“Best place in Cairns to Stay”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Thursday Island, Australia
“Best place in Cairns to Stay”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was welcomed by the lovely staff They even remember you from previous visits The rooms are clean and safe The breakfast is lovely with a lot of variety I stayed for 8 night and would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Tess S
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hi Tess S,

Thanks for the great review - when guests stay for longer periods I think you always see the hotel in its true light - are things consistent, are the staff really happy? I'm thrilled that our team here lived up to your expectations. I would also guess you did a fair bit of shopping having come off TI!
Thank you Tess for taking the time to review us
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in January 14, and enjoyed it very much. The room was of good size. The service was courteous and professional including the tour desk staff. I tried the seafood buffet dinner in the evening and it was great. The location was very convenient to marina where I went on a boat trip to the reef.

An all round winner I would gladly come back to again and again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Engam,
You should come back again and again! Thanks for posting such a positive review as I see you have done a fair bit of travelling and reviewing and I would imagine you have experienced many different hotels - I'm glad we stacked up.
Thanks agian for taking the time.
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 10.30 after a 3 hour train delay to a very warm greeting from the Pullman staff unfortunately we had missed our dinner reservation and the bar had closed Only hotel option, drinks at $8 beer $16 wine in the minny bar and instant coffee in our room? Pullman please ditch the instant coffee and supply pods or plungers and a bigger choice in the minny bar; no chocolate?

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank exmouthtours
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Hi exmouthtours,

Absolutely fair call and I'm working on the coffee machines currently. You raise a good point and I know how you feel after travelling and delays. I know it is after the fact but what I sometimes do is just ring down for a coffee and get one sent up as I never think the coffee machines do the milk quite right - anyway I understand also you maybe didn't want to go through the hassle. Thank you for taking the time to post a review you feedback is highly appreciated.
Hockessin, Delaware
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I just stayed at the Pullman Cairns International, January 29-Feb 1, 2014 (3 nights). There were 3 of us and we got a double bed with harbour view room. It is one of the top hotels in Cairns. The lobby is very nice, check in was a breeze. Reception & especially the bell service were very helpful. Location is central in this little tropical town of Cairns, it is an easy walk to all the shops, restaurants, esplanade, market, and banks. Across the street is the Reef Casino. Size of the room is spacious. The bed is too soft for my comfort and I wished there were 2 queens instead of 2 double size beds in the room. The bathroom is large but has only 1 sink. There's a small safe. Not many drawers to store your clothes though. There's a small refrigerator. Breakfast buffet was $32 per person and dinner buffet was $70 per person. Everything in Australia is very expensive, about 2-3 times U.S. prices but after more than a week here now, I've become desensitized to their outrageous prices. I heard that haggling is common here but I have not tried it. Taxi from/to the airport & hotel is $22-$30 one way, only 15 minutes away. I'm glad we did not get the roundtrip transfer by shuttle bus (not private) from the airport when we arrived but instead opted for a taxi which was easy enough to pick up at the airport. The hotel called a taxi for us when we departed. The hotel provides free internet at the lobby for 2 hours and if it is not enough, you can ask for more hours. We asked for a late checkout but the latest they could give us was 12 noon and beyond that, an extra $20 per hour will be charged. Overall, it was a pleasant and comfortable stay for all of us. I posted pictures which might be helpful to you.

Room Tip: Pick a harbour view room if the price difference is not much.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Celestial G
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Hi TellyGabriel,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review we really appreciate your feedback. I understand your comments regarding prices however the Aussie dollar has come down against the Greenback considerably so that has eased the conversion. We are working with our beds currently - it is such an individual thing, I was dealing with a guest the other day whose bed was too hard however we are in the process of changing doubles to queens. Thanks again for your feedback.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The Pullman Cairns International is an ok place to stay for an overnight stay before or after a live aboard dive trip. It was totally fine for the price we paid. It's a nice hotel, but the rooms are in need of updating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Hi Kris M,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I hope you had a great time on the live abroad. I note your comments about the rooms and we are working hard on that currently.
Thanks Again
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed as part of a function downstairs. They offered us a package deal that was great value and upgraded us to a room with a better view upon arrival which was greatly appreciated, this was not expected as a local during dry season. Service was spectacular, as was the buffet breakfast downstairs. My partner and I will definitely be returning this year. P.s as a place to hold a function, Ive found that the International is second to none within Cairns after a number of visits now.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Micheal R,

Great to hear nice things form the locals! Thanks for the kind words I will pass them onto the team. We're glad you enjoyed the buffet and we look forward to welcoming you and your partner back here soon.