“Looks nothing like their website, but good hotel!”

Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Its true... it doesn't look like the oasis in their website, but still a good hotel in a very central location in Cairns. The rooms are the only thing that lets it down - dated and a little shabby, especially the bathrooms.

Saying that the front desk were helpful, and also the tourist desk for booking trips to the reef and Daintree rainforest. Also the pool was nice, and not that busy. Breakfast is advertised at $28 each but negotiate on the desk - I got it for $12.50 but you have to mention when checking in. There is also free internet in the lobby but not in your rooms.

My door broke during my stay and i couldnt open it twice, but it was fixed the next day. Its quite noisy though in the corridors with a huge gap around my door so you hear every noise outside. Also my room adjoined another and it was like I was sharing a room with someone else...Take some earplugs!

I would recommend it as it has all the features you need - but Novotel - upgrade your rooms please!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort

Reviewed 7 October 2009

Excellent location, delicious restaurant, fabulous pool

Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed one night at the Novotel Cairns Oasis. A large complex with everything you could want. Free internet access in the lobby, nice little kids corner, gorgeous outdoor pool with pool bar and sandy beach. Our room was clean and comfortable, really comfy beds. Excellent breakfast - variety of hot options as well as standard cereals, toasts, fruits. I'm gluten free and was pleased to find the staff very accommodating - they had gluten free bread and happily prepared a special breakfast for me when I asked.
Only problem was being right near the lift - I was woken by less considerate guests talking loudly on their way down to an early (6.30am!) breakfast.
Cairns itself was a bit underwhelming, but we were very happy with the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Only pet peeve was having to head outside from one building to another-a covered connection would help when it was raining.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Stayed at the Cairns Novotel Oasis for 5 nights. Great location, within easy walking distance to Cairns centre and Reef Fleet Terminal. Lots of places to eat on the Esplanade two blocks away. The lagoon pool is great with a little sandy beach and a swim up bar, my only regret was that the only time I used it was in the afternoon after returning from the Reef when the sun was hidden behind the resort buildings.
Friendly staff, especially at the Tour Desk. I ended up booking four trips in total, three to the Reef and one to Kuranda. The tour that the agent recommended (Ocean Freedom) turned out to be one of the best days of my life. Got to see a lot of the Reef that a lot of other tourists don't get to see, and since there were only about 20 other young people on the boat, it was like being at a private party on someone's boat! Would definitely recommend it over the larger tour operators for its personal attention, and I'm glad it was recommended to me. Well worth the money and very reasonably priced for what you get!
The hotel is close to a Woolworths where you can buy supplies rather cheaply. The hotel bar fridge was a little too crammed with stuff, so I had to remove some stuff to use it. The bathroom was clean and even had a clothes line over the bath which was handy to dry out swimmers. I stupidly bought a beach towel before leaving home and didn't wash it beforehand, so when I went to use it, I was covered in lint. Luckily, the hotel provided beach towels for use. I ended up taking one every day on trips to the Reef, and I could tell by the striped blue design of the towel that I wasn't the only hotel guest to do so! I told them at reception, and they didn't seem to mind. On my last day, my flight out was late in the afternoon, and they allowed me to borrow the towel for the day so that I could go swimming at the Esplanade pool, even though I checked out at 11am. A simple thing, but very much appreciated.
There were only a few things I found fault with, but nothing really major. The hotel was non-smoking, which meant being a smoker, I couldn't light up as soon as I woke up without having to shower and look presentable enough to walk past Reception! It would have been nice to light up and enjoy the pool view, but oh well!
One day, I came back from a Reef trip at 5pm, and the maid was just starting to make up my room. I told her she needn't bother by that time, and I just requested extra milk/coffee and towels. She was very apologetic and it was fine. But I didn't expect that in a 4 and half star hotel, my room would be serviced so late in the day. Finally, the sugar provided in the little sachets was often gluggy. It sounds petty, but most times, it was unusable, and I needed to buy my own from Woolworths to have sugar in my coffee each morning.
But overall, it was a great stay, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to people planning a tropical holiday in Cairns. According to the website, the price per night is about to double for some reason, so I suggest you look around for cheap deals through other websites. It's worth it!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank andrewstuart
Reviewed 14 September 2009

be prepare for an awesome stay ... walking distance to central Cairns and all the attractions.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2009

stayed in this hotel for 5 nights; the rooms are very nice, just a twin room was rather big, and the beds are nice;
the breakfast is also nice, but very little vegetables.
when i looked the review of this hotel befor coming nobody wrote about the sea, there are no beaches neaby, the closest ones are in 20 km(palme cove), though i took two day tours to fairomont islands and to the coral reef. ther i did a lot of snorkling and sunbathing and i reccomend it.
the location is central, 10 min to convention center and five to a shopping mall,15-20 min from the airport.
the hotel has a very nice pool, it is rather small, 25 meters i think, but it has a sandy beach and nice sunbathing area around it.
there is a nice night bar fabric on the esplanade, it is about 5min walk from the hotel.
and also recommend a bushfire restaurant, fire and grill, the best one, it is about &àmin walk.
also freee wifi in the lobby, and several pcs.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple