“beautiful hotel”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 22 August 2012

we stayed for 4 nights on a business trip & were lucky enough to be placed on the 15th floor - amazing view of the city & the room is beautful.
One thing I did notice that unless I placed my little door hanging sign on the front of the door stating that I would like my room 'refreshed', then this didn't happen until quite late in the day - so if you are leaving early, get your little sign out so you can have the room attended to promptly.

The staff are really friendly & many different cultures are working in the hotel which would no doubt cater for the myriad of international travellers that come to Cairns.

A lot of our business trip was held in the large foyer (lunches, drinks, etc) & some of the staff looked bored out of their brains when it is quiet. You can always pick a staff member trying to look busy when it is not - perhaps management could find them other duties whilst they wait.

I would most definitely come back to the Sebel - everything is is walking distance.

Worst part is the slow wi-fi. Don't bother & bring your own device to connect. The function rooms also have poor coverage so don't even bother trying to use your mobile as it is near on impossible & it drains your battery too.

Room Tip: we stayed on level 15 - called the 'Premier Level'... definitely worth the extra $$ for a ki...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,221)

Reviewed 21 August 2012

The entry to this hotel is very impressive, and well appointed. Whilst we didn't eat at the restaurant, the lounge/ bar area was very comfortable and serves a lovely high tea.

The rooms were clean and relatively spacious, with very comfortable beds. The one downer is that we had a room directly across from the Casino and we could could clearly hear the live entertainment when trying to sleep. Either request a room on the opposite side of the casino, or take ear plugs.

Great pool, great gym, and The Sebel is very centrally located. We walked to all Cairns had to offer. Would happily stay again. However, ensure the room is on the western side of the premise.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My husband & I stayed there for 3 nights, Sat til Tues. The rooms are quite nice as was the bathroom and I loved having a balcony. The bed was large and comfortable but the pillows weren't good! We would've had a good sleep if it wasn't for the casino being right across the road. It must close about 1am because that's the time every morning we got woken up by people yelling, fighting or just being very merry when they left there.
We didn't have breakfast there but we had a dinner, A Seafood Buffet. The ambience of the restaurant was lovely but the food I wasn’t impressed in. The food was nicely presented but I found the seafood to be tasteless. For $60 pp there are much nicer restaurants to go to in Cairns!
The gym was clean and well equipped. The pool and pool area was spacious and nicely set out.
The Sebel Cairns is really a beautiful grand old hotel and i would love to see it updated a bit. I loved the lobby and staircases.
We found all the staff there to be friendly, helpful and professional!
I would stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012

In my years of staying here, mainly for business, I only stay if the price is right. The swimming pool is the best in Cairns, room service reliability is average, mainly due to phones being diverted through to reception, where they consistently mess up simple orders. Rooms are large, but don't expect a contemporary decor. Other than that rooms are clean, service is friendly, foyer is large & spacious. Valet car reliability is awful, and expect to wait 30 minutes or more, if they remember at all.

Room Tip: Higher floors always!
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The Sebel Cairns is a beautiful grand old hotel. The lobby is light and airy, the staff are pleasant and helpful. The lifts were modern and efficient. Our room was pleasant enough, reasonably spacious and with a nicely appointed marble bathroom with a bath and separate shower. The bed was large and comfortable. It was nice to have our own balcony with views out over the bay. The location is excellent, within easy walking distance of the waterfront and the shops and restaurants.
I was disappointed by two things. The first was that some of the furnishings in our room were a bit old and tired. The net curtain had been mended in several places, the framed prints all had that bluish tinge that prints get after a while, and there was a stain on the carpet.
The second disappointment was the tea and coffee service at breakfast. Actually there was no tea and coffee service, you had to make your own. The cups were very small, and the cappucino machine overflowed the cup every time. The food was great though.
I would return to the Sebel Cairns again, I just hope they upgrade their rooms and their tea and coffee service soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms have balconies, but the higher floors have better views.
Reviewed 14 August 2012 via mobile

Hotel is in ok locations, has impressive lobby & lovely pool (although in shade so freezing cold this time of year). Rooms are a little dated & tired looking, definitely not 5 star. I found bedding uncomfortable. There is no in room heating, air con only cools so it was rather unpleasant as it was very cold & we sat with our jackets on. But worst about this hotel is the attitude of the front desk staff, they were so unfriendly & rediculous that we checked out early just to get away from this unfriendly place. A real shame & not what I would have expected from a Sebel hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Hamburggirl1
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I travelled to the Sebel Cairns for a business trip. It is a safe bet - a pleasant place to stay with the basics in place. Some good things about the hotel are:
* The foyer and entry sets a great impression.
* It is nice you can open the door and get out onto a balcony.
* The hotel is pretty quiet.
* The breakfast spread, whilst reasonably basic, is pretty good value for money compared to most hotels.
* The location is pretty convenient for the convention centre and the restaurants (lets face it - most things in Cairns are not a long way away).
* All of the staff I interacted with were efficient and very helpful.

Some things that could be improved:
* The rooms are a little tired, with the furniture needing replacement.
* I really don't like hotels that make you get into a bath to have a shower.
* The desk was pretty pokey - fine if you are travelling for pleasure, not so great for a business trip.

In summary, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here, but there is nothing particularly special to make it a memorable stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business