“Just Brilliant”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Third visit to the Sebel over the last three years. Absolutely love it. Staff are excellent and seem to know when you want assistance and when you want privacy. Stayed in an executive suite this time which was very quiet and private. Food was great. Very rare to stay somewhere and not have even a raised eyebrow at something.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Westridgej
Write a ReviewReviews (2,250)

Reviewed 3 June 2011

I came to the Cairns Sebel for a quick business trip for North Queensland and was lucky enough to be based at this great hotel. The breakfast buffet is probably the best I hae ever had and the service is always not only efficient but polite. due to the fantastic breakfast I decided to give the seafood buffet a go and yet again everything was fantastic. The drinks in the lobby bar were always good and there was always a comfy couch to enjoy my hard earned wine (or occasional mojito). During my stay I decidedto have a facial at the spa and it was soooooo relaxing!! Overall the staff were great and the Hotel is very well maintained. I reccommend this hotel to anyone going to Cairns

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2011

POSITIVES: we stayed for 3 nights, the hotel is inviting and the foyer n exterior is amazing, the outdoor pool was very pretty although the pool was freezung cold and only one spa was heated so no one barely used the pool n ppl were just taking turns in the spa. the elevator service was fast. the place was clean and smelt nice and housekeepers were friendly.

NEGATIVES: to use the internet for half hour was $16. The beds were really short my legs were hanging off and im only average height. the television was a thick retro 9" that was amazing 20 years ago. thier minibar had expired candy that was out of date a month ago. the pool was cold. NOT A FIVE STAR HOTEL!!!! i will submit photos

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank pennypoopoo
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Imagine how pleased I was to score this hotel at the massively discounted price. A bit over 1/4 of the advertised rate on a 2 night package. Now imagine how disappointed I was to realise that if you're paying much over this then you could do so much better in another hotel.

I'd previously stayed across the road at the Pacific International but I thought I'd try another hotel since the PI was, itself, nice but not brilliant. I knew where the Sebel was and I remembered that it looked expensive - which I assumed would mean the rooms were good. I'd also stayed at other Sebels previously and had been impressed.

Since I needed an early check-in I contacted the hotel by phone. The automated telephone system rang a few alarm bells. It sounded cheap and kept looping. I eventually got through to reception though and was happy with the service - in fact in the 2 or 3 times I had occasion to deal with anybody at reception I thought the staff were excellent... not 5 star excellent, more like 2 or 3 star excellent, i.e. they were friendly and helpful, but weren't hospitality professionals.

The room looked OK, too. The bathroom was clean and the view over the city to the mountains was nice - the trouble was with the sleep quality. I rarely have problems falling asleep in a hotel, quite the opposite and after pulling an all-nighter I was falling asleep in front of the TV by 6:30pm that night. I kept waking up every now and again but was too tired to think about why.

The why, as it turned out when I was more awake the next day, was that every time the toilet was flushed upstairs it was like a bomb going off in the bathroom - the cacophony started about 7am the next morning. During the night I could also hear snoring from the neighbouring room.

What else can I say? Car parking is $20 (valet parking only) when free street parking is just around the corner. The internet connection didn't work. The pool deck was nice. Location-wise it's no better or worse than the other 5 star hotels in Cairns CBD.

That's all I I can think to say about the Cairns Sebel, the reception staff were good, the hotel itself was nice... but the sleep quality was awful - The PI is a better bet, although next time I'll try the Hilton, The Harbour Lights or the Shan gri la, maybe.

Room Tip: Overpriced, noisy rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I stayed in the Sebel numerous times over a period of 3 months.

I went back again and again. It is clean, the staff are professional efficient and curteous. The lobby and reception area is spacious, calm and relaxed.

Its central, although that doesn't mean much in cairns where everything is quite tight to the "CBD"

Sometimes you can bum out on a view, which is dissapointing if you have specified a harbour view and you don't get it.

The internet pricing is diabolical, when will hotels learn that this is a bit of an insult to customers.

I had a small run in with reception after the concierge wouldn't collect the car I'd valet parked, 24 hours later and without any prompting I recieved an apology email from the manager with a discounted bill which was FANTASTIC customer management.. TBH it was a rented 20 year old ute and was manual

A great Hotel in a great place. I will go to it first time every time I'm in Cairns

Room Tip: confirm the view you want at reception
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed three nights at the Sebel. It's a very beautiful hotel, very colonial and spacious. The room was large, had balcony and big bathroom. We looked right out over the water (Harbour View room I think - not the cheapest but not the most expensive??) It was really nice watching the boats go in and out in the mornings.

The hotel is very close to everything, we walking down to go on our reef trip and it took less than 5 minutes. Same to go to the restaurants and shops.

Very pleasant trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I stayed here 1 night for business and it was a lovely hotel and well-furnished room with an excellent view and a comfortable bed. The en-suite was the size of my bedroom at home. Unfortunately, I was unable to do any sight-seeing, but its location is between the promenade and the main strip, but if you wish to head to a grog-shop, you've got a 1km walk ahead of you. I found my room was perfect for a quiet drink on the balcony with a lovely view of Cairns at dusk.

My colleague and I enjoyed a dinner in the restaurant. The service was not the best, but the food was fancy and despite being unsubstantial, filled me up. The buffet breakfast was also quite enjoyable... except maybe the scrambled eggs.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed the furthest floor up possible.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business