“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

Stayed at the Cairns Novotel Oasis for 5 nights. Great location, within easy walking distance to Cairns centre and Reef Fleet Terminal. Lots of places to eat on the Esplanade two blocks away. The lagoon pool is great with a little sandy beach and a swim up bar, my only regret was that the only time I used it was in the afternoon after returning from the Reef when the sun was hidden behind the resort buildings.
Friendly staff, especially at the Tour Desk. I ended up booking four trips in total, three to the Reef and one to Kuranda. The tour that the agent recommended (Ocean Freedom) turned out to be one of the best days of my life. Got to see a lot of the Reef that a lot of other tourists don't get to see, and since there were only about 20 other young people on the boat, it was like being at a private party on someone's boat! Would definitely recommend it over the larger tour operators for its personal attention, and I'm glad it was recommended to me. Well worth the money and very reasonably priced for what you get!
The hotel is close to a Woolworths where you can buy supplies rather cheaply. The hotel bar fridge was a little too crammed with stuff, so I had to remove some stuff to use it. The bathroom was clean and even had a clothes line over the bath which was handy to dry out swimmers. I stupidly bought a beach towel before leaving home and didn't wash it beforehand, so when I went to use it, I was covered in lint. Luckily, the hotel provided beach towels for use. I ended up taking one every day on trips to the Reef, and I could tell by the striped blue design of the towel that I wasn't the only hotel guest to do so! I told them at reception, and they didn't seem to mind. On my last day, my flight out was late in the afternoon, and they allowed me to borrow the towel for the day so that I could go swimming at the Esplanade pool, even though I checked out at 11am. A simple thing, but very much appreciated.
There were only a few things I found fault with, but nothing really major. The hotel was non-smoking, which meant being a smoker, I couldn't light up as soon as I woke up without having to shower and look presentable enough to walk past Reception! It would have been nice to light up and enjoy the pool view, but oh well!
One day, I came back from a Reef trip at 5pm, and the maid was just starting to make up my room. I told her she needn't bother by that time, and I just requested extra milk/coffee and towels. She was very apologetic and it was fine. But I didn't expect that in a 4 and half star hotel, my room would be serviced so late in the day. Finally, the sugar provided in the little sachets was often gluggy. It sounds petty, but most times, it was unusable, and I needed to buy my own from Woolworths to have sugar in my coffee each morning.
But overall, it was a great stay, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to people planning a tropical holiday in Cairns. According to the website, the price per night is about to double for some reason, so I suggest you look around for cheap deals through other websites. It's worth it!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank andrewstuart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manado, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

be prepare for an awesome stay ... walking distance to central Cairns and all the attractions.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2009

stayed in this hotel for 5 nights; the rooms are very nice, just a twin room was rather big, and the beds are nice;
the breakfast is also nice, but very little vegetables.
when i looked the review of this hotel befor coming nobody wrote about the sea, there are no beaches neaby, the closest ones are in 20 km(palme cove), though i took two day tours to fairomont islands and to the coral reef. ther i did a lot of snorkling and sunbathing and i reccomend it.
the location is central, 10 min to convention center and five to a shopping mall,15-20 min from the airport.
the hotel has a very nice pool, it is rather small, 25 meters i think, but it has a sandy beach and nice sunbathing area around it.
there is a nice night bar fabric on the esplanade, it is about 5min walk from the hotel.
and also recommend a bushfire restaurant, fire and grill, the best one, it is about &àmin walk.
also freee wifi in the lobby, and several pcs.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Hope Valley, Adelaide, South Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

Wonderful hotel with extremely friendly and helpful staff. Great place for families with young kids as there is a beautiful lagoon pool with a beach at one end for the kis to play in. You can also pre-order BBQ/Salad packs and cook your own dinner by the pool and enjoy the lovely gardens. Also has a swim up bar serving cocktails etc. and delicious food, which was reasonably priced. As we were there in July, the pool was quite cold and we could not stay in for very long, which was a bit of a let down. We had just come from Burleigh Heads and they had a heated pool, which was great for our 13 y.o. son. Only real complaint was that the room was quite small. We had 3 suitcases and there was only room to put 1 on a shelf. The other 2 were on the floor and in our way most of the time, taking up even more room. Comfy beds and delicious buffett breakfast.
Would go back again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

Stayed for 4 nights in late August 2009.
Internet rate of $139 p/night. Rate included a promotion for a free night at any Novotel property in Australia within the next 6 months (after registration).

Room was modern and clean with all basic amenities including toiletries, tissues and facewasher. We ordered room service breakfast and dinner once. The prices were reasonable and the food was fresh and tasty. Not a huge selection for breakfast but dinner was more varied.

10-15 mins walk to the Reef Fleet terminal. Same again to the central train station. Nice and close to the great Esplanade area which was really pleasant to walk around in the evening.

Staff were helpful and friendly enough. Pretty much what I expected from a large hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

About us: 45 year old mom and 16 year old son, both of whom have traveled to Europe 3 times.

Arrived in Cairns from Sydney on Tueday, August 25th at 1:30 pm.

10 minute ride in taxi to Novotel Cairns Oasis on Lake Street, $ 18.20. Room was ready, checked in.

Very nice hotel, great beds. Refrig. in room is loaded with their snacks and drinks for sale. I emptied onto counter to use space for the things we were going to buy.

We walked to the Esplanade to have lunch. McDonald's right there, same prices as United States for combo meals. Also saw Subway, $ 7 for a footlong.

We walked to Coles Supermarket, about 10 minutes from the Esplanade in the opposite direction. Located in a mall at Cairns Central RR Station, between Spence Street and Alpin Street. Lots of stores in the mall and places to eat. Also, a Target store. Very, very expensive Target store though, not like in the United States. Bought soda, water and chips for hotel. $ 1.07 for 1 liter of soda. Good prices on Coles brand chips and cookies. Had brought a reusuable bag from back home to carry groceries in.

Tired when returned to hotel, about 6 pm. Ordered Pizza Hut, they deliver right to your room. [--] (yes, they only have 6 digits, not 7) and this is a local call, which the hotel charges $.80 each for. 1 large pizza, garlic bread and 12 wings for $ 30.40, which includes their delivery charge. Plenty for 2 people, even if one if a teenaged boy.

Day 2, Weds, August 26th:

Before leaving home, I had booked a snorkeling trip with Passions of Paradise. $ 278 for two adults. 10 minute walk to the Reef Terminal from the hotel. 1 1/2 hours snorkeling at Michelas Cay and 1 hour at 2nd stop. Lunch was a hot lamb or vegetable stew (which they served you), cold cuts platter, rolls, prawns, salad, chick peas and potato salad. Boat holds 80 people, 73 people on this trip. All round tables inside, advertised as airconditioned but was not. Pretty warm in there. Benches on top deck or you could sit on the floor. Not alot of space. We had a very good time though and my son wanted to snorkel again the next day.

Went back to hotel and booked another snokeling trip with the hotel consultant. Hotel Consultant works 9 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 8 pm. Charges the same prices as in the brochures, no markup. Booked with Silverswift. Paid $ 316 for 2 adults, plus had to pay $ 10 reef tax at Reef Terminal when signing in. (This reef tax was included in the price with Passions of Paradise, so everyone pays it)

Day 3, Thursday, August 27th: Silverswift snokeling trip. This trip has 3 stops, Flynn Reef, Millin Reef and Thatford Reef. The Silverswift is part of the Quicksilver company, which owns numerous boats. The 3 stops were 1 1/2 hours, 1 hour and 1 hour, so we had plenty of snorkeling time. Left the last snokeling spot at 3:15 and were back in port at 4:15 pm. Also, this boat left at 8:30 and was to arrive at 4:30. Passions of Paradise leaves at 8 am and arrives at 5 pm. Silverswift is a much faster boat. Had much more snokeling time, it was worth the extra price.

Also, the Silverswift was a much nicer boat. Boat holds 90 people. There are high back seats on the lower deck and the upper deck. There are also seats and benches outside on the back upper deck and a place to lay down on the front lower deck. Also had 2 changing rooms, so you didn't have to change in the bathroom, as you did on the Passions of Paradise.

Day 4, Friday, August 28th:

Walked to the Transit Mall at the corner of Lake Streets and Sheild Streets to ride the 1X bus to the Skyrail Terminal. $ 3.60 one way each, 25 minute ride. I had printed out the schedule from home before we left. What they don't tell you, is that buses that leave the Transit Mall before 9 am do not stop at the Skyrail Terminal, evern though the Skyrail opens at 9 am. Therefore, we waited for the 8:57 am bus, could not take the 8:27 bus.

Bus drops you off in the parking lot. Remember where you get off, as that is the bus stop to get back on later. Sign says bus stop and has the schedule of buses. Remember to take the bus back to Cairns Center, not toward Palm Cove, etc.. I always ask before I board a bus.

Walked in and bought tickets, no line. $ 59 for both ways, each. Not crowded, was able to ride in the cable car ourselves. Got off at the first boardwalk and walked around. Don't bother.

At the next boardwalk, we opted not to get out. Very nice views. Once we arrived in Kuranda, we headed straight to the Koala Gradens, which was our intended destination. $ 18 each to get in, plus $ 15 for a photo to hold the koala. Yes, in Queensland you can hold the koala, whereas you cannot hold the koala in Sydney. My son had his picture taken holding the koala, and they also took several pictures with my carmera of him holding the koala and of the two of us. They were very nice. Very, very small park. Enclosure to feed kangeroos. About 20 of them. Free food. a wombat, some snakes and some crocidiles. That is it. My son loved it though because of holding the koala. He also enjoyed feeding all of the kangeroos.

We walked around Kuranda, had lunch and bought some things in the stores. Some stores had good prices and some stores were a rip off. We took the Skyrail back at about 2 pm.

I think that the Skyrail was highly overated and not worth the price. That being said, I would definitely recommend the Kuranda Koala Gardens because you get to hold a koala. If you have a car, it would be worth it to drive there yourself.

I also noticed in Cairns when we were at the Transit Mall waiting for the bus that they do have a bus direct to Kuranda. I think it said it was $ 7, which I would imagine is one way. Better than taking the Skyrail, in my opinion.

We did some shopping when we returned to Cairns. About 3 doors down from the Transit Mall is a shop called Price Busters. Excellent, excellent prices on shirts, hats, lanyards, cards, etcc. We bought a lot of gifts here. Went back twice in fact. Best prices around.

I would highly recommend the Novotel Oasis. Paid $ 139 a night on their website. Clean hotel with an excellent location for exploring Cairns.

If you are headed to Sydney, read my review.

3 Thank susan51864
UAE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

Looked at all the great reviews for Novotel and decided to book last minute for four nights stay on the hotel website. I booked breakfast for two and added the cost to my room. Since it was internet rate, the condition was that the full amount will be charged on my credit card immediately. On arrival to the hotel on 3rd August, we were initially given a room on 2nd floor. The room smelt damp and the air-conditioning made loud sounds randomly. I bought this to the attention of their staff and my room was changed to 6th floor. So far so good. Next day on 4th August we went to the coffee shop for the buffet breakfast and were told that breakfast was not included in the room price. I went to the reception to clarify and gave them my booking code. The lady was very rude and blunt. I told her I had booked on their website and breakfast had been paid for. I had made a copy of the hotel reservation on a cd and told her to look into the cd and see my booking reference. To my horror she said that she will recognize the booking copy that was taken from the official website of the hotel. I need to prove to her that the amount was indeed charged to my credit card and I need to produce a bank statement to prove that. Can you believe the nerve of this lady!!!! So I asked her where the hotel computers were and she guided to one corner. After waiting for 40 mins, I finally got to sit at the computer and logged onto to print my credit card statement. There I was using a public computer with my bank details splashed out the – and guess what, the printer was not working! I had to leave the computer desk and call the lady from reception to fix it. Of course she didn’t fix it and gave me an excuse that something was wrong with the website that I was trying to print from. Another guest who was also using the computer bought to her attention that the printer was not working for many days. By then 2 hours had passed and finally the lobby manager showed up. I had to explain my reservation mess up all over again and she said she needs to see on my credit card statement if the breakfast has been charged, I showed her the details on the computer and she apologized and said it was a mess up with their reservation department. Her explanation was that the reservation department charges the guest for the room and the breakfast is charged when the guest is residing at the hotel However in my case the reservation department had charged the full amount in advance. Is it my fault? According to the reception staff it was. The nerve of the lobby manager, she said that the hotel website was not actually affiliated to the hotel as it was part of accord hotel website, so Novotel can’t be held accountable for the mess up. So remember that if you book directly with the hotel, it does not necessarily guarantee transparency as they blame it on the Accord hotel site. So much for professionalism. By this time we had missed our breakfast and the buffet was closed. The lobby manager assured me that she will arrange for the breakfast for us. So my husband and myself went to the coffee shop. The lobby manager in a bid to make amends, started bringing out plates of food, without even asking us our dietary requirements. I am a vegetarian and my husband does not consume pork. All the food that was with meat and specially had pork. We left the coffee shop after consuming fruits and some dry bread.
Our misfortune did not end there. First night we had a huge cockroach roaming around in our bathroom. After 5 phone calls and waiting for 1 hour someone finally showed up. This man confirmed that the hotel was infested with cockroaches and we were lucky that there was only one. He then used pesticide and left. After this there was no follow up of any kind or even concern to find out what had happened to our cockroach problem.
The worst part was that when I went to check out on the last day, I was told again that the breakfast was not included in the room cost and that I will have to pay. The efficient lobby manager had not updated the mistake in the computer and I had go through the whole story again. Finally the lady at the reception went to back office to verify my story with the lobby manager and returned after a few minutes and apologized for the mistake. The lobby manager did not have the decency or courtesy to come out and apologize for the screw up.
I left the hotel with very bitter taste in my mouth. I warn all of you who wish to book through the internet directly with the hotel. As they have a scam going on. Many people book online for room inclusive of breakfast. The whole amount is then debited from the clients account. Once you check into the hotel, you are told that the rate for the room has been charged for but not breakfast. At this point they ask the client to produce a credit card statement to prove that the breakfast has been charged, which most of us don’t carry trusting the hotel will have correct information and end up paying for the breakfast all over again. Imagine how much money this hotel must have made like this? Tons. Do they care? Of course not. I am sure everyone gets a bit of the extra cash. Beware and don’t stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Chariot70

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels