“Unexciting and disappointing”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were two couples booking into the hotel. The first frustration was at the checkin. Two rooms with king beds were booked, we got one with a king bed one with twin. It was not what we booked. We were told this was because we had booked through a service on the internet implying that we had got it cheaply so what was the issue. A totally unacceptable response. I had to have an argument, and call the manager before we finally got the two rooms we booked, although now they did not have sea views and were on separate floors. I was sick of arguing. The rooms were nothing special , but they did the basics reasonably. The shower was in the bath , which I hate. There was some fruit provided on each floor. Then came the further frustrations. The hotel advertises free internet, and I suppose that technically, giving up free wireless access in the lobby on two hourly tickets, with a messy username and password, does meet that, but in this day and age, free internet means just that. Free, in your room, for as many gadgets as you have. If you want it in your room you can have it but at a horrendous and laughably overpriced rate. Had a vodka at the bar and I did not watch, but there seemed to be hardly any vodka in it. The staff all over the hotel seemed amateur and on learners plates. In the end we just used it for sleeping , and ate and drank elsewhere including breakfast .

Room Tip: Hard to give a tip about a place I did not like.
1  Thank ronl1
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Hi Ronl 1,
I'm terribly sorry we did not meet your expectations; we obviously got off on the wrong foot and did not recover from there - I do apologise. I do thank you however for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention - all feedback, good or bad, is gold and we need to apy attention to what our customers are saying.

There are newer reviews for Pullman Cairns International

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at a number of establishments in Cairns. I rate this highest so far. I had a Work event at this hotel in January. I found the rooms to be clean and comfortable with great views. The staff were friendly and I was most impressed with entry and foyer. A great place to stay with easy access to the city and casino. I look forward to my next stay.

Stayed: January 2014

Hi Dajesta 9,

Thanks for the great review! It is always great to talk to happy customer and we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was. I look forward to welcoming you back here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Had an overnight stay in a Premium King Ocean View room on the 15th floor of the building. Loved the facade and lobby area of the hotel - very grand with comfortable seating all round!! The room itself was clean and spacious with a decent sized balcony and great views of the surrounding marina and ocean. The bathroom was a generous size and well appointed with a good selection of bathroom toiletries/products provided. The buffet breakfast was OK with a reasonable selection and variety of both hot and cold food; however, it could benefit from having a larger variety of foods and replenishing the food more frequently as some of the foods were either scarce or 'cold'. Have had better buffet breakfasts elsewhere. Having frequently visited the Pullman Sea Temple in Port Douglas, along with other 5 star hotels, I had high expectations of this hotel. I found the staff at the breakfast session lacked friendliness, we were not addressed by name when we arrived for breakfast and were basically shown and pointed to our table without a friendly greeting. Although the room was nice and comfortable, we both found that we did not have a comfortable sleep due to the mattress and pillows which were a bit on the hard side. I was longing for a mattress that your body would comfortable sink into and 'float'. Having stayed at other 5 star hotels in the majority of the capital cities, the biggest shock was having to pay $20.00 for valet parking!!!!!! Never, ever have I had to do this. Is this something that applies only in Cairns???? Given the rate paid for the room and breakfast, you would think that valet parking would be included. Would I stay there again???? Probably yes, purely on its location BUT would opt to have breakfast at a local cafe and definitely not have valet parking.

1  Thank Michelle P

Hi Michelle P,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review - we do value all feedback both good and bad as it really helps to find out what is going well and what isn't. Your point about breakfast friendliness is a great concern to me and I will investigate this and I also note the point regarding the beds.
Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our "harbour view" room on the ninth floor, had a view of nearby hotels and glimpses of the inlet. It was clean and larger than average. The bathroom had lots of space for toiletries and hanging space for towels etc, but a shower curtain in an upscale hotel is not a good look.
The hotel has a lovely foyer, reminiscent of a grand colonial hotel and a pleasant pool area.
No nasty surprises, but no nice ones either....until check out. The guy at reception was off hand almost to the point of rudeness and reception was not busy at the time. I also found the wait staff at breakfast to be less than friendly (unlike all the other Queenslanders we met during our travels).
Compared to the six other hotels in which we stayed, during this particular holiday, it was certainly a big disappointment.
We travel to Queensland every year and have previously stopped at the rival Pullman just across the street. I don't think we'll be returning to this one!

1  Thank adenoz

Hi Adenoz,
Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback and I'm sorry we did not reach all your expectations on this stay. I certainly apologise regarding those service issues and will talk to the team - being off hand is not acceptable and this is not what the hotel is about at all. Youy have been generous by letting us know of your experience and it will help us so thanks again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Got a fantastic rate including breakfast so we came back to this hotel for a stay after not being here for a few years..
Always loved the lobby / reception area of this place it's large stylish and welcoming , our check in was fast smooth and reception staff pleasant , we were given an upgrade to a Premium Ocean view from an ocean view room ,which meant one of the highest floors. Our room was lovely spacious , great balcony awesome views. The bathroom is beautiful marble with a big bath and quality bathroom products and a good selection including a toothbrush and comb . Flat screen tv was a decent size, the room was clean well set out and smelled fresh , Breakfast the next morning was everything you could ask for in a buffet breakfast , huge selection of hot cooked foods , fresh fruits , waffles , pastries even a chef in the middle of the buffet area with his own cooking station ready to cook your eggs how you liked them. ( I had read some reviews of this hotel where customers complained about the limited quantity or not having their eggs cooked how they liked ..this buffet is a perfect example that you must try places for yourself to judge things accurately ) the breakfast staff except one were courteous and smiling and ready to help. Our checkout was also smooth and fast. The main option for parking your car is valet parking it's $20.00 for a one night stay and they had our car ready within a few minutes of requesting it.
This place was an old favourite of ours but started to slide a little and we discovered the five star across the road , this hotel is now under the same Pullman brand as it's sister across the road and you can see that management and staff here are trying hard to bring it too a five star standard, this hotel does have some advantages over its sister , the breakfast area is much larger meaning they are able to utilise the space for a greater variety of breakfast dishes , my husband and I preferred this breakfast by far to the Pullman across the road . ...
The Bad & The Bed .. Ok Management I am sure if you could have you would have replaced those shockers of beds by now but somehow you need to squeeze money from the bean holders to replace the beds they bring down down the all the good work going on everywhere else , the minute you sit on them and feel the sag and movement it changes the luxury feel of the room and your transported back to a three star room from somewhere most of us have stayed in the past and would rather forget , the pillows are a lessor expense for you but are also in urgent need of upgrading to reflect the comfort and quality you are trying to achieve, I actually woke myself up in the night by a small scream as my back went out due to no support In the mattress ( sorry to any neighbours I also woke up! )
There was also one staff member from breakfast who may have just been having a bad day but was not as pleasant or courteous as the other members ( think her name was Susanne or susannah ).
Would I stay again... Absolutely would love to come back and give this place a five star rating please just replace the bed ..
...and on a funny note we walked into our hotel room and there was a beautiful plate of chocolate & strawberries and mini cookies etc with a Welcome back card which we thought was a very nice touch as we hadn't been there for a few years only thing is when I started reading the card I realise it's not actually our name on it ....So if there's a Mr & Mrs Chessor reading this ...Sorry, but we ate your dessert :)

Hi Townsvillemaz,
Thanks for taking the time to write a thorough and balanced review. Fair call about the beds and I can promise you I'm working on that (by squeesing a bean counter hard!) as I write this. I appreciate the other comments you made and I will review a couple of the points with the team. We do appreciate your feedback and the fact you were kind enought to spend some time writing to let us know. I hope we can see you back here again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am a local living in Cairns and go from time to time to Restaurants in Cairns, and in the past, I have been quite satisfied with the quality of food at the Pullman Cairns International, especially when it was just "The International". I went 2 weeks ago and was severely shocked.

Please note - I am not speaking about the accommodation part of the Hotel, just their big restaurant part. For a buffet of $75 you would expect something decent but it was not. It was supposed to be a seafood night (Sunday evening) but the only seafood was smallish oysters, not the best prawns, and cracked crab. In the past I have had a lovely salmon dish but there was none. There seemed to be only a minimum of food, if fact, the smallest choice I have ever seen there. The dish labelled "Rib fillet" was so tough it was almost inedible. I think it was tough sirloin. It certainly was not rib fillet.

When asked by the waiters how I was doing I mentioned the so called rib fillet and the fish and they apologised and said they would refer it to the chef. Yeah!! One report actually did come back, relayed by the waiter that the meat may have been sitting over the water too long. The fish was chunks of something, tasteless, overcooked. I would not even go back to get it again and glad I had only taken a small portion the first time. The duck dish was fantastic but one good dish for the whole night . . . I felt simply robbed. There was a poor selection for $75.

The dessert section was lamentable. It was the poorest I had seen in that place and was awful food. There is no way I am going back there again and that means the Christmas dinners we usually go to as well, and sometimes take family. If you are considering, go somewhere else.

Two more things to say. Firstly the staff and the waiters were just wonderful and pleasant, though plates were often left on the table and were still there when I returned from trying to find something appealing on the buffet. The second thing is that a couple of other places in Cairns I have been to before with good food reputations, I have likewise found them to have slipped in quality also. What is happening to food cuisine in Cairns?

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Ronald F

Hi Ronald F,
It is always bad to upset the locals and I apologise that we have done this in your case. I would say that the restaurant has had some fantastic reviews and that we also offer an al a carte selection for those not wanting the full buffet spread. I will discuss all these matters with my Exec Chef as we both are very conscious of our very loyal local trade.
Thanks for taking the time to let us know.