“Great place but gardener wakes you up early”

and 1 more site!
Trinity Links Resort and Apartments
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
“Great place but gardener wakes you up early”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

A lovely resort with friendly reception, Pam was very helpful. However, don't expect a leisurely sleep in. The gardener starts the motors at 8am and that is it. Sadly, no more sleep. Rooms are lovely but now I am sleep deprived.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank EveeJ

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed at Trinity Links for a single night only the night before this review. I did not check the tripadvisor reviews on this accommodation before staying there. This is very unusual for me, however on this occasion a family member was using Worldmark points for our accommodation. We needed a single night after having flown into Cairns overnight from Bali and wanted somewhere for some decent sleep before the drive home. At least we got the sleep...

I am not at all surprised now to have read the previous reviews in which people have spoken of the 'rudeness' and 'gastapo like' attitude of the managers Ursula and Ross. Although my only dealing with Ross was on the phone prior to arrival and this was satisfactory, my dealing with Ursula on check-in mirrored those previous reviews. I felt that Ursula's main intent when going through the rules was to ensure that nothing we did inconvenienced her in anyway at all, and to ensure we knew that any such inconvenience would result in additional financial expense to us. Although using the Worldmark points for the accommodation, there was a charge of $120 for cleaning of the room. Despite this, I was informed that if we failed to empty our rubbish prior to checkout, we would be charged an additional amount. I'm not sure why the $120 cleaning fee already paid would not cover emptying of rubbish bins!

Without knowing that the usual check-in time was 4pm (assuming it to be 2pm) I arrived at 1.20pm hoping to get in a little early so we could get some sleep. In hoping for a little understanding I explained to Ursula that we had left Bali at 11:15pm the previous evening and had not slept since, I was informed "Everyone has a story like you". I was allowed early access, but was also informed the usual check-in time was stated on my confirmation and felt like I was being scolded like a child for not reading this properly.

The apartments themselves were satisfactory although the bottom sheets on the bed did not reach all the way to the foot of the bed, leaving about 3 inches or so of the mattress protector exposed. The pools did look very nice however we were not here long enough to make use of them. The location is terrible as it is WAY south of the centre of Cairns so if you are on vacation and want easy access to tourist type locations, this is not for you. For us, it suited our purpose simply because it had beds. Also, there is no facilities such as a restaurant or café, so going out to either get groceries or a meal is the only option.

For a specific purpose, this could be reasonable accommodation but on the basis of how I felt unwelcome, I would certainly recommend staying elsewhere and will never return again. I find it interesting that of the 25 previous reviews dating back to 2005, the only response from management (in 2008) claimed that the manager subject of previous bad reviews had left and the new management had a different attitude, yet the bad reviews have piled up since then and not a single response. Either they are not reading the Tripadvisor reviews, or just don't care, but clearly there is a reason for this many poor reviews with similar complaints.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank DBSTEHR

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Newcastle
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is a beautiful property but I would not call it a resort. It would be more accurately described as a gated residential community. It does have a lovely swimming pool & spa area with beautifully tended gardens, and a small barbeque area. There is also a tennis court & Golf course next door. But all equipment is expensive to hire & the office is only open during business hours.
Unfortunately on our arrival at shortly after 5pm the office was closed & upon phoning the after-hours number we were told how to retrieve our key from the safe. We found this a little unwelcoming. The next morning when we went to reception to officially check in the manager although not friendly was not rude & was happy to answer our questions.
If you are wanting a holiday amongst restaurants & nightlife this is not the place for you. Despite the fact that we were way out in the suburbs we did enjoy our stay, but a rental car is a must as the property is a 15 minute drive in to Cairns city centre. Our apartment was beautiful with everything we could want. It was newly refurbished & tastefully decorated. In busy times perhaps the noise coming from the pool could be a little disturbing but during our stay we found the laughter of happy children quite pleasant.

Room Tip: For peace & quite ask for a room away from the pool area.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Oldandnew
Southern California
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Depending on what you're looking for, this may or may not be a suitable place for you. If we had it to do all over again, we would not stay here. But that's just us.

My family of 4, including our 2 boys ages 9 & 11, are from Los Angeles. We stayed at this place for 4 nights - mainly so that we could go see the Great Barrier Reef.

Our flight arrived at noon, yet check-in wasn't until 4:00pm. We figured we could go early and drop off our bags....and then explore the town until our room was ready. Well much to our dismay, when we arrived at 1:00pm, the office was closed up for the day!!! We fumbled around and figured out that there's an intercom to an after-hours number. They said we had to return at 4:00 and our keys would be left in a combination safe. This was somewhat disappointing because we were really hoping to speak w/ the staff about the excursions and bookings, but whatever....

ROOMS: Our room was roomy - we got a 3-bedroom, ground floor. It was very nice that we could just walk out and into the pool....there was a nice outdoor table. The kitchen was a nice size and was well-equipped.

