“Appalling unprofessional ism”

Canberra, Australia
“Appalling unprofessional ism”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

If you get room 24.... you have been ripped

I had booked for this resort from 02 Oct till 07 Oct 2012 based on the reviews i saw at trip advisor and the web site of the apartments.before making the booking I gave an email seeking confirmation regarding rooms being sea facing and with balcony and was confirmed the same but it was far from the truth.

On our arrival at cairns we followed the same check in procedure as explained in our booking letter.and that was no issue . But there in the problems started
The letter said your parking is the same as your apartment number.when I went to park I found my parking was already occupied.so now what do you do.....you park in someone else's space go to your room and ask the caretakers ..for a spot.....one of the dis advantages of self check in.self check in is good if things are checked in advance and in place.this was after I had sent a mail a day before to reconfirmed my bookings....and also telling an approx time of us arriving in the evening......the point is if you say free parking and you say that the park in the bay as your room number...then I guess it must be ensured that the services as written must be in place....however I can take this to be a minor incident and true to the way the apartments are done up ....you cannot entirely blame it on the care takers......

But where I say the unprofessionalism and false information comes in was when we came to our room.the hotel web site, trip advisor web site says....sea facing apartments with balcony...
"Panoramic Ocean Views
Spacious, private balcony
Outdoor setting for balcony dining"
These are the exact wordings from the web site
But when we got to our room...the balcony was one small feet of extension...see attached photograph. Now I had read trip advisor reviews earlier in one of which the caretakers had mentioned....that if you are in satisfied please call us and we will show you a better one.....so that is what I did exactly...picked up the phone and spoke to Anne

When I told her about the balcony...she said unfortunately that's apartment is like that...after a bit more of discussion she said she could get me to another room the next day....I said ok let me discuss it with my wife.....

Now comes my second point
There was no air conditioning in the master bedroom....
"Designer Master Bedroom
Split system air conditioning"
These are the original web site wordings only
Now in the master bedroom there was no air conditioning....the logic given that a single air conditioner in the living room will some how cool the master bedroom...just keep the doors open

Well if this was some other down trodden low budget hotel...I could have accepted it..but it was number 3 on trip advisor list and the web site boasts of facilities as I have mentioned.....I had booked the apartment based on the wordings and pictures and too an extent reviews on trip advisor....but the services provided..were not as those mentioned on the web sites.
Our booking confirmation said "........large ocean view apartment with large balcony" exact wordings from booking confirmation letter.so please photograph attached to decide if that's what is called a large balcony.

Ok now the third bit...10 minutes after we had rung up Anne . We get a knock on the door....and this gentleman standing there tells us ....well listen this is the only room I got and I can't move you to the other room as promised as we got other bookings.when I told him that this room was not as per what the web site promised.he said well this is the only room ....people have been staying here earlier...and that's how it's gonna be. A total ...to hell with you attitude...I couldn't care less.... When I told him about the air conditioning...he said well that's how this apartment has been...

Well really put me off was the attitude...it looked that by giving us a room...he had done a big favour for to us....after a few minutes of discussion he said well if you want you can leave and I'll give you a full refund. And I will also grant it that he said i ll give you a dollar 30 discount for the room.

Now my point is that I was not there trying to get a discount and neither was I looking for cheap accomodation. I had planned my trip well in advance did all the bookings and the planning...confirmed and recon firmed ...then I should have been provided the services as mentioned on the web site.if a particular service was not available it should have been told to us at the time of the booking or the web site should amend its wording that not all rooms have a balcony. Give us the correct information.
I had made my booking thinking all rooms have large balcony s and the master bedroom has an air conditioner. And this was what was mentioned on he review.
Well if you see the photographs attached this was not the case.well I don't care if I was offered a free refund.....it was school holidays...where n the world would I have got a similar type of ocean facing room with balcony at the last moment and that's what is unfair and unprofessional. By giving me a full refund did not solve my problem. In any case the attitude and the appalling behaviour still convinced me that staying here was not an option even at 30 dollar discount. We decided to move out immediately...and take our chances on the street of cairns hoping we would find better attitude.

This review is absolutely correct and I am happy to reply to any of the comments which I have put up on top.because I am sure this is how it happened.if the caretaker has any issue....lets see them following this up. but i doubt it that they can.....
Well the apartment which I was allotted was number 24...
So people beware ....they will not tell you in advance which room you are getting and if you get number 24 you get ripped for your money..

This was not the cairns vacation start I was looking for...and this apartment does not deserve to be number 3/4 on trip advisor...I wish i could give this one a zero

Room Tip: well you have to speak to them in advance about the room they are giving...dont go by reviews all r...
8 Thank rajdeep_rds
cairnsaquarius1, General Manager at Cairns Aquarius, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Rajdeep, booked a standard apartment on our website. That is precisely what he got. The apartment is large, comfortable and has outstanding ocean views. Apartment 24 is infact a frequently requested apartment and very popular with families.
If there had been another apartment available we would gladly have moved Rajdeep and his family. Unfortunately we were fully booked so that was not possible. We offered a full refund and they opted for that.

There are several very positive reviews on Trip Advisor from families who stayed in 24 and thought it was perfect.

Don Tidswell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have stayed at the Cairns Aquarius twice now, and both times have been so enjoyable and relaxing. I love how you can stand on your verandah and see the whole of the Cairns Esplanande.
Being right on the Esplanade allowed my family and I to easily stroll into the action that Cairns offers. We swam at the lagoon and ate at restaurants, and played on the esplanade parks without even hopping in the car. The accommodation was spacious, and clean, and the kids loved the big screen TV, pool and tennis courts. I think this accommodation is perfect for families or couples, I definitely recommend Cairns Aquarius and I can't wait to visit there again.

1 Thank Suzy G
Thank you Suzy for taking the time to submit a Trip Advisor review.

Suzy is a very gifted and recognised West Australian artist who frequently visits Cairns to paint really lovely landscapes. We thank you for your kind coments and hope you will stay again at Cairns Aquarius if you return to Cairns.

Love your paintings.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We recently stayed at the Cairns Aquarius whilst in Cairns attending a family wedding. There were several memebers of our family staying so we booked a total of 3 apartments. All of the apartments were very spacious and well appointed with all you could need for a family holiday. 2 of the apartments were standard and one was a premium. The standard apartments were very comfortable and suited our needs with all the appliances and facilities one needs for a home away from home feel. The premium apartment was lovely, a little bigger, modern furnishings, and with the addition of a spa in the main bathroom. If you are looking to treat yourself and enjoy that extra touch of luxury the premium apartment is the way to go, however the standards were more than adequate.
The location is perfect! In the middle of the esplanade with many restaurants, and attractions only a short walk away, yet not too close to the action that you get all the noise.
The grounds are lovely with beautiful gardens, 2 swimming pools, BBQ facilities and a tennis court.

The only 2 minor negatives we experienced were:
The bed in our apartment was a double and was quite hard and uncomfortable. The size of the room could easily accommodate a queen or even king size bed.
There were rennovations being undertaken in one of the apartments on the level above us which created a great deal of noise. This was not a large concern as we were out and about most of the time anyway.

Overall a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in apartment 22. Other members of our family had apartment 61 which was the better of the...
1 Thank Fiona W
Thank you Fiona for taking the time to review your families stay at Cairns Aquarius. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you all back again one day.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

My family and I enjoyed 2 weeks in beautiful Cairns and the stay at the Cairns Aquarius made us want to stay longer. The apartment was "exceptional". Modern, spacious and beautifully presented. We will be back.

Room Tip: apartment 81 was a dream to come home to after a lovely day sight seeing.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
cairnsaquarius1, General Manager at Cairns Aquarius, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear June M,

Thank you so much for your "EXCEPTIONAL" review. We really do appreciate guests taking the time to share their holiday experience with others.

