“Marina views”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 18 August 2013

People who moan about paying "too much" for breakfast etc lose sight of the fact that they are staying in a luxury hotel. Of course the prices are high!
We thoroughly enjoyed our four-night stay. Front desk staff were sometimes a bit scarce, but were always friendly and professional.
We breakfasted on our balcony overlooking Abbott St and the marina, and we made the 5min walk to the waterfront for dinner each night. It has plenty of options, and dining outdoors and watching the boats is very relaxing.
We would stay here again, notwithstanding their usual bad Australian habit of charging the earth for access to wifi in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view
1  Thank Swaggie
There are newer reviews for Pullman Cairns International

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Having not stayed in a Pullman hotel before, I was hopeful that it would deliver the goods. I picked up a good deal for 5 nights and gave it a shot. Going past in the taxi, my wife exclaimed 'look at that nice hotel' and she was happy to find out that was the one we were staying in. The foyer area reminds me of a great hotel in Penang that we've loved staying in, and the service was very prompt and friendly. The room was quiet and large, with a nice bathroom and good amenities. The only issue we had (apart from that it's always nicer to have a king bed than a queen, but as I said it was a good deal) was that the climate control in the room was not great. It tended to get a bit cold as there was not a lot of variance in the temperature settings (slightly less cold was the warmest it went, unless you turn it off and then the room gets too hot) and the air blows directly over the bed. Apart from that, the breakfast was excellent with lots of options, and the pool was a great place to relax. The gym and sauna facilities were also above average, and the high tea we had one afternoon was a lovely way to spend a few hours in the lounge area. An additional point, the tour desk operators were very helpful, and I'd recommend talking to them to book anything you'd like to do in Cairns. I'd recommend staying in this hotel as it's in a fantastic location for everything from restaurants to tours, and it really makes for a lovely holiday.

1  Thank Douglas S
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My partner and i stayed here in May of this year for 5 nights. We got an amazing deal through the hotel website and were really happy with the cost.
Hotel loby is stunning and the rooms are also great.
We were upgraded to an ocean view room that overlooked the casino.
Nice and central and the tour desk lady is lovely and always wants to help.
As we had 4 days of rain we spent a lot of time indoors and the spa is wonderful.
Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank geoffo78
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed 5 nights at the Pullman whilst visiting Cairns on a conference. When a bus load of us arrived to check in there was only one staff member on duty at the desk - it was only 8.30pm at night. It took a very long time to get to our rooms.
My room was not serviced properly each day. There was usually a dirty coffee cup let by the bed and glasses and spoons were not cleaned and returned. Several times all my towels were removed from the room and not replenished. It wasnt until I came out of the shower that I noticed that my towels were not where they were supposed to be! Very annoying to say the least!
On check out I was advised that there was a "very small charge" to use credit card payment. It turned out to be $13 extra charge which is not "very small" in my opinion - that is a lunch or movie ticket! I understand small businesses needing to charge a surcharge for credit cards but I do not believe a large chain such as Pullman needs to charge this - especially since the room prices are high as are the excessive charges for mini bar etc.
Im sure there are better places for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KJU
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Having never stayed at this property before I can't compare, but I'm sure in it's heyday it was superb. For the price we paid we did expect everything to be top notch. The room was of excellent size, but smelt musty (something that all NQ properties deal with) and definitely could do with a modernisation. The buffet breakfast whilst having a good variety was not worth the price. We stayed 2 nights and each day we went down at around the same time, possibly this was our error as the food quality was dry, chewy or inedible. We didn't dine here other than breakfast as the buffet one night was seafood only and my fiancé doesn't eat it, don't think there was another option for the other night if I recall.

Staff were more than friendly and helpful, but didn't seem to go out of there way. I guess we expected a different level of service given what we were paying to stay there.

All in all, it's a nice place to stay if you are conferencing or in Cairns for business, wouldn't recommend for the leisure market though.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mel M
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The hotel was very grand in its day and could use a little renovation. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable and you could just about see the harbour. The breakfast was plentiful and had lots of variety however would have been expensive if not included in the room price. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The car parking was a little pricey at $20 per night but there are meters close by and and large car park. I agree with Kathy I would have liked to use the sauna but felt a little shy of walking through the gym and it was cold when I got there! Also the room wasn't spotlessly clean there was a good layer of dust on the skirting boards, and the mirror and the patio furniture was old. Having said all that I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure breakfast is included and get a high room as you can hear the noise from the casino across...
1  Thank Carolanne2013