“Great location and buffet breakfast”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We recently stayed here during a trip to Cairns. The hotel is in a great location for restaurants and access to the reef. The hotel foyer is impressive and our room was a reasonable size. The buffet breakfast was pretty good, with lots of fresh fruit as well as the usual selections. The service was pretty good although we did have an unfortunate experience during our first night when one of the hotel staff knocked on our door repeatedly at 1:30am and asked to be let in to check to see if we had thrown a chair off of our balcony. She then ran through our room and went out to the balcony to ensure our chairs were still there then ran out the room. No explanation or apology the following morning... Overall, a pretty enjoyable stay and worth considering if visiting Cairns.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi sismith 17,
Firstly let me apologise regarding the incident with chair -that was a fairly crazy night for us as someone was throwing chairs out of the windows and we were very concerned about people being injured - sorry we could have handled it better for you. Thanks for the rest of the review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

There are newer reviews for Pullman Cairns International

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Pullman Cairns International Hotel. We stayed in room 1419, balcony, nice view, friendly staff and clean hotel. We found the housekeeping staff to be very professional and pleasant. Small gym, pool and 2 sauna's (loved the sauna's). This hotel certainly has the facilities for conferences/balls etc. Good air conditioning (bit noisy, but that doesn't really bother me) Negatives....stained carpets, tired and dated furnishings, the most uncomfortable beds (married couple given twin double beds). As we were staying there as part of a very large group of people we didn't want to complain as we thought they would probably be booked out....I am not fussy with beds, however these were tiny and very uncomfortable!! We heard at least 4 other couples talking about their beds. Very limited options for food/room service after 10pm (wedges or toasted sandwiches). Food ..... well..it was ok, definitely room for improvement..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hi Brisbane No1,
Thanks for your review and mentioning the staff and I note your comments regarding the beds - this situation is under review; I know that doesn't change your experience but your generous donation of feedback certainly helps our cause -thanks again.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have just returned to London from a 5 day conference trip held at the hotel and found that the hotel was good. (I suspect I was part of the conference that irked a previous reviewer, but (a) went to bed and (b) sympathise as I would not have wanted to be there at the same time as a major conference) It was not in the Ritx Carlton or Four Seasons League but I was not expecting it to be - if it does advertise as 5* then I would be disappointed as it is 3.5 - 4 as a matter of impression. The view from my room across to the sea was wonderful (the fruit bats at dusk are a remarkable sight) and the hotel is very well positioned for the wharf and seafront generally. The bar and restaurant were average but the pool was good and the staff efficient and friendly. My room was of a high standard (clearly not an experience shared by others) and I would be happy to go back. The air-conditioning was efficient and no more obtrusive than anywhere else in my experience (I always turn it off at night wherever I am and it was good to have the controls by the bedside - more often than not the controls are impossible to find!). The TV channels were limited and the output dreadful - but that is not the hotel's fault - you realise how good the BBC when getting back home. I would treat the hotel more as a transit point either for trips to the Reef - Green Island is only 50 minutes and amazing, despite the numbers heading off on the Cats - or when heading further north to the rainforest. But whatever the destination, provided you do not have too high expectations of the Pullman it is more than adequate. Incidentally, if travelling business class to Australia I would choose Emirates again - the seat layout and comfort is 2nd to none.

Room Tip: High up (12 - 15th floors) overlooking the sea
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hi Wander2London,
Thanks for a balanced review and I do agree with you regarding the harshness of some recent reviews however everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thanks for mentioning the staff -they really do work hard here to overcome some obstacles.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked the hotel for the last 4 nights of our Australia holiday. We booked an "upgraded" room with water view room facing the harbour - well what a disappointment. When you got out of the lift the carpets were frayed and stained. The room was old and tired and the balcony cramped. The curtains fell off their runners every time you tried to open them and the air con was really loud.

There were far too many bad points for a supposed 5* hotel. The hotel desperately needs to be refurbished and all the rooms upgraded. The furniture is old and dated, carpets are frayed and stained and I agree with previous comments that the beds are uncomfortable.

Whilst we were there a massive conference was taking place. The public areas were unbearably noisy - especially breakfast, we wanted to go to the pool but the staff were setting up a pool party for the conference and we were made to feel totally unwelcome by staff who told us we had to leave by 5pm and deliberately played loud music to get rid of us earlier.

This hotel was supposed to be the icing on our holiday trip but it failed to tick any boxes.

We paid a lot of money for this hotel and felt totally cheated. We would not stay here again and would not recommend it to any of our friends or family. This was our first stay at a Pullman hotel and based on this experience most certainly our last.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lobsterchaser

Hi Nicole H,

Thanks for your review - and taking the time to do so. We are working on refurbishment plans currently and I understand for a section of the user group this is an important point - I can't get ahead of myself however but to relate that the recent spate of feedback is not lost on me and the people I report to. I will keep at it!

An Accor traveller

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Nicole H

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I feel conflicted about what I'm about to write because the staff were absolutely exceptional, the restaurant seafood buffet was amazing, the foyer is beautiful and the outside pool area is absolutely top notch HOWEVER the Pullman Cairns Internaitonal advertises itself as a five star venue and it's just point blank not.

As stated, the foyer is beautiful as is the outside area but the rooms are old, tired and desperately in need to renovation. The balcony was a nice touch but it's difficult to relax and enjoy yourself when you're staying at a hotel that claims to be five stars but only has three star (probably only two tbh) rooms.

Having said that, the staff at the Pullman Cairns International are absolutely exceptional and go way above and beyond the call of duty and it's not their fault that the hotel's rooms are badly in need of refurbishment and renovation. If and when this hotel gets renovated then I'd stay there again but, as it stands, for the price and the quality of the rooms I wouldn't currently stay there again nor would I recommend it to others.

Hi Neko S,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. Thank you for your exceptional comments regarding the staff - we all really appreciate the fact that you recognised that part of your stay and that is the part that I have immediate control over so thanks again. I note your comments regarding the room standard and will ensure it gets passed on as well.