“Great Place for Young Family” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lakes Cairns Resort

The Lakes Cairns Resort
Ranked #36 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great Place for Young Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

We checked in for a 3 nights stay in April, we found that it really suited our needs with a young daughter 18 months old.

The pools and facilities were great for us to come back to after a day of exploring.

The unit itself was clean and up to date really livable.

High recommend

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

Just to start with - excellent service and staff always ready to help. the room we stayed in was a 2 bedroom overlooking one of the three resort pools on the second floor. The room has all the comforts of home. Location wise not too far from the center just a 10 min ride in a taxi. Convenience store in located just 5 mins behind the resort. All the tours can be arranged from the resort itself, but may be its better to book them from cairns marina if you want a better price. swimming pools are just the best. and they all have bbq's next to them.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank swapy
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

We arrived in Cairns and Cycolne Yasi hit after three days of our arrival.
There was no information given out to hotel guests and our rooms were not checked by staff to see if everything was ok ...before the cyclone hit or after. As we had arrived from Europe, we were not expecting this. The rest of the hotel guests tried to find out as much information as was possible - but once the storm hit we had no electricity so no news access or internet access - telephone lines we few and far between. The hotel staff was limited and not very helpful at all. Due to the airport closing, we had to stay another night without power. I realise this is not the hotels fault but surely generators (which there was only one for a very limited expensive kitchen menu) should be in place for this kind of emergency, which l understand ---- is a regular cyclone Queensland thing in February !! Wish I had known that before I had flown in Cairns. Wouldnt have bothered going.....

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank travelexpert11
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

I had a fantastic time, the staff were really helpful, the apartment was nice, it wasn't too noisy from the planes, I loved the fact i wasn't in the heart of Cairns, I preferred The Lakes style. The Lakes was a really beautiful place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't be too fussy
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

This resort has lovely grounds with great facilities including numerous pools and BBQ areas scattered around.... however, there is a few points that need to be raised. First - the apartments are not CLEAN. The floors clearly don't get properly mopped regularly and nothing is dusted (there was about a 1 CM thick coating of dust in my room on the plastic plant arrangement in the bathroom). Second is the location is far from ideal, you really need a car to get anywhere of any interest at all.... if you don't have one then stay elsewhere, preferably close to the esplanade in Cairns.

Thirdly, I think 10AM checkout times are far too early. I like to be able to have a sleep in when on holiday and I don't want to have to be waking up early to check out. A 12 noon checkout would be ideal. What really made me quite angry is that if you want to extend your checkout time by just ONE HOUR, they want to charge you $20 for each hour. Quite outrageous since the hotel was far from full, in fact there was very few guests at all from what I could tell. Most decent hotels I have stayed in are quite happy to give you that extra 1 or 2 hours at no charge and it is something you are thankful for and then would make you return to the hotel. I will not be coming back due to this.

Lastly, the resort is situated at the end of the runway of Cairns airport so expect regular jet aircraft flying past and causing quite a bit of noise.

Room Tip: Ground floor as some rooms have no lift
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Aussie_Flyer_dotnet
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

THE GOOD...
We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the second floor with the lanai facing the pool. The apartment was ok but the highlight were the swimming pools! If you have kids then they would love the 4 different pools here. It was hard to get them out of the water during our entire stay. The resort is a good base for those with a car and wanting to try the different activities in Cairns. It's only 5 mins drive to airport, 7 mins to the city centre where all boats to the reefs depart from and because it's in Cairns North it's a closer drive to the lightrail/train station to Kuranda as well as the northern beaches.

THE BAD...
The apartment was very dusty, especially with the pine furniture and plastic plants, all gathering up dust. I can understand that maybe we didn't pay extra(?) for room servicing/cleaning, but to not even be asked for extra amenities such as shampoo and toilet paper(!) when we were staying for 7 nights was ridiculous. Service does leave something to be desired. Also, I called a week ahead for a massage at Red Salon & Spa and when I showed up at the designated time they didn't have my booking! They had my details in the system which proved that I did ring... I had to come back an hour and a bit later to get my massage.

AND THE UGLY
The invasion of the ants!!! Bull ants invaded our toilet every evening and throughout the night which scared me and my kids from going to the toilet at any great length! There were also little ants running wild throughout the apartment despite our ensuring the apartment is cleaned after every single meal or snack.

Overall, I would recommend; the kids had a great time. Would I rate this a 4.5 star as they claim? If service is improved then yes, but without it it's in the low side of 4 star.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

Stayed at the lakes for 4 nights in a two bedroom apartment. Rooms are good and set out well. The outdoor balcony was I highlight and we spent most of our time there. Service on check in wasn't the greatest and the buffet is to be avoided, plenty of places outside of the hotel to have a meal for the same price. Would happily stay again

• Stayed November 2010