“Shame its gone downhill”

The Lakes Cairns Resort
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Shame its gone downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I chose the Lakes in 2003 to have all our wedding guests stay in. We also had our function at the restaurant there (which no longer exists and has been changed into a waiting area). In 2003, we loved the resort and the food at Lago Restaurant was amazing.
However, on our return in Jan 2011 we were dissapointed to find the restaurant gone and the rooms which were once lovely looking old and uninviting.

The service wasn't much better. We had to constantly call to get our room cleaned (we paid for daily service) and when they did eventually come they did a terrible (and incredibly fast) job of it.

It really was very disappointing to see what was once a lovely resort become so budgety. It is true that the grounds and pools are still lovely, however it appears that they have had to redirect the resort by marketing to the budget traveller hence getting rid of the lovely restaurant and not bothering to update the room décor.

There are much nicer resorts of similar price to stay in around Cairns. The only way I would reconsider returning is if the resort undergoes a makeover.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank travelh0lic
TheLakesManagement, Manager at The Lakes Cairns Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for posting your feedback. We would like to discuss your comments further, particularly the daily cleaning aspects. If you could please send an email to sales@visionhotelsandresorts.com with your name and travel dates, we will look in to this issue.

Although the resort is now well established and undergone a number of changes recently, it is disappointing to hear your stay was not up to our normal standards. Although Lagos has been converted in to a tour desk and arrival/departure lounge, we do still have Rambutan Restaurant on site to cater to our guests.

Vision Hotels & Resorts Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Palmerston North, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Nice well kept property. Apartments are well kept and spacious with everything you need.
Lovely manicured grounds and pool areas. Very safe and secure
Restaurant is average, bar is small but okay.
The only thing that ruins this resort is the close location to the airport and the planes taking off at 5.45 am and late at night are horrendously noisy. Several times during the day as well -this is not so much an issue, but the early morning ones ....
Other than that, a nice place to stay.

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for providing feedback and letting us know that you largely enjoyed your stay.

We are indeed located close to the airport, and do, depending on the current flight path, experience some aircarft noise. This is the case for much of North Cairns, and out of our control, however, most travellers find the relative close proximity to the airport a bonus.

We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Vision Hotels & Resorts Management Team
Oxford, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

This was the first resort that I was supposed to stay at. Being from the USA, I had never travelled overseas before and after a long flight, I just wanted to get to a nice hotel. When I saw the front gates, I thought that this was going to be a wonderful hotel. The pools looked amazing, and having the restaurant right next to my apartment building was really nice. I stayed in the Moondarra building on the third floor with two other people. When we got in, I automatically noticed a few things. The first was that I was slightly dissapointed that we didn't have an outdoor patio, but that wasn't a huge problem. What was an issue is that even after two days of staying there, I could not find the kitchen lights! This was a problem that was somewhat managable, but was an inconvienience. There was a closed off indoor patio with no view of the outside, which was set up pretty nicely. However, you could not shut the doors without someone getting locked in there! That was a small letdown. I did not like that the living room's light switch was put behind a fake tree, because it took me a day to figure that one out and I would've never expected to look behind the ornamental piece. Lastly, the shower curtain was in the washer? That really confused me because I expect a shower curtain to be in a bathroom at least. We didn't find it until the last day, which was annoying and was a major issue that didn't happen to any of my friends who were staying at the same hotel. The breakfast at the hotel was great, and the pool was set up very well. However, I wish that the accomodations for my first resort were better than the website showed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RyanTravels24
NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

The rooms were excellent, definitely recommend. the pool, was gorgeous and all the staff were really friendly, easy check in and out. And receptionists were very friendly and very helpful with fun things to do in cairns.

We had a really enjoyable time here

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank helen_NSW
Cookstown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

This was 4th stop of 5 on honeymoon & we spent 4 nights here. A little bit out of town but reception called a taxi plus a shuttle bus stopped a few times throughout the day was was cheaper than taxi & this was an all day pass. Again apartment which was beautiful, spacious, huge jacuzzi bath!!! The only minor complaint would have been that our apartment block did not have an elevator which was a bit strenuous carrying our suitcases up. Thankfully we were only 2 floors up. Snorkling on the great barrier reef was amazing & a must. We also went on the cape tribulation rainforest & a crocodile park tour. Both expensive but well worth it. We got a train up through the rain forest with spectacular views, spent time around the village then a skyline back down through the rainforest. During the snorkling we got pictures taken with a turtle. Cairns was a little more spread out but lots to do & best stop in australia we had!! the lakes highly recommended

Room Tip: Ground floor as no lifts!!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
TheLakesManagement, Manager at The Lakes Cairns Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Thank you for providing feedback on The Lakes, and we are glad you enjoyed your overall stay.

Indeed we do only have 1 building that has an elevator, and anyone with a disability should request a ground floor. Outside of this Front Office can assist with bags if required. The majority of the buildings are three floors so not too many stairs.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

The Lakes Cairns Management Team
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Our party was a couple, 2 older teens and a baby. The hotel arranged for a cot, cot bedding and a highchair in our 2 bed apartment at no extra cost which was helpful.

There is noise from the airport (only 3km away) but no noise at all from streets so it probably balances out. I am a light sleeper and it wasn't too bad because it's not a busy airport.

The resort is a bit out of the way but we found it perfectly fine to walk into Cairns along the Esplanade which starts just 3 minutes out of the resort grounds. And on the other side of the resort is the Botanical Gardens which is lovely but beware of the mosquitoes. I was eaten alive!!! Only there though, everywhere else was fine.

The Esplanade takes you along a lovely seaside walk into the Cairns restaurant/market strip. It takes about 30 minutes by foot from the resort or a few minutes by car (taxis were about $12 one way). Walking was great, I could eat and drink all I wanted and I still lost weight lol.

The resort has several pools which were too cold at this time of year but it wasn't a big deal as we spent most of the time doing other things. I'm sure that for most of the year the pools are a lovely way to cool off. A lot of Europeans were using them anyway but we've gotten spoilt living in Perth with a solar heated pool.

The apartment was clean and spacious without a lot of excess furniture for the baby to get hurt on or ruin which was nice. They are definitely designed with families in mind. THe TV was too old to be able to plug our Playstation which isn't a big deal but it's worth noting if you have teenage boys.

The only thing I would not recommend is eating in the resort restaurant as it's honestly awful. Hotel restaurants are always overpriced but the one dinner we ate there was one of the most tasteless I've ever had and the service was awful.

There are several small stores and take away places just around the corner (fish/chips, pizza, pasta, subway, bottlestore, organic supermarket, post office, chemist, bakeries). But there isn't a big supermarket close by - you have to go into Cairns for that which we did and came back by taxi. We usually had lunch out and then had take away for dinner. The pizza place is quite good, so is the fish and chips place.

I am already planning my trip next July and would definitely consider staying here again. It was a great week.

1 Thank teresha
Thank you for your response, and providing a wealth of info on the property and its location. We are are indeed on the northern fringe of the CBD, halfway between city and airport. This does, however provide us more room to spread, hence the very large rooms.

Im a little concerned re your comments on Rambutan restaurant. Would you please be able to send through any specific examples of the issues you experienced to sales@visionhotelsandresorts.com so that I can address these direct.

The Lakes Cairns Management Team
Smithton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Stayed here for a week and had no hassles what so ever. The staff were efficient and quite friendly, even when I asked to borrow a tool that I had left at home! We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment for the 4 of us. It suited us perfectly and the facilities such as full kitchen and private laundry are very handy.
The groundsmen went out of their way to give us lots (lots!) of good local advice and were extremely friendly.
We have already booked in for a 10 night stay next June so needless to say, definately worth staying at The Lakes!

1 Thank IronmanFluff