“Nice grounds and nicely set out but rooms are unclean and staff not really very helpful.”

The Lakes Cairns Resort
Ranked #40 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We are a family of five and after being on planes and travelling all day from Adelaide we were thankful to have finally arrived. The man who served us in the office was quite helpful in explaining how everything worked but that was where the help stopped! My children are 3,6 and 8 and there was NO offer of help in getting all our luggage to our block and up the stairs to our apartment. We were simply given a map and sent off on our way in the dark.
The 2 bedroom apartment was quite spacious and well set out with all the appliances you would expect in an apartment however, I was horrified to find that it wasn't very clean - particularly the bathroom - long black (some short!) hairs everywhere. Room was generally quite dusty and staff obvioulsy just sweep around furniture (if at all).
The room was serviced every day but the quality of the service was dependant on the staff member and/or their mood. e.g. one day we came back to find room very well cleaned and dishes that we had left in the sink had been packed in the dishwasher and cleaned. On another day we were about to go out at 9.30am when two cleaning staff knocked on our door to clean the room. I explained to them we were about to go out and could they come back in half an hour (I didn't think this was unreasonable given the time). When we came back that day the room really hadn't been cleaned, beds were simply made and the bin was emptied however the RUBBISH BAG FULL OF RUBBISH WAS LEFT SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR DINING TABLE!!!
The resort is 3 or 4 kms from central Cairns - not really an issue if you have a car (something we didn't have). We had to rely on taxi's or the shuttle bus (business hours only). Taxi fares cost about $20 either way and the shuttle bus (which should be free) was about $22 for our family of five, so it made travelling into town quite an expensive exercise everyday.
We ate in the resort restaurant only the once and wish we hadn't have bothered. We chose to eat their on our first night (having done the whole travel all day, navigate our way in the dark, lug suitcases up stairs, greeted by the dirty room, etc...) We arrived there at around 7pm. Stood at the desk at the entrance for about five minutes while the sour faced staff walked around us and ignored us (no - there was no line-up either). After we were eventually seated it took a good 20 mins for a staff member to take our order. ONE WHOLE HOUR LATER we still hadn't eaten - this is close to 8.30pm and my six year old daughter (who ordered a standard kids meal of fish and chips) was reduced to tears. When my $24 dollar steak finally arrived it had quite obviously been sitting uder a warmer for quite sometime - it had dried out and was only luke warm. I understand that it's usual practice to serve everyone's meals at once but surely a simple kids meal can be served to small children before the adults. This was our first night in this resort and I must admit it left me with a feeling of disappointment about this resort before our holiday had even really started.
The restaurant prices are quite pricely, particularly given the poor service. And to top it off, if you want to get food to take back to your room you can expect to pay the same restaurant price. I highly recommend buying your own food from a supermarket or go to one of the multitude of restaurants in the city centre (I HIGHLY recommend Adelfia, 16 Aplin Street Cairns - a greek restaurant, superb food, very family friendly and great service.)
The resort grounds are kept nice and tidy. The pool areas look lovely. However, I could barely stand to put my foot in the water it was so cold (let alone swim in it). It really was freezing!
We paid for a deluxe apartment but in no way received a deluxe service. I certainly wouldn't fork our that amount of money again to stay in this resort. It really wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mouseyfred
TheLakesManagement, Manager at The Lakes Cairns Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. I would like to discuss your service issues in further detail. If you wish to do this could you please send an email to sales@visionhotelsandresorts.com with your preferred contact details.

The Lakes Cairns Management Team

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Don't bother staying here. I have an agressive from of Arthritis and so was careful to ring this place and clearly state my needs. They do have a note of this on their file, and a note that I needed a wheelchair accessible room with access to the pool with no stairs. BUT they choose to ignore this and put us in a ground floor room (great) that is almost totally inaccessible (bad). The pavements and stairs everywhere make this place a nightmare for anyone with mobility issues. The ramp to the bistro is good, but the access door is locked and I don't think the very unhelpful staff will assist there. The pools are unaccessible to me because of stairs everywhere. The bathroom is unaccessible and I have no idea how I am suposed to clean myself. No use complaining to the admin staff who showed no interest at all. If that isn't bad enough the noise from the airport is unbelievable, and when stops noise from the bar and noisy guests kicks in. This was our first family holiday for 15 years and we have been robbed. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than stay here a minute longer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MelbourneQuilter

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for posting your comments on your recent stay. We are disappointed that on this occasion we were not able to meet your requirements. We do expect that we are able to provide all our guests with a positive experience during their stay, and are disappointed when we cannot deliver this.