We look forward to your return visit. Hopefully in the not too distant future.

Brisbane
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed from Sept 20 - 27 in apartment 64 on the 10th floor. Was very impressed with the size and open plan, also very clean & well kept. I have to say it's the best self contained apartment I've stayed in. The kitchen has everything you need, air conditioning in all rooms helped a lot! Position is fantastic, as soon as you step out the doors you're at the beginning of the restaurants & shops strip. I emailed Annette many times before arriving & every time I received a prompt response answering my many questions. We had no broom in our apartment so phoned Annette, we had one delivered within 10 minutes. I would highly recommend staying at the Cairns Aquarius. Will be definitely staying there next visit to Cairns. Thanks Annette for all your help, much appreciated!

Room Tip: Apartment 64 is great!
1 Thank JoPress
cairnsaquarius1, General Manager at Cairns Aquarius, responded to this review, 13 October 2012
Thank you Jo Press for your wonderful review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Apartment 64 is indeed a beautifully renovated apartment and features in our Trip Advisor photo library.

We look forward to seeing you and your family back at Aquarius. Please book early to secure your prefered apartment.

Annette
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I have recently returned from a holiday staying at the Aquarius Apartments in Cairns. I could not speak highly enough of the venue as a form of accomadation. Our apartment (81) was beautifully laid out and furnished and had everything anyone could hope for. The apartment was spotless and provided a myriad of appliances and crockery. The views from our balcony were amazing. It is located right in the heart of the city and close to everything. My elderly parents were overwhelmed. All the other tennants were extremely friendly and helpful. The apartment block has a very safe and friendly feel about it and is always quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: Stayed in apartment 81. Sensational with great views.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
cairnsaquarius1, General Manager at Cairns Aquarius, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Jan B,
Thank you so much for your glowing review

Having you and your parents here was a pleasure and we hope that we will see you again when you next visit Cairns.

Annette
Queanbeyan, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I'm not really sure what other reviewers were expecting when they complain about very little being supplied with the unit. This was so much more than we expected!
Travelling with 2 young teenagers can be challenging but this apartment was an absolute find and so much more than we were expecting. After a long flight we were able to check in, without the usual hassle of a hotel check-in and just relax into our apartment for the week. With 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a huge living area and balcony and a full kitchen and laundry this was exactly the type of accomodation that suits families and business travellers alike.
With a full kitchen we were able to choose to eat in or out and were able to prepare lunches to take along with us on our day trips. We were on the 4th floor (we did book 8 months in advance and request a room on a higher floor so that we had a view) and the view and aspect were perfect. The other advantage is that when the kids were in either of the 2 pools were could keep an eye on them (didn't have to as both very competent swimmers, but it was nice that we could) and still call to them when it was time to come in.
Being close to everything meant that we walked nearly everywhere and could pop out for dinner when we wanted. With everything (Foxtel) set up - it meant that hubby and I could pop down the street for a drink in the evenings and know the kids were happy to watch their TV.
If I had to complain about anything it was that the 2nd bedroom lacked a chest of drawers for clothes in the wardrobe (that's really clutching at straws for something to complain about).
This was a beautiful and well appointed apartment and would recommend it to all our friends who travel extensively and will be booking into the Aquarius if we ever return to Cairns on holidays.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
cairnsaquarius1, General Manager at Cairns Aquarius, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Thank you Ris I for your lovely review.

Annette and I really do work very hard to ensure that guests enjoy their stay.

Like your self and the overwhelming majority of guests, we wholeheartedly agree that the "self check in" system on arrival, facilitates the quickest and most convenient way of getting straight to your apartment.

Knowing that you and your family enjoyed your stay is enormously rewarding for us and your review and feedback is much appreciated. A new set of draws has already been added to the cupboard in the guests bedroom.

Hopefully we will see you all back in the not too distant future.