“Highly recommend”

Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Loved our stay here! Very satisfied with the accommodations, our room, and the service. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The hotel is located just at the end of the Esplanade which is a good walk to the main area, however we didn't mind the walk, plus it's further away from all the night noise. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have a fantastic view of the city, water, and mountains. Well worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim Y
Steven_OakleyGM, General Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Dear Tim Y,

It’s great you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the positive comments; we take great pride in ensuring guest satisfaction. As you have correctly mentioned we are very fortunate with our location, being right in between the airport and the main CBD. Makes for an easy enjoyable walk down the esplanade or a quick arrival once landed. Once again, thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Kind regards
Steven GM

There are newer reviews for Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had a pleasant stay at Rydges Esplanade, it is in need of quite abit of work but it is comfortable enough.I certainly wouldn't pay the full rate but if you can get a deal it's worth it.

Pros:
Close walking distance to restaurants,cares etc
Tidy enough

Cons:
We stayed in a motel room but asked to view a 2 bedroom tower apartment as we have family that is looking at staying there when we get married there in October and I have since told the family to look elsewhere as the apartments were a great size but had mould on the roof and paint peeling off the window frames and lots of stains on the carpet.

Also, we put our two towels on the edge of the bath to be replaced during the room clean and they took both but only left one clean one.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Steven_OakleyGM, General Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear KSMS Sydney,

Your review is appreciated and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in Tropical Cairns. I have noted your points and will raise these with the independent unit owners, thank you for this.

I am positive that your wedding in October will be exceptional and we will ensure that both your guests and special day is well catered for. You have truly picked a great location in Tropical North Queensland, see you in October.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My partner and I spent eight nights in Cairns where we stayed in Rydges Esplanade Resort for a total of six nights. As we arrived early, we checked in our luggage at the reception and went shopping as we had about four hours to spend before we could check into our rooms. The convenient location meant that we were only about 10 minutes from town centre and the walk along the coast was lovely. When we arrived back to the hotel, the lovely staff had already taken our luggage up! Excellent service.

The room was spacious and we were glad that they supplied a decent sized television. The mini fridge has ample space to store your own beverages and the bathroom is well stocked with towels. We were slightly disappointed that there were no slippers or robes supplied but it was not a big deal. Great air conditioning!

The concierge was very helpful in organizing our tours and gave good advice on what he thinks is worthwhile to see. And he was not wrong.

As we were in Cairns to get certified for scuba diving, we had two nights where we stayed on a boat. The staff at Rydges Esplanade kindly stored our luggage and then placed them back into our new rooms when we came back. Made life very easy for us as we were very tired after the course.

It was overall, a great place to stay. Would come back again.

CON:
- Expensive internet. The rates were rather ridiculous and we were better off using free wifi at the McDonalds.
- The gym and spa is not conveniently located. I think it is shared with other accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Amythlf

Thanks for taking the time to add your comments and experience with the Hotel. It’s always great to hear that the team has provided our guests with exceptional service. Cairns certainly is a great place to do your Scuba License and you have now set a very high bar for your future dive experiences. Then again it’s a great excuse to come back and explore the reef some more. Once again thanks for your positive response.

Steve GM

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for three nights. I'm very torn on this hotel, though all in all it was a pleasant stay, other than the check-in experience.

The bad:

The three people who were working the front desk were not friendly at all when I checked in. I wasted a lot of time trying to get a priority rewards membership to save 50% off the internet. I had tried getting one of these free memberships from home earlier that day, and the day before, but the site had been down. As a result I had to spend 30 or 40 minutes trying to sign up on a hotel provided ipad at the front desk, and despite having been assisted by the "manager" we still couldn't get it to work. At the "manager's" suggestion, I went to freshen up in my room. While doing so, I connected to the internet to check e-mail in my room. An hour or two later, I finally managed to get my priority rewards membership and went to the front desk to give them this number, but was informed by a gal who wasn't rude per se, but who was not the least bit friendly, and then by the "manager" that I was now locked in to the $29/day rate and that I shouldn't have used it before having my priority rewards membership inserted in the computer. I tried protesting, but the manager claimed that all he could do was to give me a $9 discount the first day (i.e. I had to pay $20), and that I'd have to pay $29 each subsequent day. I was disgusted and this experience really soured my views on the hotel.

The second "bad" issue is that i had reserved a room with a queen size bed on Expedia. The site clearly warned that this was by no means guaranteed and given that I had made my reservation a few hours before checking in, I wasn't really surprised that it was not available. My only issue here, is the fact that the girl who checked me in told me that I had requested two double beds and that if I wanted a queen size bed I'd have to pay $20/night for an upgraded room. This wasn't really a big deal but she just seemed to be completely unable to show any empathy at all. Also, I'm not sure why they couldn't just give me the room they had available, since it was available anyway.

The other "bad" issue I had, wasn't bad in so much that there were some old newspapers on my balcony which were clearly visible from the room. Neither the person who cleaned the room before I checked in, nor the people who cleaned it during my stay ever threw them away. This wasn't a big issue, but leaves one to wonder how thorough the cleaning really is, if they can't be bothered to toss away old newspapers which are visibly littering the balcony.

The good:

After the first night's $29 internet fiasco, I spent all of 5 minutes speaking to the day time manager, who promptly took care of the internet charges. She was wonderful and I ended up paying $14.50/day for internet, which is the rate I should have been charged in the first place.

The room itself was very clean (other than said newspapers on balcony), the bartender and waitresses were great, and all of the other front desk workers were fabulous including one guy from Papa New Guinea, a gal from Japan and a gal who looked like a 1970's flight attendant (these three were absolutely wonderful).

The bed was comfortable, the internet was lightning fast, the restaurant was good, the Hotel had guest laundry facilities ($3 wash/dry) and there was a small fridge in the room. The hotel was in a great location and less than 10 minutes (walking) from the shops, restaurants, and Boardwalk.

All in all, it was a great stay, and were it not for the manner in which I was treated during check-in and immediately thereafter, I would have given the hotel four stars, maybe even five stars, and would have highly recommended it to anyone looking for a hotel in Cairns.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Dear Soly44

It’s great that you have managed to sign up for our Rydges Priority Guest (RPG) programme which has some fantastic benefits as you have discovered. Despite some issues with the Ipad which have been rectified I am pleased that the Duty Manager did provide personal assistance. Now that you are an RPG member booking directly through the Rydges website will avoid any potential ‘request errors’ through a third party site plus you will get the most competitive rates available. Aside from your initial IT challenges on arrival I sincerely appreciate the positive comments about the team’s service and look forward to welcoming you back as an RPG member.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here and felt it was located close to the centre and everything was within walking distance. The hotel was good value for money and they even had a self service laundry which was useful! The food was good and something for everyone ! My wife loved it and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it ! :))

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnaynsley
Steven_OakleyGM, General Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Johnaynsley

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I have conveyed your comments to our Chefs, who, like me were delighted to learn. Producing quality food for all our guests is certainly the aim of our Fire and Ice Buffet and is also reflected on our Ala Carte recent menu change. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 9 February 2012

There are three Rydges hotels in Cairns and this is the one farthest from the town center. It's an easy 5-10 minute walk, though, so this should dissuade you from booking.

Pros
- Our room with two double beds was large and had a balcony facing the harbor. Amazing sunrise and sunset views.
- The beds were extremely comfortable and the air conditioner was quiet, which led to some quality sleeps.
- Sizable mini fridge, so we could buy our own beverages.
- Free wifi in the lobby. It's glacial, so not ideal for any real work.
- Good sized pool and other facilities, like a washer and dryer on the 11th floor.

Cons
- You must pay to use the in-room safe. It's the first time I've ever seen that.

Nothing substantial to complain about. This was a nice resort with friendly staff. I'd recommend this to friends visiting Cairns.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank AppleBiter

Dear Cechin

Thanks for the positive reflection of the hotel. I am very pleased to say that the only ‘con’ you have addressed has been rectified and we no longer charge for the use of the safe. Its pleasing you enjoyed our Rydges Dream Beds which I am sure added to your quality sleep. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Steven GM

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Only 10 mins from airport and really close to shops and city. The hotel is a little dated and could do with a refurb - but rooms were clean and tidy and staff service was good.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Paddles72
Thanks for your comments the hotel has aged well and offers quite possibly the largest rooms in Cairns. Coupled with recent investment and our ongoing attention to the finer details such as cleaning, the hotel is in great shape. Thanks for making comment on our teams positive service attributes it’s appreciated.