“Good Value”

Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Cairns
“Good Value”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Have stayed here twice now, both times I got a good price on the room as a Secret Hotel around $82 I think. For this price it was good value, both times rooms were large (if a little tired furnishing wise) with comfy bed and flat screen. Bathroom is also large and quite separate from the room. On my last trip I had a room on the 12th floor which had a wonderful view over Cairns. Rooms had balcony but no furniture to sit on out there. Hotel offers early bird deal on buffet breakfast for $22 but it is pretty ordinary and better value can be found elsewhere.
Be aware that the hotel is a bit of a walk to Cairns sights and nightlife, I have had a car both times so this did not worry me.
If you can get a good price on this hotel it has all the things you need for a good stay, big rooms, friendly staff, pool. I would stay here again for short stays at the right price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on upper floors with view over Cairns.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Rydges is a hotel which could be absolutely anywhere. If all you require is a clean, generic hotel room, isolating you from where you are traveling, and a gym where you can go pretend you never left your hometown and its gym, then this place is for you.

The employee I interacted with had evidently been hired to turn down any request I might make. Late check out? Impossible, we're full (of course, they weren't). Wireless internet? 30$/day. Airport bus? We'll reserve, you pay, but they may not come on time and we're not responsible. Breakfast? 30$ buffer breakfast available.

Yes, the hotel is only a 15 minute walk to bustling downtown, but that's half an hour back and forth, and if you want to step out for dinner or drinks after, that's a bit of a haul.

In my book, a night spent unmemorably while on vacation somewhere exotic is a wasted night. I can do that at home. And Rydges definitely fit that bill.

If you're elderly and want to sit by the side of a not particularly nice pool, or have kids you want to park at the pool while getting some much needed sleep, perhaps this is the place for you. Otherwise, what's the point?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank marqueymarc

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I was very impressed with Rydges Esplanade Resort during my recent stay. Although the Resort isn't located 'in town' it is only a short walk away - the walk along the Esplanade is actually very pleasant.

My room was very clean and tidy and had a great view from the balcony. I had such a good sleep in the 'Dream Bed' that I'm considering buying one!

I dined in the restaurant both evenings - Fire and Ice Buffett one night and a la carte the next. Both meals were fantastic. The buffet was very good value with a great selection of food. The point of difference from usual buffets was that the chefs cook your meat selection to your liking in front of you.

All the staff I met were pleasant, cheerful and helpful and really seemed to enjoy working there.

Overall I would recommend the Resort and I will definitely stay there again next time I visit Cairns.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a 9 night stay in a one bedroom apartment at Rydges Esplanade and enjoyed our stay very much. It was a 10 - 15 minute walk along the esplanade which was great exercise and a pleasant place to walk. There were three swimming pools although the one straight outside the apartment block was the one we used the most as it was warmer than the main pool which would have been an awesome place to swim if temps had been a bit warmer. Downside was that the apartment had a tiny old style tv and certainly needs to be upgraded to a flatsceen on the wall. Apartment was very spacious wuth full kitchen and laundry just outside the entry door. Apartment was very clean and was cleaned mid stay with bed linen changed as well which was great. Towels could do with replacing as were very thin. Also swipe cards used to gain access to our room kept de activating which meant a walk over to the next building to get card sorted. This happened many times and was quite annoying. We would definately stay again and thought it was good value for the size. Apartment was a little tired but clean and comfortable with a deck overlooking the water and another deck off the bedroom. Perfect weather for our stay also made it a great holiday.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Steven_OakleyGM, General Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear JennyMcIsaac

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, your comments are appreciated. With regards to the older style TV’s we are currently working with the independent Apartment and Studio owners for upgrades which is imperative for the pending conversion to Digital. This is also a timely opportunity for a minority of the apartment owners to conduct a ‘freshen up’ of the rooms in general. Thank you for bringing to my attention the issues with the key cards, I will follow this up directly with the Engineering Manager.

Fundamentally, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in Tropical North Queensland and hope we can be of service again.

Respectfully

Steven Oakley
Canberra
Reviewed 7 September 2011

After reading some of the reviews in here re Rydges Esplanade I nearly didn't stay. But I got a great price so I thought I'd give it a go. This is the first time I've written a review, but I was so annoyed with how some reviewers have portrayed this hotel, I thought I'd take the trouble to set the record straight.
All the staff are friendly; they enjoy their jobs and it shows. But who wouldn't in Cairns.
Compared to hotels in Canberra, Sydney & Melbourne the rooms are considerably bigger. The sofas are not brand new, but does that really matter? Usual Rydges attention to detail; clean sheeting, good towels, sensible bathroom accessories.
Yes its a 10/15m stroll into town. But there is an afternoon/evening courtesy bus.The gym, compared to what is around for much higher prices in the southern states, is huge. Half an hour on a bike is all I need but it is really well stocked for those a little more adventurous than I.
Choice of 3 pools, really family friendly, a real pleasant surprise from the bleak images written in here. It's 4 star, but to me, it seems closer to 4 and a half than 4.
I'll be back next July is the only way I can summarise.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank ChrisofCanberra
Dear ChrisofCanberra

Pleasing to read you had a great stay with us here in Tropical North Queensland. Your review is a great representation of our product and we thank you for your honesty. I am pleased you took advantage of our Health Club and I jointly agree it’s not what you would expect from a traditional Hotel due to its size and offerings.
We have spent considerable time improving the Hotel product of late which is not only reflected through our positive team but clearly through our valued guests such as yourself. Once again I appreciate the positive impression you have reflected.

Sincerely

Steven Oakley
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Wanted to share our experience so others can be aware. Booked a 'studio apartment' thru the website, assuming that the building would be on the Esplanade. These apartments are not on the Esplanade but a separate building facing the busy street behind. They are accessed thru a grotty underground carpark, are dated, carpets and furniture badly stained, noisy and the mattresses are old and uncomfortable. Have been told by management that the apartments are privately owned and managed by Rydges, no excuse as far as I'm concerned. My issue is that the apartments continue to be misrepresented on the website as there is no mention of the location and condition. Management have apologised which was appreciated, however I'm concerned others may be caught out as we were. Ask questions before booking.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank JandNFamily
Auckland, NZ
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights last month and really enjoyed our stay. It was my 2nd visit. The reception staff are relaxed but professional, and we were very kindly upgraded to a mountain view room on arrival. The room was clean and spacious with a large bathroom. No real frills as such, but perfectly fine for us and we didn't spend a lot of time there anyway.

We had both breakfast and dinner at the restaurant and were impressed with both - moreso the dinner as the breakfast felt like a generic buffet.

Only small negative was the pool area for some reason doesn't look very inviting. The hotel is also a little bit out of town for some (around a 750m walk) however that suited us as it also meant it was quiet. Recommended.

Room Tip: Mountain View rooms are very quiet - request a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business