“The Good ..The Bad ..and the Bed !”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Queensland, Australia
“The Good ..The Bad ..and the Bed !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Got a fantastic rate including breakfast so we came back to this hotel for a stay after not being here for a few years..
Always loved the lobby / reception area of this place it's large stylish and welcoming , our check in was fast smooth and reception staff pleasant , we were given an upgrade to a Premium Ocean view from an ocean view room ,which meant one of the highest floors. Our room was lovely spacious , great balcony awesome views. The bathroom is beautiful marble with a big bath and quality bathroom products and a good selection including a toothbrush and comb . Flat screen tv was a decent size, the room was clean well set out and smelled fresh , Breakfast the next morning was everything you could ask for in a buffet breakfast , huge selection of hot cooked foods , fresh fruits , waffles , pastries even a chef in the middle of the buffet area with his own cooking station ready to cook your eggs how you liked them. ( I had read some reviews of this hotel where customers complained about the limited quantity or not having their eggs cooked how they liked ..this buffet is a perfect example that you must try places for yourself to judge things accurately ) the breakfast staff except one were courteous and smiling and ready to help. Our checkout was also smooth and fast. The main option for parking your car is valet parking it's $20.00 for a one night stay and they had our car ready within a few minutes of requesting it.
This place was an old favourite of ours but started to slide a little and we discovered the five star across the road , this hotel is now under the same Pullman brand as it's sister across the road and you can see that management and staff here are trying hard to bring it too a five star standard, this hotel does have some advantages over its sister , the breakfast area is much larger meaning they are able to utilise the space for a greater variety of breakfast dishes , my husband and I preferred this breakfast by far to the Pullman across the road . ...
The Bad & The Bed .. Ok Management I am sure if you could have you would have replaced those shockers of beds by now but somehow you need to squeeze money from the bean holders to replace the beds they bring down down the all the good work going on everywhere else , the minute you sit on them and feel the sag and movement it changes the luxury feel of the room and your transported back to a three star room from somewhere most of us have stayed in the past and would rather forget , the pillows are a lessor expense for you but are also in urgent need of upgrading to reflect the comfort and quality you are trying to achieve, I actually woke myself up in the night by a small scream as my back went out due to no support In the mattress ( sorry to any neighbours I also woke up! )
There was also one staff member from breakfast who may have just been having a bad day but was not as pleasant or courteous as the other members ( think her name was Susanne or susannah ).
Would I stay again... Absolutely would love to come back and give this place a five star rating please just replace the bed ..
...and on a funny note we walked into our hotel room and there was a beautiful plate of chocolate & strawberries and mini cookies etc with a Welcome back card which we thought was a very nice touch as we hadn't been there for a few years only thing is when I started reading the card I realise it's not actually our name on it ....So if there's a Mr & Mrs Chessor reading this ...Sorry, but we ate your dessert :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hi Townsvillemaz,
Thanks for taking the time to write a thorough and balanced review. Fair call about the beds and I can promise you I'm working on that (by squeesing a bean counter hard!) as I write this. I appreciate the other comments you made and I will review a couple of the points with the team. We do appreciate your feedback and the fact you were kind enought to spend some time writing to let us know. I hope we can see you back here again.
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cairns
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am a local living in Cairns and go from time to time to Restaurants in Cairns, and in the past, I have been quite satisfied with the quality of food at the Pullman Cairns International, especially when it was just "The International". I went 2 weeks ago and was severely shocked.

Please note - I am not speaking about the accommodation part of the Hotel, just their big restaurant part. For a buffet of $75 you would expect something decent but it was not. It was supposed to be a seafood night (Sunday evening) but the only seafood was smallish oysters, not the best prawns, and cracked crab. In the past I have had a lovely salmon dish but there was none. There seemed to be only a minimum of food, if fact, the smallest choice I have ever seen there. The dish labelled "Rib fillet" was so tough it was almost inedible. I think it was tough sirloin. It certainly was not rib fillet.

When asked by the waiters how I was doing I mentioned the so called rib fillet and the fish and they apologised and said they would refer it to the chef. Yeah!! One report actually did come back, relayed by the waiter that the meat may have been sitting over the water too long. The fish was chunks of something, tasteless, overcooked. I would not even go back to get it again and glad I had only taken a small portion the first time. The duck dish was fantastic but one good dish for the whole night . . . I felt simply robbed. There was a poor selection for $75.

The dessert section was lamentable. It was the poorest I had seen in that place and was awful food. There is no way I am going back there again and that means the Christmas dinners we usually go to as well, and sometimes take family. If you are considering, go somewhere else.

Two more things to say. Firstly the staff and the waiters were just wonderful and pleasant, though plates were often left on the table and were still there when I returned from trying to find something appealing on the buffet. The second thing is that a couple of other places in Cairns I have been to before with good food reputations, I have likewise found them to have slipped in quality also. What is happening to food cuisine in Cairns?

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Ronald F
Hi Ronald F,
It is always bad to upset the locals and I apologise that we have done this in your case. I would say that the restaurant has had some fantastic reviews and that we also offer an al a carte selection for those not wanting the full buffet spread. I will discuss all these matters with my Exec Chef as we both are very conscious of our very loyal local trade.
Thanks for taking the time to let us know.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was the relative luxury inbetween camping in Kakadu and motor-homing down to Brisbane, and it did not disappoint. Hotels like this are supposed to deliver great rooms, facilities, service, cleanliness and location, it's amazing how few do, but hats off to Pullman team for doing so. The bowl of fruit on our floor was a nice touch, appreciated our ravenous teenagers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David T
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hi David T,
What a great customer sentiment - I wish all our guests had this point of view! Thanks for the comments they are greatly appreciated.