“Had a great experience”

The Lakes Cairns Resort
Ranked #40 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Friendly staff, clean room and lovely pool areas. Had a great experience. Thank you.

Room Tip: views from the upper floors are lovely
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 December 2011

I hadn't had a break for years so I really needed to unwind. Even though I was holidaying with my two children the relaxed atmosphere at The Lakes meant I could just kick back and enjoy. The pools were great and we made good use of the BBQs. The rooms had everything we needed and Reception staff were very attentive. I'm not one for eating out much so I was very impressed with the kitchen facilities in our room. Being so close to the city was another big plus.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Don't recommend if you want to have good customer service, we were given a shocking room, so for the first time ever (and we travel a lot) we asked to change rooms, well you would have thought I had committed a serious crime, they took 5.5hrs to decide if they could, and after wasting half of our first day, and 2 phone calls from me they finally made a decision, they gave us a ground floor room with a view of a concrete wall?! with two broken air con units when every day was 34 degrees! We had stayed here 6yrs ago and loved it, but I thought they would improve with time but they rude and disinterested, as I went to leave I was hoping they would ask us how the stay was, but 'No' nothing! Just while we were checking out the duty manager walked into the office behind the lady checking us out, left the door open, proceeded to surf the internet on the sports pages and start picking his nose in full view, that really just summed up the entire experience.

Room Tip: There are about 4 pools here, and they are open from 6am to 10pm, so I suggest you don't get a r...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kirsty C
Reviewed 4 December 2011

This was my first holiday in over 10 years! and I have never been so disgused and upset with the service and the hotel mangement.

Firstly, I was not on the list of arrivals but the Coral Reef Coach driver was willing to take me into town when I showed him my itinerary. Following this I spoke with the gentlemen at the front desk, who stated the resort is not responsible for arrivals only departures. Although the packaged I booked included transfers to and from!

Secondly, I approached the front desk three days into my stay to discuss the buffet breakfast (upon check in I was provide with a menu and vouchers). The gentleman at the desk told me he would get the Manager to contact me. This never happened, so the following morning I followed up again with the front desk (same gentleman) and returned the breakfast vouchers for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I was asked to wait wait as the Manager was just outside, he returned only to tell me she was now in a meeting.

Thirdly, the weekly service never occurred. That I had requested and again was included in the 'package'

Upon advising the hotel magnement early in my stay and emailing them when I returned, I received a responded via the hotel manager who would not see me and I found her email to be rude, unprofessional and lacking any responsibility. I have since contacted management further up and approx 1 month later still waiting for a response!!!!!

In relation to the first issue of a car transfer, I find it rare that there is no double checking/following up process in place to ensure these situations do not happen. Following this, the so called breakfast vouchers provided to me upon checkin, knowing full well that hotel was unable to provide the buffet breakfast as they have now outsourced and did not advise holiday makers, but still happy to take customer’s money in hope they will put up with a ‘Please choose from 1 of the following options:’ menu is disrespectful and misleading to holidays makers staying at this shall I say ‘so called resort’. And finally the weekly service which was advised in the package if you stay 7 nights you will receive. I find this to be a bit of a joke considering I asked to have a service mid-stay and was advised this would be assured. I can’t understand why anyone would be willing to pay for a ‘weekly service’ at the end of their stay! It seems a bit redundant and another scheme the hotel is willing to take holiday makers for a ride.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank MissV121
Reviewed 29 November 2011

4.5 stars more like 3. The garden areas and pools are very inviting. The accomidation is tired and run down. Stoves that don't work, no bread board, air-con that smells, beds that are tired. All the rooms were kind of greasy like they had been wiped down not actualy cleaned. Given that you spend most of your time outside around the pool or away it is ok but at best 3 stars I feel. Staff attituded is variable depending on who you get from great to talk to the hand. We had 2 units in 2 different complex's but we came to the same conclusion.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the poolside for a good sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Rick S
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed for one week, and it was in general amiable. The location is quite a while from town, around 50 minutes walk - a timetabled shuttle operates but it only runs until 1700, and you have to pay each time.

Initially we were placed in a room with faulty air-con, and it was only after complaining 3 times (and sleeping 3 nights in it) that we got another room. Apparently maintenance is "subcontracted", and hence it was outside their control. Moral of the story - Keep bringing up the problem or it will just be ignored.

Some reception staff, on the other hand, were very helpful - A special mention to Bryony and Emma for recommending awesome tours for us! Also, we requested a ground floor room based on previous reviews the day before our arrival. Although a room was already allocated, they were able to change it no problems.

Would give it a four and a half, if it weren't for the sleepy service from maintenance. Wouldn't recommend it if you hate being away from town.

Room Tip: Most buildings don't have lifts - ask for ground floor or a porter to carry your luggage.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sam2043
Reviewed 27 November 2011

A colleague and I stayed at this 'resort' for a week in November 2011 on a working trip. There is no lift, so we were on the 3rd floor and had to carry our bags up 3 flights of stairs. The temperature was high 30's and the air-conditioning in the lounge room did not work. We called reception, who came and told us it was working.... we called everyday and they really did not care, did not move us and told us repeatedly that it was working. The towel rack fell off the wall, the toilet did not flush correctly, some schoolies had stayed the week before so they had turned off the gas, and not turned it back on so we could not cook ... the TV remote did not work. When we checked out, they did not even say sorry, try to explain or take any responsibility for the fact it would have been 38-40 in our room overnight.

I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011