“Adequate”

Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The rooms are clean although a little dated. The bathroom especially requiring a revamp. The check in process was efficient as was the check out process. The foyer was abundant with many tourists preparing for their days adventures which made the trek to the reception area a little difficult. But as mentioned, once there all went smoothly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 February 2014

a good 4 star property with service well above the others.a must is the buffet dinner.fresh seafood good for you plus steak lamb and chicken all cooked the way you ask.the chefs are indeed friendly.of course there is plenty of cold sea food and salads.not to forget the sweets and cheeses.the staff friendly and no waiting for those dirty dishes to be taken away.loved the place.

Room Tip: sea view a must
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Chinmay P, Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear John1604,

Thanks a lot for such a great review about our Fire & Ice seafood buffet.

I am really pleased to know that you had a great experience during you stay with us. Happy to know that you’ve enjoyed the Fire & Ice Seafood dinner; and will surely pass you great words to our kitchen team.

We will be honoured to have you stay with us again soon.

Regards,

Chinmay & the team @ Rydges Esplanade Resort

Reviewed 31 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at Rydges for 5 nights last week and overall happy with their service. The room was nice and clean, full buffet brekkie was yummy and staff did their best to satisfy our needs. I had to ask restaurant attendant for a segment of a lemon due to my sickness and she brought nearly half a lemon. The next morning I was having my breakfast but couldn't be bothered asking for anything that day as I was feeling really crap that day and she came to me asking if I wanted some lemon today. That was really nice of nice, unfortunately, I don't remember her name but she was definitely from some European country. We booked the Crocodile Adventure tour through Rydges Tour Desk and were not disappointed because the price was really good. We loved our stay at Rydges and will certainly come back next time!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2014

we stayed at the Rydges Esplanade Resort Hotel for 5 nights. Although it was clean and we had all we needed this hotel is dated and needs some refreshing. You could feel the springs in the mattresses. The towels were very thin. Using the iron provided in the room blew the fuse but the most annoying issue was that the air conditioning cannot be regulated. It is either on or off. Since it was hot outside it was needed but it was set way too cold for us so we kept having to turn it on and off all the time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Francine D
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We recently stayed in a Family Tower apartment. I have no idea where the rooms in the picture were taken but it most certainly wasn't in our room!
I was initially a little hesitant in booking the room because of the price (it was low) but after reading numerous reviews I just decided that must have been because it wasn't right in the centre of town. Hmmmm, after checking in and heading to our room we quickly realised why it was cheap! The picture makes the room look fresh, modern and clean - we opened the door to find something of 80's or 90's style. The lounges looked grotty and the place was just generally run down and old. Even if they just replaced the bedding on the beds with crisp white linen and a runner (as shown in photos) it most probably would have made the world of difference but instead I had to lay under what felt like a seedy old style bedspread, you know the ones that fold back and also cover the pillows? The kitchen was very old too but I wasn't there to cook so that didn't really bother me. I hardly got a wink of sleep anyway because whenever any of the apartments above us flushed their toilet the noise was unbearable in our room.
We were only staying for 1 night so there was no point in complaining or finding alternative accommodation but in future I don't think I would even consider any Rydges hotel if that is their standard.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tdunlop
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Be careful when you book the Rydges hotel. There are two Rydges hotels in Cairns. I am writing a review specifically for the Rydges Esplanade Resort.
This hotel's location is not as good as the other Rydges hotel, first of all. The other one is located right by the restaurants and shoppes, while this one is several blocks away.
We stayed in this hotel for five nights. Our room was never cleaned during all that time. I mean, they changed the linens and made the beds, but.... if we left a tissue on the floor, it would still be there when we got back. If there was sand on the bathtub, it would still be there when we got back. Our room was never cleaned or vacuumed. So I called the manager of the hotel to tell him about this and his response was: "fill out a comment card". Ok, dear manager: please view my comment card above.
Breakfast is nothing special in this hotel. Coffee is horrible unless you order a specially made one (not included in the breakfast).
We went to dinner once at the hotel. I ordered a kids meal for my daughter: chicken breast and fries (they call them chips in Australia). The chicken was burned and the fries had sugar instead of salt! I asked the waitress why the fries had sugar, and she told me that it was salt, that it couldn't be sugar. My daughter would not eat anything from her plate as it tasted awful. I asked the waitress if I could get her some white rice from the buffet so I could give her some with a little bit of my steak, and she told me: "well, just a little bit". My daughter is 3 years old. We were seven people dining in the restaurant, and she would be stingy about a little bit of white rice from the buffet, after paying for a meal that was not edible?
The towels at the pool look like worn dish rags. They are not white anymore, and they are torn.
So, I have not stayed at the other Rydges hotel, and can't tell you if it is good or not, but make sure that when you make your reservation, you don't stay at this one.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Aurora S
Shannon_Craig_Rydges, General Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Hi Aurora S, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

I think its fair to say "Dirty" is not that accurate based on your review. I do apologise that my team failed to pick up your used tissues and remove the bathtub sand, I will remind them that although not our favourite jobs these things need to be done.

I appreciate your feedback regarding breakfast, any recommendations that you think would improve our offering would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Shannon Craig

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here for three nights on our way back from Japan - it was the perfect way to relax after a long trip. The room was spacious and clean with a great view of the esplanade. Friendly staff, very comfortable beds and the poolside bar was an added bonus. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Taylor B

Hi Taylor B,

Thank you for the fantastic review, great to read you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Shannon, and the Team at Rydges Esplanade.