I do understand that our Resort Manager contacted you to try and assist where possible. Unfortunately, when it became clear of your circumstances, and that we were unable to fully assist, we certainly waived any fees for leaving early to find more suitable accommodation.

As a result of your feedback we are conducting further training with our Reservations staff to ensure that we clearly explain our facilities to all guests. We will also be reviewing the content that is provided to our external suppliers to ensure the information they are providing is correct.

If you wish to discuss your stay further please email sales@visionhotelsandresorts.com

The Lakes Cairns Management Team

Reviewed 31 July 2011

We are a group of local friends who like to take a night or two away every couple of months. The Lakes is considerably out of town so it appeals to those wanting a quieter time of it. The entrance, grounds and pools are lovely (though the one closest to us was closed due to broken glass). Unfortunately our room was rather smelly and quiet unbearable. When we complained about it they sent someone down with a room spray. We also had an air conditioner which didn't work but they quickly fixed that which was great. In all the apartment had everything we needed but it was rather tired and dated. We expected a little more so were disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the little river
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank fionajustin
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I chose the Lakes in 2003 to have all our wedding guests stay in. We also had our function at the restaurant there (which no longer exists and has been changed into a waiting area). In 2003, we loved the resort and the food at Lago Restaurant was amazing.
However, on our return in Jan 2011 we were dissapointed to find the restaurant gone and the rooms which were once lovely looking old and uninviting.

The service wasn't much better. We had to constantly call to get our room cleaned (we paid for daily service) and when they did eventually come they did a terrible (and incredibly fast) job of it.

It really was very disappointing to see what was once a lovely resort become so budgety. It is true that the grounds and pools are still lovely, however it appears that they have had to redirect the resort by marketing to the budget traveller hence getting rid of the lovely restaurant and not bothering to update the room décor.

There are much nicer resorts of similar price to stay in around Cairns. The only way I would reconsider returning is if the resort undergoes a makeover.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank travelh0lic
TheLakesManagement, Manager at The Lakes Cairns Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for posting your feedback. We would like to discuss your comments further, particularly the daily cleaning aspects. If you could please send an email to sales@visionhotelsandresorts.com with your name and travel dates, we will look in to this issue.

Although the resort is now well established and undergone a number of changes recently, it is disappointing to hear your stay was not up to our normal standards. Although Lagos has been converted in to a tour desk and arrival/departure lounge, we do still have Rambutan Restaurant on site to cater to our guests.

Vision Hotels & Resorts Management Team

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Nice well kept property. Apartments are well kept and spacious with everything you need.
Lovely manicured grounds and pool areas. Very safe and secure
Restaurant is average, bar is small but okay.
The only thing that ruins this resort is the close location to the airport and the planes taking off at 5.45 am and late at night are horrendously noisy. Several times during the day as well -this is not so much an issue, but the early morning ones ....
Other than that, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for providing feedback and letting us know that you largely enjoyed your stay.

We are indeed located close to the airport, and do, depending on the current flight path, experience some aircarft noise. This is the case for much of North Cairns, and out of our control, however, most travellers find the relative close proximity to the airport a bonus.

We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Vision Hotels & Resorts Management Team

Reviewed 26 July 2011

This was the first resort that I was supposed to stay at. Being from the USA, I had never travelled overseas before and after a long flight, I just wanted to get to a nice hotel. When I saw the front gates, I thought that this was going to be a wonderful hotel. The pools looked amazing, and having the restaurant right next to my apartment building was really nice. I stayed in the Moondarra building on the third floor with two other people. When we got in, I automatically noticed a few things. The first was that I was slightly dissapointed that we didn't have an outdoor patio, but that wasn't a huge problem. What was an issue is that even after two days of staying there, I could not find the kitchen lights! This was a problem that was somewhat managable, but was an inconvienience. There was a closed off indoor patio with no view of the outside, which was set up pretty nicely. However, you could not shut the doors without someone getting locked in there! That was a small letdown. I did not like that the living room's light switch was put behind a fake tree, because it took me a day to figure that one out and I would've never expected to look behind the ornamental piece. Lastly, the shower curtain was in the washer? That really confused me because I expect a shower curtain to be in a bathroom at least. We didn't find it until the last day, which was annoying and was a major issue that didn't happen to any of my friends who were staying at the same hotel. The breakfast at the hotel was great, and the pool was set up very well. However, I wish that the accomodations for my first resort were better than the website showed.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank RyanTravels24
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The rooms were excellent, definitely recommend. the pool, was gorgeous and all the staff were really friendly, easy check in and out. And receptionists were very friendly and very helpful with fun things to do in cairns.

We had a really enjoyable time here

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple