“Clean Friendly and close to it all”

Reef Gateway Apartments
Ranked #53 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Lovely managers, nice tidy two bed unit.
Stayed here a few months ago on business and was happy enough to bring the family back for a short holiday.
Has a nice BBQ/pool area and gardens and is an easy walk down the esplanade to the tour boats, public swimming pool, cafe's and restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank BruceWamberal

Reviewed 6 December 2010

I have stayed in many self-catering accommodation all over the world with my young family and have never had an experience like it! Firstly they tried to overcharge on the accommodation I booked over the internet, when we got there the manager got us to sign some piece of paper that allows him to charge for excess cleaning if required. When we departed the accom we left the apartment spotless in better condition than when we arrived. The manager mentioned something about a dirty BBQ (that was already dirty when we arrived). I offered to go back and clean it just to be polite, but he declined and said not to worry that he would not charge anything. Then he decided to charge an extra $55.00 on my credit card for excess cleaning without my consent. BE CAREFUL - I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank sonya_browne
ReefGatewayApts, Manager at Reef Gateway Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

It's a shame peole like this can have such a large and ongoing impact on people and places like ours. The "piece of paper" Ms Browne mentioned was in fact the "Guest Registration Form" that each and every Guest receives on arrival and if Ms Browne has travelled all over the world I'm sure she would have completed one of these type of forms in every place she stayed; they are nothing new. As with all self-catering accommodation it is the responsibility of the Guest to at least make an attempt to be clean and tidy while in the apartment as well on departure. When you have impressional children with you it really is a matter of teaching them to be clean and hygenic but this wasn't the case here. At departure Ms Browne requested a late check-out which I agreed to for an hour as we had more Guests arriving for the same apartment, but she took over 2 hours which immediately put us behind in our cleaning schedule. I assumed Ms Browne was cleaning up after herself andf family but I was completely wrong. I cannot agree with Ms Browne's description of the condition of the apartment when they departed as it took us more than double the cleaning time to service and the free balcony BBQ in question had to be removed from the apartment, dismantled and took 3 hours to clean. Ms Brown made a formal complaint to our Licensing & Registration body, the Office of Fair Trading, and after looking at my response along with the pictures I took of the mess they explained I was well within my rights to make the extra charge and it was actually with Ms Browne's consent. It really is not difficult to clean up spilt food as it occurs instead of trampling it further throughout the apartment or leaving it behind for us to handle. The extra cleaning charge was very lenient compared to the time and money spent cleaning the apartment to be ready for the next Guest. Ms Browne's comments do not really fit in with the previous comments since my wife and I took over the business so I can only let you the consumer decide.

Reviewed 3 September 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights in late August with my elderly mother, brother and friend. The new managers, Garrie and Angie could not have been more helpful, friendly and kind. They really went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. They are certainly very good at their jobs and keep the grounds very lushious and neat and the apartments well maintained. The apartments are small (with one bathroom) and little storage but quite clean and fresh. They are quite central as well, right opposite the hospital and only a street away from the Esplanade. The whole place has a nice tropical vibe to it. Re negatives, there aren't many. As I say the apartments are quite small and have very little storage room in the kitchen or the bedrooms. There is only one bathroom (although it is a good one). The complex attracts families with kids (although we were close to the pool and this was not an issue). There were no fans in the bedrooms (but lots of doors and windows for fresh air). All up, I would certainly recommend these apartments. I think they are pretty much on the money as well, being neither pricey or overly great value. We were very happy with our experience here and congratulate the new managers for a great job.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank tiana07
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We stayed at Reef Gateway early 2010 with our 2 kids. We found the stay very enjoyable, with very clean apartments, great pool, great managers & the location was close enough that it wasn't a hassle getting into town.
Our stay was enjoyable enough that we are staying again early august, without the kids this time.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Firstime47
Reviewed 17 April 2010

These apartments have been recently renovated and are modern and clean. The managers are friendly and very helpful. Angie and Garrie have recently taken over management and are putting in a big effort to bring the apartments up to a better standard than the previous team. They were happy to help organise tours, cars and give advice. It was a great location for our family. Quiet, air conditioned and comfortable rooms. About a 15 minute walk into the restaurant area. A nice stroll along the esplanade after a meal.

I checked trip advisor before I booked and then booked anyway. I am glad I did. The previous negative reviews were outdated and no longer relevant to the current management and amenities.

This was great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GABgong
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Thankfully I wasn't aware of the other reviews and walked in off the street with an open mind.

The 2 bedroom apartment that I got with my wife was spacious, clean and inviting. We liked the location and amenities (pool, BBQ, free Sat TV, laundry, etc.) so much we extended our stay by 3 days.

It's a 5 min walk to the excellent Bayleaf restaurant. 15 min into town but far enough from the noisy and often drunk teenage crowd that populate the centre.

I'd recommend this for honeymooners and families or thirtysomethings travelling with friends who don't need their parents to pickup after them.

Backpackers should avoid this place if they want bare essentials at a minimum price.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OrangeDr
gazang63, Manager at Reef Gateway Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2010

Thank you for your positive response. Although we were not Manging the complex during your visit we do appreciate the time you took to write a review. There have been many visible changes since your visit, the rooms are cleaner and the grounds tidyier and we keep it that way. Please come again.

Reviewed 20 July 2008

Apparently, this is some kind of co-op arrangement that is fairly common in Australia. Each apartment is individually owned and the on site managers get their income from caretaking and from commission on booking tours or arranging taxi services. The apartments themselves are ideal, but the problem is the cleanliness. Housekeeping is supposed to be done every 7 days with the tenants cleaning it during their term of stay. The first apartment alloted us was filthy. We spent the first half hour of our arrival cleaning up and after accumulating a large pile of dirt from the floor, discovered that the washing machine was too filthy to use. They moved us after we complained, to a larger & cleaner( although certainly not spotless) apartment. So we give them a ten for complying with our request. One has to wonder though, if this had of been in the July peak season instead of December, what would have happened if there were no vacant apartments available ?

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Ontario_CanadaAlex
Patricia49, Manager at Reef Gateway Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2008

We are disappointed with the recent reviews.
We do know who these guests are and are disappointed that they did not approach us direct that we could address any problems.

On our introductory letter on arrival and also in our Compendiums we request guests approach us if they find anything unsatisfactory.

We find that for each person who is unsatisfied we have over a hundred who love our complex, unfortunately they don't write reviews, even when they promise to, we understand they just get involved with their normal lives and believe that because they are happy everyone is also..
Many who come back each year from as far away as far away as England and Papua New Guinea..

We also have a Guests Comments Book which has reviews and cards and letters of thanks which is present on the Reception Desk to viewing.

For each of the last three complaints there is a "other side" which you are not aware of.

We have had embassadorial staff from Japan, China and England, Government ministers, japanese, american and british high profile businessmen stay with us some several times.

Sometimes they don't want to stay in Hotels, just want the space and peace of an apartment complex.

We are far from perfect and have staffing difficulties just like every business, but firmly beleive that in a fair deal.