INTERNET: There is no wifi on the property. No internet in the rooms (GASP!!!) You can use their PC in the office to the tune of $2 per 15 minutes. Yea, that didn't go over so well with the kids' and their iPads. Or with my husband and I who needed to check in with our offices from time to time. We did get a mobile hotspot from Hertz when we rented the car, but that was a buzz kill too. Slow as 1995 dial-up, and it sucks up megabytes like a Hummer uses gasoline.

LOCATION: This is going to depend on what suits you. This place is definitely not in the middle of the action. It is aways away from the main drag and is quiet. But you need a car to get around, definitely. So factor that into your cost. We figured we could have stayed in a much better place on the beach for the same amount of money we spent on this place + the car, and with less hassle. But if you're into having a place off the beaten path, then this would be ideal.

COFFEE: If you're used to brewing a nice cup of coffee an enjoying it out on the verandah, well you'll be disappointed. They only have a french press and instant coffee. I tried my best to talk myself into enjoying either of these and no such luck. Both were yuck. So I had to drive about 1 mile away to a coffee shop.....that kind of screwed up my morning plans of lazying around in my jammies.

RECEPTION: They are only open 8:00-5:00. And they're closed early on Sundays. So here's the thing - you feel a little abandoned when you're a foreigner in another country without someone readily available. We did not have any issues with the pleasantness of the staff - they were all very helpful. But the limited hours was bothersome. They were very informed about the local tours and booked ours for us. We appreciated that - we just missed them when they were closed.

ANTS: There are these little tiny sugar ants that are apparently normal. They crawl everywhere - in the kitchen and the bathrooms, on the toothbrushes. I am a germ-a-phobe and clean everything. Still had ants. There wasn't much we could do about it, I suppose, so we had to live with it.

We did like the overall spaciousness of the place. And the pool was beautiful. It was just not our cup of tea (or coffee)!!!

Room Tip: If you don't get the ground floor, you're schlepping your bags up flights of stairs. I'...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I seriously believe all the negative reviews I read on this place were completely unjustified. I found the management and staff to be helpful and courteous, not a hint of the rudeness described by other guests. The rooms were excellent, spacious and very well maintained. In fact my wife and I said that we would like t return there in the future.

Room Tip: Don't make a choice based on reviews!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Stephen S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2013

My family and I had the misfortune to stay at this property last week. I am a frequent Worldmark traveller and have never been so insulted ever in my life. The management was rude and constantly made you feel like they were doing you a favour. I had planned this family holiday for a long time and needless to say was really looking forward to it until I met Ursula & Ross (Trinity Links Management. When we checked in, we were laid down the rules and regulations in such a gastapo manner it was unreal. When we got to our rooms we discovered that it was dusty, dirty, the linen on the beds were dirty still had blood stains on the sheet from the previous tenant. When I reported this to Ursula she apologised but did not take any responsibilty instead she blamed the company who did their laundry. I advised that it was plain to see that the sheets had not been changed, I was handed two boxes of clean sheets and had to make up the beds by myself. The pull out sofa was disgusting when we opened it, the amount of dust and dirt that came out of it was horrible. Again Ursula did not take responsibility, this time she blamed it on Wyndham and said that they refused to change over the sofas so we are stuck with it. The pool was dirty and the Spa was cold for the entire 8 days that we were there and the rooms were not serviced once during our stay. Why are we paying for housekeeping then!!On the morning of our last day, I had gone up to reception and requested a late check out on one of the three apartments as our plane had been delayed by several hours and just really needed the room for the toilets for the little kids. The lady(Naomi who attended reception at the time agreed to a 1.30pm check out for the one apartment only which was great.However at 12.05pm I received a call from Ursula telling me to get out NOW as I was holding up there cleaning process, I asked what cleaning because none of our rooms were clean upon our arrival. 5 minutes later she was around with Ross taking pictures of the apartment while we were trying to pack up. I advised that it is a pity that they are not so dilligent in checking the apartments before guest arrive like they are when you are leaving. I have already informed Wyndham about their bad behaviour and hopefully something will be done about it. Do your self a favour and never go there, the management are more concerned with big noting themselves then actually doing their jobs. I dont believe they or their staff would know the first thing about service. Absolutely loved Cairns but will never return to that resort ever again.

Room Tip: Ground floor apartments are better as there are no lifts so you would have to climb three flights of...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Fatima E
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Place is located outside of town Centre– need to have own transport (if not happy to use public transport or pay$$ taxi fares). The place looks great from the outside until you enter the reception area – umm, ok, but the room left us speechless. Broken light switch, one air Cond control for all to use(3bdroom) spent time going to each room turning on and off or adjusting temp. Mold growing in showers, broken screen,the unit felt dirty, old and out dated. We had a unit overlooking the pool and we never saw pool being clean, garden debris floating around. Reception hours was only during day light hours. On our departure we were unable to use keys/cards to open front gate to place keys into safe as request on departing letter nor given a code to open it !on my never return accommadation list.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family