“No love for this place, disappointing”

Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed for a conference. Checked in and learned that free wifi only extended to the lobby and conference floor - everything else was $29 per day. I asked them to check, they did and confirmed $29 a day. Found out on last day of the conference it should have been $10. Everything cost extra here, extra to use in room safe, extra for movies. The beds were so old they actually slanted into the middle of the room clearly where people had slept to be in the sight-line of the television. I felt like I was climbing mount everest in my sleep just trying not to roll off the bed. Decor is very outdated. Buffet was serve yourself and I likened it to feeding stock - there was literally no personal touch in the dining area at all, didn't interact with any staff apart from checking if my room included breakfast. Make your own tea and coffee. There is no frills at all. The rooms were cleaned every day -

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Liss K

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here in 2 different apartments before and after taking a cruise. Both the rooms were large and well-equipped and very clean EXCEPT for the end of the sheet on the second bed when we first arrived - the linen had clearly been through the laundry, but something not very nice had been baked on and was clearly visible on the made bed. As we had 2 enormous beds it didn't matter as we weren't sleeping in it, but I can't believe the chambermaid didn't see it!

Apart from that everything was great and the staff were especially helpful. The hotel was in easy walking distance of the front, town and train station and there is a small supermarket just around the corner.

I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pco1
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My Husband and I have been staying at the Esplanade Resort everytime we come to Cairns whether it is for hospital appointments, holiday or for work since 2011 as we live remotely in Cape York.
In 2012, we stayed for 6 weeks while we awaited our second child.
It was an absolute delight to stay in the apartments and we made friends with the staff while we were there. They were friendly and one who stood out the most was Donna. Donna bent over backwards to help us out and it has never been forgotten.
Everytime we stay the ladies catch up with us and see how we are doing. It's lovely and makes our stay feel very homely and welcoming.
Next year we intend on staying again to have baby #3.
And honestly I can't wait!
Everyone is so friendly and helpful.

But sadly I do have to admit there is one man, I don't remember his name. He was rude, he was smiling and laughing with the people in front of us in line one time and when it was our turn to organise a trip his demeanour changed and I felt very unwelcome and even thought I should walk away.
On that same trip I needed to go to Cairns central and decided on taking the bus with my then 3 year old son, he drove like a maniac, way to fast for Cairns city traffic and I felt very unsafe.
From now on I plan on taking this up with the manager if ever I have a problem with this dark haired man again.
Very unfriendly!

But EVERYONE else.
Especially Donna, Nanna Marie, Michelle and Val, You make it such a wonderful place to stay when my family and I stay. Thank you. :)

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Melissa E
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed 4 nights in a 1 bed apartment. On arrival the staff were lovely - when we got to our room we were disappointed, it looked nothing like the pictures, the room was old and run down, smelt damp and the kitchen was riddled with ants. I would have asked for my money back but after travelling for 6 hrs with a toddler we just wanted to relax - in hind sight we should have though. The bed was as hard as a rock!! We were told when booking that there would be a possibility of late check out if we asked the day before departure, when I asked they told me they don't do late check outs for the apartments, in fact when I complained and told the story was different when booking I was told "they don't own the apartments but will let the owner know about our dissatisfaction" So basically they will take your money but then that's where the service ends. We will never stay at any Rydges again. We travelled through QLD over 3 weeks and sadly this was a not so nice ending.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sez255
Shannon_Craig_Rydges, General Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Hello Sez255,

It is a shame that you felt the threat of a bad review on trip advisor would assist us in being able to delay the arrival of the next guest to the Hotel. Unfortunately sometimes we are simply unable to offer a late check out.

As you can imagine the above makes it difficult to ascertain the validity of your other comments, they will however be investigated as it is never our intention to disappoint our guests. I hope that you did in fact enjoy your stay with the exception of our inability to offer a late checkout and you were simply following through on your threat.

Shannon Craig.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Very good hotel. About 15 minute walk along the promenade to Cairns restaurants and shops
We were high up at the back of the hotel but had good views from the balcony towards the mountains
Buffet breakfast was good, we had B&B, but if you had to pay it was 30 Aus Dollars which was not worth it for a standard buffet breakfast: scrambleds eggs, sausages, cereals, etc

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mel R
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

We had a very pleasant stay at the Rydges Cairns and we were made very welcome. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was ready for us on arrival and very well presented and clean. Good size bathroom, these are often an after thought.
There was plenty of choice for breakfast, catering for a wide variety of different nationalities. The restaurant in the evening has a theme night, it was called Ice and Fire the week we were there.
We used one of the two pools for an early evening swim.The gym is worth a visit over near the tennis court.
The hotel is in a good location and makes a lovely place to stay with all there is to see and do including the Great Barrier Reef.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank famille_phipps
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Good hotel in the quieter part of Cairns-the hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the centre and harbour. The hotel itself is a little dated but well presented. We had a very large room on the very top floor with stunning views over the rainforest.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple