. That being said, I would definitely recommend the Kuranda Koala Gardens because you get to hold a koala. If you have a car, it would be worth it to drive there yourself.

I also noticed in Cairns when we were at the Transit Mall waiting for the bus that they do have a bus direct to Kuranda. I think it said it was $ 7, which I would imagine is one way. Better than taking the Skyrail, in my opinion.

We did some shopping when we returned to Cairns. About 3 doors down from the Transit Mall is a shop called Price Busters. Excellent, excellent prices on shirts, hats, lanyards, cards, etcc. We bought a lot of gifts here. Went back twice in fact. Best prices around.

I would highly recommend the Novotel Oasis. Paid $ 139 a night on their website. Clean hotel with an excellent location for exploring Cairns.

If you are headed to Sydney, read my review.

3 Thank susan51864
UAE
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Looked at all the great reviews for Novotel and decided to book last minute for four nights stay on the hotel website. I booked breakfast for two and added the cost to my room. Since it was internet rate, the condition was that the full amount will be charged on my credit card immediately. On arrival to the hotel on 3rd August, we were initially given a room on 2nd floor. The room smelt damp and the air-conditioning made loud sounds randomly. I bought this to the attention of their staff and my room was changed to 6th floor. So far so good. Next day on 4th August we went to the coffee shop for the buffet breakfast and were told that breakfast was not included in the room price. I went to the reception to clarify and gave them my booking code. The lady was very rude and blunt. I told her I had booked on their website and breakfast had been paid for. I had made a copy of the hotel reservation on a cd and told her to look into the cd and see my booking reference. To my horror she said that she will recognize the booking copy that was taken from the official website of the hotel. I need to prove to her that the amount was indeed charged to my credit card and I need to produce a bank statement to prove that. Can you believe the nerve of this lady!!!! So I asked her where the hotel computers were and she guided to one corner. After waiting for 40 mins, I finally got to sit at the computer and logged onto to print my credit card statement. There I was using a public computer with my bank details splashed out the – and guess what, the printer was not working! I had to leave the computer desk and call the lady from reception to fix it. Of course she didn’t fix it and gave me an excuse that something was wrong with the website that I was trying to print from. Another guest who was also using the computer bought to her attention that the printer was not working for many days. By then 2 hours had passed and finally the lobby manager showed up. I had to explain my reservation mess up all over again and she said she needs to see on my credit card statement if the breakfast has been charged, I showed her the details on the computer and she apologized and said it was a mess up with their reservation department. Her explanation was that the reservation department charges the guest for the room and the breakfast is charged when the guest is residing at the hotel However in my case the reservation department had charged the full amount in advance. Is it my fault? According to the reception staff it was. The nerve of the lobby manager, she said that the hotel website was not actually affiliated to the hotel as it was part of accord hotel website, so Novotel can’t be held accountable for the mess up. So remember that if you book directly with the hotel, it does not necessarily guarantee transparency as they blame it on the Accord hotel site. So much for professionalism. By this time we had missed our breakfast and the buffet was closed. The lobby manager assured me that she will arrange for the breakfast for us. So my husband and myself went to the coffee shop. The lobby manager in a bid to make amends, started bringing out plates of food, without even asking us our dietary requirements. I am a vegetarian and my husband does not consume pork. All the food that was with meat and specially had pork. We left the coffee shop after consuming fruits and some dry bread.
Our misfortune did not end there. First night we had a huge cockroach roaming around in our bathroom. After 5 phone calls and waiting for 1 hour someone finally showed up. This man confirmed that the hotel was infested with cockroaches and we were lucky that there was only one. He then used pesticide and left. After this there was no follow up of any kind or even concern to find out what had happened to our cockroach problem.
The worst part was that when I went to check out on the last day, I was told again that the breakfast was not included in the room cost and that I will have to pay. The efficient lobby manager had not updated the mistake in the computer and I had go through the whole story again. Finally the lady at the reception went to back office to verify my story with the lobby manager and returned after a few minutes and apologized for the mistake. The lobby manager did not have the decency or courtesy to come out and apologize for the screw up.
I left the hotel with very bitter taste in my mouth. I warn all of you who wish to book through the internet directly with the hotel. As they have a scam going on. Many people book online for room inclusive of breakfast. The whole amount is then debited from the clients account. Once you check into the hotel, you are told that the rate for the room has been charged for but not breakfast. At this point they ask the client to produce a credit card statement to prove that the breakfast has been charged, which most of us don’t carry trusting the hotel will have correct information and end up paying for the breakfast all over again. Imagine how much money this hotel must have made like this? Tons. Do they care? Of course not. I am sure everyone gets a bit of the extra cash. Beware and don’t stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chariot70

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Overall, the Novotel in Cairns was acceptable. The pool was nice, with a sandy beach (really!), but we weren't in Cairns for a hotel pool. The included breakfast was good and the service was also okay. The room, however, was not as expected. In general, it was not as clean as it could have been; the carpeting was dirty and there was mildew in the shower. I recommend the surrounding places (the Daintree and Great Barrier Reef) much more than Cairns itself. Unlike many other guests, I LOVED the bats!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank appelhans
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I stayed here for a week while exploring the area and found it to be an excellent hotel with a very friendly staff. The room was clean and of a nice size and had a good view of the town. The hotel is two blocks from the Esplanade, which means it's not noisy but it's an easy walk to dozens of restaurants and the piers for reef tours. I used the tour desk to set up a tour to the Daintree and found the person pleasant and the tour excellent. The pool has a lovely sand mini-beach entrance and was large and enjoyable. I used the guest laundry there, which was a little hard to find (it's in the car park), but was clean and had plenty of machines. There also were several computers that offered 20 minutes of free, fast Internet access to guests and that was a nice treat. The staff was exceptionally friendly, whether it was to provide coins for the laundry or to help work out a billing issue.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank carl0086
Victoria
Reviewed 26 July 2009

After staying at the Mantra Aqueous on Port (in Port Douglas) this hotel was very impressive.

The hotel was very clean with large good sized rooms. The pool was fantastic with a sandy area for kids, although sometimes early afternoon it could be difficult to get a lounger by the pool. The pool was also open until about 10pm and while is was a bi cool to swim at night was nice to sit by. The swim up bar was also good with a range of drinks and meals which could be ordered pool side. There was often a bowl of apple in the lobby for people to help themselves to and the bar inside the hotel was very classy.

The rooms had a shower over a bath however there was no spa in the rooms or pool area. The rooms were clean and bed was very soft. There was an iron and kettle but no toaster in the rooms. There was a large mini bar (the fridge was fully of stuff we had to move to be able to use the fridge at all).

The hotel had about 5 computers which guests could use the internet on for free, 2 of which you could print from. We found this to be great, although the computers sometimes would be out of order or all being used by kids googling pictures of movie stars for long periods of time which was a bit frustrating.

After a few nights we had a problem with bugs in our room and in particular our bed. I ended up quite badly bitten and then had an allergic reaction to the cream I put on the bites so ended up a bit unwell. After asking for our sheets to be changed the bugs were still there (and it did not appear they had made much of an attempt to get rid of the bugs) we changed rooms and this did not happen again. Apparently these bugs are a common problem in Cairns.

On our last night there was a wedding and we were fairly close to the function room and found the music to be extremely loud. This did stop at midnight however we were unable to sleep at all before then.

The staff were all friendly and helped us with any problems we had. Car parking was available although not needed as this hotel is in an excellent central location. Despite other reports this hotel is very close to the esplanade (3 small blocks) and shops.

We would highly recommend this hotel for its facilities, location and cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole A
Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I was originally checked into a room overlooking trees containing hundreds of bats, which was noisy and had caused the room to stink of bat. I raised this with reception and to their credit they promptly moved me to a room that didn't have that problem.
The pool area, with swim-up bar is very impressive, though a spa would have made a nice addition. Rooms were on the small side but beds were comfortable and the inclusion of hot chocolate in the in-room tea/coffee selection was to be applauded. TV channel selection was good and the bar downstairs was pretty decent.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo