“Great location, large comfy room with balcony looking over Trinity Inlet”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location, large comfy room with balcony looking over Trinity Inlet”
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sebel - a little bit of luxury on a girls get away. Service was great and loved those cocktails in the lobby bar. The pool area was a favourite place with plenty of shade if needed, comfy lounges and poolside service. Close to everything, shops, casino, waterfront, restaurants etc

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2010

After using TA for all most of my holiday/travel research , I decided it was high time I contributed. The Sebel is well positioned. The pool area is gorgeous but in general the rooms feel like they are in need of an update. They are spacious but in need of a revamp. I had requested a king bed but got a room with 2 doubles so wasn't very pleased as I was travelling with my husband but was told they were booked (maybe because I booked at a good rate through Wotif?). The bathroom had a seperate bath and shower cubicle but was very dark even with all the lights on. Also be careful with the bathroom tiles..i sprayed some insect repellent on before walking out the bathroom and the combination of the spray and tiles was not great. I slipped and hit my head on the door frame. I found the food to be expensive for room service so ate out. In general, if they updated the rooms I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
HK
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Good location and nice views of the harbor. Friendly staff but couldn't get early checkin.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Whilst this hotel has all the standard conveniences I'd expect of a hotel this calibre, the number of additional charges around every corner constantly gave the vibe of being mugged.

At $32 for a hot and cold buffet breakfast, one would reasonably expect that large fee to cover all costs. However, if you wanted poached eggs, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, or an omelette, that was an additional $5.50. The room comes with a safe (which was tiny and could have held nothing larger than two coffee mugs) but to get the key required paying an additional fee ($3.50). Internet in the room was an additional $0.55/min or $29/day - and that required a fixed cable connection, not wifi so you were trapped at the narrow small desk to use the internet (the old-style TV sat on the desk so there was no room for working there anyway). I overheard another guest arguing with hotel staff about excessive phone charges for a number of calls they'd made - a $2.75 connection fee per call (even for 1800 toll free numbers) was far more than they were expecting to pay.

In other matters, both the room and bathroom within the room were spacious. The bathroom was well ventilated so it didn't become a steam-filled sauna after a quick shower, and also featured a fog-free mirror which was appreciated.

The restaurant was reasonably priced (mains $23-$32) compared to other restaurants in the area, and the food was certainly edible, though nothing special. The drinks were delivered to the restaurant from the bar and were overpriced.

The breakfast was a major disappointment (particularly given the prices). There were only three cereals (corn flakes, rice bubbles and shredded bran), the fresh fruit selection was very limited, and the hot buffet breakfast did not include what I consider to be staples (no tomatoes, mushrooms, or fried eggs). This was the first Australian hotel I've ever seen with a hot breakfast that did not include fried eggs as a staple - what's a hot breakfast without bacon and eggs??? Scrambled eggs were available in the bain-marie but you could also purchase them custom-cooked for $5.50. Initially I was puzzled by this - why pay for something you have already paid for? - but then I tasted them and realised the included version was poorly cooked slop that had too much milk, so there was no taste and poor consistency. Presumably one could order the scrambled eggs to have less milk and more egg? I ate at the restaurant for three mornings and it did not improve, so I know it was not a one-off failure. I had unfortunately pre-negotiated a special rate with breakfast included for $20 (not $32) so I ate at the hotel but would recommend future guests go down the street and find a cafe instead (there are plenty within a 2-block radius). Although I can't comment on the quality of breakfasts at nearby establishments, I doubt they could be worse than the efforts of Sebel Cairns.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank MQ007b
Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Massive foyer, good size pool and spa on the 3rd floor. Studio room was clean and presentable, but too overly priced I feel. Location is excellent, right in the city of cairns and opposite the casino.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We loved many things about this hotel, especially the pool and location. But we were bitterly disappointed that we could hear everything around us, people pushing chairs upstairs, closing doors and on either side of us, talking, watching TV, arguing - we could hear it ALL! we complained to management, but they did not really say much, or offer compensation or an apology. They just gave us a feedback form to fill out, which we thought was quite disappointing. We wanted to get away for a break, after a hard year of work, but we got very little sleep. If this hotel got sound insulation, I would definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jazzy81
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2010

My wife and I stayed here in August 2010. We chose the Sebel as some friends were getting married and the ceremony and reception were all at the Sebel. It looked nice from the website so we thought it was the best choice (and we wouldn't have to travel between hotel and wedding location).

First impressions were that it was a very nice place. The lobby is stunning, and reminds me of the old luxury hotels you see in places like Hong Kong - high ceilings, floor to ceiling windows, big pillars, marble floors etc. There was no queue to check in, and the check-in staff were very friendly and efficient.

We chose a Harbour View room and on first impressions it was very nice - a good size, big bed, nice bathroom and a good sized balcony. On closer inspection, some of the furniture looked a little tired with bubbling laminate, scratch/water marks etc. However, these are minor gripes.

The wedding was held in the gazebo by the pool and went off without a hitch. The guests retired to the lobby bar for a drink or two, which were served by very friendly and efficient staff. The dinner was held in a private area above the lobby and again the staff were good and the food was superb. My smoked salmon entree was excellent and the beef tenderloin main course was exceptional. The waiters were very attentive without being noticed and regularly filled up water glasses and wine glasses.

OK, so far, so good. Now for the bad points. Firstly I will say that these really aren't the fault of the hotel. Since our room faced the main street, and we were located in the centre of Cairns, and it was a Saturday night, we were subjected to loud and drunken people roaming the street below (or travelling in their party bus with the music up to maximum) from midnight to past 4am. The glass doors to our balcony offered very little in the way of sound insulation so we didn't get much sleep. Perhaps the Sebel should look into double glazing these doors when they do their next refurbishment!

Other people have mentioned the noise coming from adjoining rooms but we didn't get any of that, but it could be that the rooms either side were empty. However in the morning we heard to TV go on in the next room (by the housekeeper I think) and boy was it loud! At first we though it was the TV in our room! So yes, it appears the walls are very thin in this hotel!

Breakfast the next morning was very good (except the pancakes - my wife thought they were pretty bad) with a good selection of cereals, hot food, fruit, toast, yoghurt etc.

However, overall I think the Sebel is a good hotel with excellent staff and good food. If I stayed there again, though, I would try to get a room facing away from the street if possible. If you really hate noise, though, you might want to consider a hotel in a quieter area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple