“Great Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Geelong Suburb
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Spent 4 nights here attending a conference. Very good location. Staff very friendly Rooms are large as are the bathrooms. Room was very clean, only downside was the bed was a bit uncomfortable and only a double size. Would be happy to stay here again

Room Tip: try and get a room that doesn't overlook the casino as it can get a bit noisy at night
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Spotcate,
Thanks for the nice review - we really appreciate your feedback and that you recognised the staff. As I have said a numbe rof times in my replies I'm rvery lucky to have such a dedicated crew here.
Thanks Again
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 8 May 2014

If possible the service level has improved since my last visit
Lovely rooms, great food, top service, great hotel. The rooms are quiet and very comfortable
it is nice as a regular visitor to have a hotel of this quality to stay

Hi PPTuck,
Thanks for the great review - really it is all about service at the end of the day and I'm really happy we have got it right with you but also I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to tell us that - feedback is really important to us so many thanks again.
Brisbane Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

+ Staff good.
- Hotel is very "tired" and in need of a major renovation. Entry portico has chipped tiles and then it goes on from there. Rooms have peeling paint on ceilings, bed was dreadful (soft and saggy), pillows were a mixture of brands and old and worn out. Chairs were stained. Carpets little better. Sorry but not up to the standard I expect of Pullman that I have experienced around the world. For the price I cannot recommend.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Magere1_2
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hi Magere1_2,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review - all feedback (good or bad) is valuable and I thank you for letting us know where we fell short in your estimation. I was happy that you rated the staff as good - they are a dedicated crew. I will look at the other issues you have raised so thanks again for letting us know.
newcastle nsw
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here in April and found it to be very good but parking was a bit of a problem as we had a car that would not fit into the car park so had to park down the road a bit. When we turned the bed down there was several long dark hairs in the bed and also some on the bathroom floor. But the staff are friendly and helpful and the position excellent.

Hi swimmer1NewcastleNsw,

Thanks for writing a review - I do apologise regarding the hairs - that shouldn't happen. Also the car situaiton is frustrating for all as we can't make the carpark any larger - when thew hotel was built in the 1980's big cars were very popular and yet they still made the carpark a touch too small especially for 4wd. I'm glad you found the staff friendly - they are a great group we have here currently.
Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel on 2 occasions in April 2014. The entrance, lobby, and restaurants/bar area where you enter is quite impressive and has been renovated perfectly. All staff we came across were most helpful and it generally felt like we were staying in a 4 star hotel except for the rooms. They are in desperate need of a paint, carpet, and general refurbishment. Once this is done this will be a fantastic hotel.
I will say though that as old and dated as the rooms were, they were spacious, comfortable and clean.
On-site parking was $20 per day and wi-fi was not free which is almost unheard of in todays world. The pools and gym facilities were good, but there were often no towels to use.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Hi Train 000,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review - we appreciate your feedback. We do have some work to do here and we busy planning that; I'm glad the staff were accommodating for you.
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Excellent location. Great customer service with friendly and prompt staff. Easy check-in and check-out. Assistant Manager (Jun) called us by name every time! Convenience with comfort are a distinct mark of this hotel. Very good value for money. Good buffet breakfast. Strongly recommend when travelling to Cairns.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14th floor with an awesome view to both mountains and marina.
Hi David B,
Thanks for the nice review and I'm glad everything was in order for your stay. It always good for me when one of my staff members shines out and I thank you for mentioning them. We hope we might see you up here again. Thanks again
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Yet again a so called "5 star" hotel fails to live up to this high rating. Maybe there should be a new rating system because 1 and 2 star hotels and motels seem to have disappeared in general and hotels like this give other excellent 5 star hotels a bad name. Furthermore, this hotel gives the good name of Pullman a bad reputation.

It is so bizarre to have two Pullman hotels right next to one another in Cairns and I have stayed in both repeatedly now. The Pullman Reef Casino is head and shoulders above this "International" one and I reckon should be considered 5 and half stars. This one that I just stayed in last night is lucky to be considered 4 star.

There are a litany of problems in this formerly great hotel. You can tell that in its past it had grand aspirations to be the best hotel in Cairns. Alas those days are way behind now and it is the most dated, and run down 5 star hotel I have stayed in. The rooms smell stuffy and old and when you look at the furnishings it becomes apparent why. They are at least 20 years old. But even though I am 'fussy and honest' I can handle 20 year old bedside table, desks, dining tables and bathrooms, if the fundamentals in a hotel are right.

Unfortunately for the Pullman group and future guests, this hotel fails to get the basics right. Specifically:

1. The most basic requirement in any hotel, I reckon, is a good nights sleep. Unfortunately the bed I was on was very unsupportive and clearly well used. The 2 pillows provided were also substandard. This is a big black mark. Furthermore the air conditioning is obviously very old and very noisy and I could see now way of lowering the fan speed. To compound the problem the vent is right above the bed in the room I stayed in on 7th floor.

2. The tv is an ancient 26" tv. Yes it is LCD but most 4 star hotels I stay have a new 40" LED tv, so for this "5 star" hotel to have a crappy size and quality tv is poor form. A new 40" LED tv now only costs about $500, so I really dislike this type of cheapness from hotels.

3. Again to compound the problem, and I have complained about this in previous reviews, there was no Skynews. This is unforgivable in an international hotel. I cant be the only guest who does not want to switch off my brain and watch Fox bloody sports!!!! So on a major news day had endure ABC News 24 for my news coverage and free to air for my entertainment. Very poor and all hotels need to fix this ASAP. It is unacceptable in 2014 for 5 star hotels to be so cheap and not pay Foxtel for at least 10 pay tv channels. And no I don't work for Foxtel, I just want a quality choice, not crap FTA with ads!

4. I ordered both dinner and breakfast in room dining and they were both mildly disappointing. The fries served with the Angus burger I ordered were the horrible type you get a McDonalds and the glass of wine was like cardboard.

5. The $36 breakfast (!!!) was a ripoff and poor value for money. They obviously use inferior coffee for their brewed coffee and the quality of the fruit, yoghurt and toast again was substandard. I could have bought a much better breakfast in Cairns CBD for about $25, but had breakfast in room, because I had an early start. Oh and the juices are not freshly squeezed. They are from the carton and taste like it.

6. The service at the hotel was what would describe as 'adequate'. Certainly well below their sister hotel across the road in the impeccable " Pullman Reef Casino Hotel". Oh and finally $20 for valet parking for one night is outrageous. Pay rates for valets in Cairns are not that expensive with an unemployment rate of 10%, so they need to be more realistic, because my basic dinner, breakfast and valet parking cost me $102 for one nights stay.

BTW, this is my 2nd stay here. My first was 3 years ago and I was so disappointed by that similarly unimpressive stay, that I vowed never to stay here again. However I thought in the interests of fairness, I should give it anther go, but again it confirms it is definitely a 4 star hotel, masquerading as a 5 star "International" hotel. Buyer beware.

Room Tip: Go across the road at stay at the "Pullman Reef Casino Hotel". True 5 star luxury, with ex...
Hi Fussyandhonest,

I want to thank you for posting your review - I didn't enjoy reading it however all feedback is valuable and I will consider what you wrote at some length. Thanks for taking the time to post a review.