“Good hotel”

Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Me and My husband stayed there on our 1st night in Cairns. Its really conveniently located, within 10-15 minutes from the airport, walking distance to the cairns city center and the beautiful esplanade lagoon. Easy to locate the hotel in GPS too. They do have their own under cover car park. Next day they even allowed us to have our car parked there till the evening even after the checkout time as we were going to Green island. (even though we decided not to use it after that) Staff is really friendly, Their resort is so homely, I love the little salon inside the hotel. Their bar was great where we got free drinks as we were in the priority guest rewards program. Their pool was beautiful and very peaceful and clean too. Rooms very clean and more than what was expected, we booked a standard queen room. Bed was very comfortable,spacious room, clean. The view was really nice, you can have the full uninterrupted beautiful mountain view just in front of your eyes, even when you were sleeping on bed, which was a major plus. Service was good, prices very reasonable, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: standard queen room with mountain view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DDiaz83
Shannon_Craig_Rydges, General Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Hi DDiaz83, thanks for the fantastic review, so glad you enjoyed your stay and shared it with us.

Hope to see you again soon.

Shannon Craig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I am a Sales Rep & stay at Rydges everywhere, so when it came to my partners B'day I thought we would stay at the Rydges Esplanade...What a mistake! It is by far the worst Rydges I have ever visited & is sub standed at best, I paid for a deluxe room & although the view over the water was deluxe the room was a disappointment. Upon entering the room there was red stains of sorts in numerous places on the carpet, the walls had dark marks on them & the aircon ducts had thick dust around them, the shower had black mould on the glass screen...maybe between the glass panels. Upon inspecting the room I went down to the front desk to see if indeed this was a deluxe room & voice my concerns, the response was less than impressive..."Oh I have another room, not deluxe you can view it to see if it suits" We also had the Buffet for Dinner & although the food was good there was not enough staff on to keep up with the rush & upon leaving the Restaurant I was asked to pay for drinks that the staff had booked to the wrong table. I can tell you that I was less than impressed with the stay, Only that I did not want to ruin my partners B'day or upset my daughter...I would of packed up & refused to stay upon inspection of the room. Needless to say that I will never stay here again & have notified my company that when sending Reps to Cairns that they do not stay here!

Room Tip: Before committing to stay in the room ask to view it so that you are happy to pay for it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank WonderingJo127
Hi WonderingJo127, I was disappointed to read your comments, it is a shame we have left you with such a negative impression of Rydges Esplanade.
Our Ocean view rooms are super popular and I apologise that we were unable to move you on request. Glad to read you enjoyed the buffet, and that you were easily able to rectify the table charges.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Shannon Craig

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Duluth, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The mattress was so soft and lumpy I had to pull the cushions off the sofa and sleep on the floor. Unbelievably awful night. Restaurant ambiance was florescent lighting and noisy. Food was good, and service was acceptable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuciJon
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The hotel is well located, easy to access. Playground for kids is not far. Room was clean, however no kitchen area at all, just a small bench. Internet is too expensive - $29/day - you kidding me. Breakfast is expensive. It was easier to find a restaurant or a cafe on Esplanade and have good meal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hi alclay, thank you for your great review.

To get the best breakfast price we recommend booking a bed and breakfast package on Rydges.com.
We also offer serviced apartments if you are looking for a kitchen ot kitchenette. I hope that helps for next time.

See you again soon

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I was in Cairns for a conference and had previously stayed at the hotel. Whilst not centrally located, it is a fairly easy walk into town and there is a shuttle which runs in the afternoon/ evening. I found the staff at check in (I only arrived at 11.15pm) and out (left at 4.30am) to be friendly and helpful. I thought the room was well appointed and spacious and I was lucky to have a partial sea view. Breakfasts were comprehensive. On the negative side, I thought the electronic charges (internet and wi - fi) were very high, as were the laundry charges (which are doubled on a Sunday/ public holiday!!). I also arrived back at 2pm one afternoon to find that my room had not been serviced. Overall, though, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and would happily stay there for a third time.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south have a partial sea view whilst those facing east have total sea views - these roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Hi Craig68, thank you for your feedback, glad to read you enjoyed the conference in sunny Cairns.

You will be pleased to note we are working on a new solution regarding the internet that will reduce charges dramatically.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My partner and i stayed at the Rydges for one night.
Good Points
- Great Location
- Nice size rooms

Bad points
- $29 for internet or $.70 per minute!
- $30 for breakfast
- Very rude and un-helpful staff

We first checked in and was put in a disabled room, which would be fine, but there was a bench with a shower above it, and after travelling for hours all we wanted was a nice bath/shower.
Also we booked a mountain view room, from this room on the second level, there was no view of the mountain, so we were dissapointed.
The room also had no tea/coffee or kettle and no cups etc and looked dirty

I went straight to reception and explained all of the above, and was told in a very shirty rude manner "a disabled shower is not that much different" and that the room we were in was a mountain view room, but clearly had no view!
We were moved to a room on a higher level, and the room was great. Great view, clean and lovely size. It had all the things to make tea/coffee and even had a bath and shower.

For location i would say great, but bare in mind when you book you have hidden charges like interent, and you only get wireless in lobby or rooms on 10th floor +

Room Tip: Higher floors 10 and above have wireless, although is $29 for internet!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatieRocko
Shannon_Craig_Rydges, General Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Hi KatieRocko, thank you for your complete review of Rydges Esplanade Cairns,

I do apologise that you found the team unhelpful regarding your room location, it does appear that you ended up where you wanted and got to take in that fantastic view.

We hope to see you again soon

brisbane
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Although there are some signs of aging the hotel is still a lovely property. Short walk to central restaurants and nightlife. One thing that impressed me was the staff. They were exceptionally helpful, knowledgable and fast with their service

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Hi snowy71, thanks for the great review.

I was glad to read the team were there helpful and knowledgeable selves.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.