“Only one issue - noise”

Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney
“Only one issue - noise”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The hotel is nicely updated with very comfortable rooms, great beds, a lovely bathroom and a nice balcony. Service was good and a business lunch in the restaurant was very pleasant. Unfortunately, there were two noise issues that would keep me from coming back. Being at the back of the hotel and not very high up, I was right over a large tourist bar in the back that features live music. Even with the balcony doors closed and fan on, I could hear the beat of the music when trying to sleep. Also, I heard EVERYTHING from the room next door. I'm not sure if was due to the door between the rooms as it's one of those rooms set up for adjoining rooms. I count myself very lucky that my neighbour only made what sounded like one long mobile phone call. I could hear every flush and every time he put his teacup down on the saucer. I shudder to think of what it would have been like with a family with kids or honeymoon couple next door.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank sklose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sardegna
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Yes, this is a real question, because when I asked an umbrella, it was raining often, the concierge told me that there were't umbrella and He was also a little bit suprised for the question.
The hotel was good, maybe the best hall that I saw in my life, but the room was normal.
Internet's cost was uncredible, hyper expensive.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Nice old hotel - lovely lobby & good sized rooms. We got a room looking out towards the water, but it's not on the front, there are other hotels in front of it. We had seen a good rate on Expedia, which they gave us at the front desk as well.

I'm sure the hotel food is expensive ( but there's plenty of options very close by as alternatives.

Guest laundry is avalable (at a small cost). Wifi was expensive. Big swimming pool, but it was cold, so we didn't use it (July).

Only complaint I'd have is the thin walls - we seemed to get more noise here than in other places we stayed.

Better value than the big chains.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Business traveller staying for 1 night, was upgraded to a king premium room. Nice view of the harbour and the room was very good. Lots of space, everything worked and plenty of nice touches. Slept very well.

Thought the food overall was quite expensive. Room service brought me a $25 fish and chips and it was a handful of chips and two small pieces of fish. No salad, nothing else. Room service breakfast was worse - $9 for a smoothie? C'mon. Anyway there is an excellent little cafe right beside the hotel serving excellent breakfasts at a great price.

Overall a very good stay, but perhaps the room upgrade has helped my review. Unsure how I would have viewed my initially smaller room at this price rate.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Queensland
Reviewed 2 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sebel for 3 nights recently. Our room was very spacious, bed comfortable and the view to both the River esturary and the Harbour was great. The decor of the hotel is also very pleasant with that "tropical feel" that you would expect ofNorthern Queensland. Most particularly we have to say the service was excellent and was a very pleasant surprise given the size of the hotel. From reception to valet to housekeeping, room service and the waitering staff in the restaurant we could not fault them. They were very friendly and went out of their way to assist us in any way. Would highly recommend this hotel to both international and Australian travellers.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cruizin42
UK
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We paid $130 a night and were very pleased with the accomodation.

The hotel lobby and public areas were elegant, we ate in the restaurant which was good quality and very good service. Cocktails were on happy hour 5-6.30pm which were a good deal. The pool was attractive and had plenty of loungers around it.

The room was a little tired but elegant and spacious, the only problem was - we were facing the front of the hotel on a saturday night and it was very noisy however the other nights were quiet. Great views from the room we were in (918).

We did want to have a late check out but we were advised that this would be charged at $20 an hour which we thought was a bit excessive.

Other than that we were happy with our stay here and would return again (but not on a Saturday night).

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We stayed for one night with a three year old child. The room was really spacious with two double beds, table and seating area and balcony. The bathroom was perfect and again very spacious. This hotel is of an excellent standard with some modern beautiful features, it is clean and well maintained. The location was ideal for walking to some good eating places even with a small child. The pool area was great for children, but also for adults just wanting to relax in the spa. I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here who prefer an excellent quality room and elegant lobby bar.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family