“Good stay but noisy...”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the Pullman Cairns for 4 nights for the Cairns Ironman. It was a great location and close to everything. I thought that $20 per day parking was a bit stiff, but the receptionist did advise us that parking on the street is available and free on Sundays. The room was spacious and clean. Bed was comfortable, bathroom spacious and mini bar ok. My main issue with this hotel is the noise at night. The casino across the road had a band playing late into the night and I could hear everything! Every word and beat from each song. Really recommend getting a room that faces the pool and NOT the casino. Room service was slow, the breakfast buffet was good and dinner in the restaurant downstairs is expensive. I also tried a scrub and massage at the day spa. The rooms were boring and the 'relaxation' music annoying. My treatment however was professional and relaxing with a nice tea and sorbet to finish. Overall I would come back and stay here, but not near the casino.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the pool and NOT the casino if you want a good nights sleep.
1  Thank Claire G
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Hi Claire,
I'm sorry about that noisy mob over at the Casino. I also noted your comments regarding the spa room and music and will talk to the team about that. I suppose we are looking for an uncluttered, minimalist feel in there to help relaxation and cut down on distraction. We hope to see you back here one day.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Really good location and great friendly staff. The morning buffet is very good as well as the Coco dinner buffet.

I would recommend this hotel to people for anyone who goes on a holiday or business.

Located in a very central location

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Hi Dimuthu,

Thanks for posting a nice review (again!) and we're glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here in a Harbour view room for three nights as part of a work conference. Room was clean and comfortable with great views. Breakfast was par for the course but I had no complaints. Would certainly recommend for anyone staying in cairns for business - particularly if you need to get to the convention centre, which is an easy 5 minute walk around the corner.
Didn't used the pool but it looked very nice if a little windy as it's above street level.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hi Pie_boy68,
Thanks for the recommendation and taking the time to post a review -we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We arrived late at night and woke the next morning to a fabulous view over the bay with the mist rising out of the rainforest. The room was spacious; pool just fabulous; breakfast yummy; proximity to shops easy; gorgeous old world lobby and attentive staff.

Room Tip: The day trip to Kuranda was a really good option - lots to see and hassle free market shopping. Nigh...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hi Rosemary,
It was great to read you review -thanks for taking the time to post it. It is so good to hear from someone would had such a good time and all the elements of a good stay blended together. Having lived in the South Island for some years (Queenstown) I'm sure you enjoyed the temparature up here. Great to see Christchurch rebuilding and getting back amongst it - those Crusaders are looking very dangerous again (as usual) -it was always hard being a passionate Aussie rugby supporter ion the deep south of NZ.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights for a conference. The check in was very slow however the staff were attentive. After staying at Port Douglas with my wife we then stayed again at the Pullman. It should be said that the only reason I stayed on another night is that my employer booked the first 3 nights and we had pre paid on lastminute.com for the other night. This hotel is not cheap but if all the issues are dealt with the price would be fair as the location is convenient.
The foyer is impressive and the room furnishings good however the negatives are numerous.
The beds, oh the beds! Double beds x 2 in both rooms I was in including the 'upgraded' room on the top floor which we were given when the staff were told about my disappointment with the bed in my first stay.
If you are a Japanese person who sleeps on a tatami mat at home you will find the bed very comfortable. However if you are used to a softer bed you will feel like you are on a tatami mat.
If you are taller than 5' 8" you will not fit comfortably as the beds are short.
The lift shaft or the big air con compressor on the roof was extremely loud all night.
The air con in the room is noisy but very effective.
The water in the shower/bath is not very hot.
When the hotel is busy the 3 lifts can cause quite a long wait.
Fortunately we had a car on the weekend when street parking is free as the hotel parking is $20! This is Cairns not a capital city so although a fee is reasonable, $20 is not.
I paid an additional $32 on my first night for the buffet breakfast which was very expensive.
My next few days I enjoyed breakfast at a cafe up the street.
We will not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a queen bed if a couple want to fit in the bed.

Hi Ben 1749,
Sorry that you had these issues whilst staying here. We are working on the bed situation and note your comments. I'm sorry we did not reach your expectations but thanks for taking the time to give us feedback - we do value all (good and bad) comments; you have assisted us by highlighting these concerns

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My previous experience of Cairns had been 12 years ago and because I had found it unappealing I only booked 1 night at the Pullman International as a quick stay over. Big mistake. Cairns has improved as a destination - it is easy to walk around, has a pleasant waterfront, good art gallery, plenty of cafes and eateries - we could easily have spent a few days of leisurely strolling.

The Pullman is located close to the waterfront and harnour area, as are quite a few of the other big brand hotels. It isnt very appealing to look at from outside as it is hard to do much with a 1980's facade but inside it has had a spruce up and is pleasant and airy.
Had a great devonshire tea in the foyer bar, best scones for ages.
We had a waterfacing room on the premium floor and it was spacious, comfortable bed and nice balcony with good view. Sitting on the balcony watching the sunset and a huge colony of fruit bats making their way across to the mangroves on the other side of the harbour was a special experience. Perfect!
Well almost - about 10 pm just when we were settling into bed the noise from the casino across the road ( also a Pullman brand) really ramped up. Loud music, screaming patrons coming and going, cars revving... Welcome to Saturday night in Cairns! Not to worry, we thought, it will surely quieten down at midnight. Wrong. It went on until 3 pm and we got up at 4 pm to catch the early morning flight out.
Will we return - yes definitely worth spending more time in Cairns and would chose the Pullman again but not on a Saturday night!

Room Tip: Ask for front facing high floor if you want views.

Hi Ozbabetasmania,
Please don't wait 12 years to come again -Cairns is a great destination with a lot to offer. It's great you enjoyed the High Tea and some of our other natural attractions. Sorry about the noisy lot in the Casino. Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

The impressive hotel entrance is very welcoming. I had a great view on one of the higher floors looking out over the bay. Rooms are generous and well appointed. I enjoyed dinner in house and enjoyed fish, salad and fresh vegetables. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. If you want to do the shops, they are close at hand, Casino right across the street.
Should I return to Cairns I would be sure to stay here again.

Room Tip: The water view rooms at the front gives you a great sunrise, but the mountain views are fine too.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hi Marlene S,
We'd love to have you back! Thanks for the great review - we really appreciate your feedback.