“Simply Brilliant”

Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Alstonville, Australia
“Simply Brilliant”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I booked well in advance, got a good deal over the www, by buying direct from Rydges.
OK, so whats good about them...
1/. Good location, they are situated along the Esplanade, about 3 blocks from the hustle and bustle of Cairns main lagoon area.
2/. A very easy walk into town along the esplanade...10 minutes of walking bliss.
3/. Free WiFi in all the rooms, fast as well, not problems logging in...you get 500mb per session.
4/. The staff ...the heart of any service business...very helpful and kind.
5/. Pool, nice and big, kids will enjoy it as well

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pandkgraham
Chinmay P, Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear pandkgraham,

Thanks for a lovely review. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Chinmay & the Rydges Esplanade team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Norwich
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel is in a good location, with well sized rooms and a lovely pool area. It is about 15 minutes from the main center of Cairns, where you will find the wonderful lagoon and night market. It is just 2 minutes from the beach promenade. The breakfast is brilliant and has a wide variety of food.

The only lacking thing is the reception staff who are very disinterested and quite rude. They appear unwilling to help with general queries and made quite an impact on mine and my groups first moments in the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanna489
Limousin, France
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Requested a room that my Mother could have a step in shower, no problem. The staff came out to help with our bags, very friendly and courteous. Stayed 2 nights early Feb 2014. Close to the City Centre, close to the hospital so a great location for us. They did run a shuttle bus but we chose to drive or taxi. Room was great with an ocean view. Ate in the seaffod buffet one night which was fantastic value and great food.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mackatwo
Dear Wendy M,

Thanks you for such a nice review about us.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff looked after you very well.

We will be glad to welcome you again soon.

Regards,

Chinmay & the team @ Rydges Esplanade Resort.
Craigieburn, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Fairly close to the airport (about $20 cab fare) and very close to the beach, pubs, etc but I found the place a little... Odd, I guess.

On check-in I was greeted by a front desk employee that, when presented with my name and the company I work for, said "You need to go to the trade winds." No hello, no can I help you, no explanation of what "the trade winds" was, nothing. When I told him I had just gotten off of a series of bumpy flights and was just doing what my employer told me to do he then looked, found my reservation, and presented me with my keys to that property (not the trade winds, which I learned was one of their sister properties... Somewhere.

The room was nothing remarkable but did have a balcony with a view of the neighbouring backpackers hotel and part of the area. No beach view that I could see but it was at night and in the beginning stages of a tropical storm so the views may be better normally. No mini bar in the room but there were basic coffee and tea facilities and a sign saying that drinks could be ordered via room service. The bathtub was about the right length and comfortable enough but was very deep. Definitely the deepest bathtub I've ever seen. There was also an area of wasted space at the end of the tub and partially walled off from the sink area to make it unusable. I'm not sure what the original design was but it is now a bit odd and unusable. Toiletries provided were nice enough. Again, nothing remarkable but nice enough. There is a huge shower that would be perfect for two people but there is only one shower head so, again, it makes for wasted space.

The hotel bar seemed nice enough, again nothing special, and was empty except for the bartender. I bought two beers and a packet of potato chips ($21, typical pricing for a hotel bar in the area) and took them to my room. I didn't use the restaurant or other facilities on this quick overnight trip so I can't really comment on them.

The staff were of mixed backgrounds and the only other guests that I saw were Japanese, part of a tour group, I think. No complaints or criticisms, here. Just an observation that may/may not impact on your ability to communicate with other guests if you desire to do so.

Perhaps the worst thing, however, is the Rydges loyalty program. In effect, it's worthless. You only get points if you book through their web site and the only other benefit is the 10% discount in their restaurant. Both of these "benefits" are worthless to a business traveller that is on an expense account and has their stays booked by the company travel agency. Compare this to the IHG group that gives me points toward free nights, upgrades (usually to a suite or better), fruit & mineral water, a welcome gift, free mini bar, and often free breakfast and/or free drinks and canapés in the evening and you quickly realise how poor the Rydges program is and how much better the one at IHG is.

This is the preferred hotel for my company in Cairns but I think I'll see if there's a Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn in the area and get permission to stay there from now on instead.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The rooms are clean although a little dated. The bathroom especially requiring a revamp. The check in process was efficient as was the check out process. The foyer was abundant with many tourists preparing for their days adventures which made the trek to the reception area a little difficult. But as mentioned, once there all went smoothly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2014

a good 4 star property with service well above the others.a must is the buffet dinner.fresh seafood good for you plus steak lamb and chicken all cooked the way you ask.the chefs are indeed friendly.of course there is plenty of cold sea food and salads.not to forget the sweets and cheeses.the staff friendly and no waiting for those dirty dishes to be taken away.loved the place.

Room Tip: sea view a must
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear John1604,

Thanks a lot for such a great review about our Fire & Ice seafood buffet.

I am really pleased to know that you had a great experience during you stay with us. Happy to know that you’ve enjoyed the Fire & Ice Seafood dinner; and will surely pass you great words to our kitchen team.

We will be honoured to have you stay with us again soon.

Chinmay & the team @ Rydges Esplanade Resort
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at Rydges for 5 nights last week and overall happy with their service. The room was nice and clean, full buffet brekkie was yummy and staff did their best to satisfy our needs. I had to ask restaurant attendant for a segment of a lemon due to my sickness and she brought nearly half a lemon. The next morning I was having my breakfast but couldn't be bothered asking for anything that day as I was feeling really crap that day and she came to me asking if I wanted some lemon today. That was really nice of nice, unfortunately, I don't remember her name but she was definitely from some European country. We booked the Crocodile Adventure tour through Rydges Tour Desk and were not disappointed because the price was really good. We loved our stay at Rydges and will certainly come back next time!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple