“The Night From Hell !!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lakes Cairns Resort

The Lakes Cairns Resort
Ranked #36 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
cairns aust
“The Night From Hell !!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

We are locals and have often stayed at the lakes especially when our children we younger. The self contained units were always good value and clean with modern facilities. However! This last stay at the Lakes Cairns Resort couldn't even come close to the previous stays we have encountered. And has left us with feeling of utter DISGUST!

My father in law was in hospital, and as we live almost one and a half hours drive from Cairns we thought it best that we stay down the night in a self contained unit. So I could wash his clothes and bring him fresh ones in the morning. The reason we chose the Lakes was so that we could relax that evening, do the washing in our own room and not have to go down to a laundry on a different level or anywhere else!

We checked in early evening, and when to our apartment. Only to find that the room was not to our satisfaction. The beds were not as we had requested, but more importantly the air conditioner was broken. I called reception immediately and asked for our room to be changed. Which was done so reluctantly. So were moved to another room in a different block of apartments....... All seem good until we decided to do the washing. I put the wash load on no problem. But suddenly the washing machine began to chime a warning sound. It seemed that the water pump on the washing machine was broken. Once again I called Reception. To be told that their maintenance guy wouldn't be able to fix it till the next morning at 10am when he was back on duty. I explained that this simply would not do as we would be checking out early in the morning, and a resolution needed to be found immediately. It was then that my husband was escorted to another block of buildings to use their washing machine to complete the spin cycle for our washing. My husband then returned with the wet clothing to dry them in our room with our laundry dryer only to discover that it too was faulty!!! Thankfully my husband managed to get the dryer to function with a little persuasion.

In the morning upon checking out I express my utter disgust and frustration of the nights events, and requested to be compensated for the continual inconveniences. I was told there was nothing that could be done. And Perhaps on my next stay there they could do something about it.

Let me assure you there will NEVER EVER BE A NEXT TIME! This would be the last place I would recommend to any one to stay! Staff, Management and Body Corp, you better get your act together real fast! Because just as good service/experience news spread quickly, Bad service/experience spreads faster!

It seems that poor maintenance or lack of, is the sad result of what used to be a lovely place to stay. :(

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank tink07_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I first booked this accommodation then read the reviews. I admit I was really worried. But I shouldn't have been. We had a 3 bedroom apartment and it was fantastic. Our unit block had a lift. Our balcony overlooked the swimming pool, it was clean and there were no bed bugs. We were there for 10 days and it was serviced twice, which was unexpected. The beds and towels were changed. They emptied the bins and did the dishes. Our flight was delayed by 9 hours so didn't arrive til about 10.30pm. Security was there to let us in at that time and there were no issues. We were in unit 1524 and would highly recommend. Staff were really nice.

Room Tip: Ask for 3 bedroom number 1524
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen T
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We booked this over the internet, and found it looked good and was reasonably priced. It is a 40 minute walk out of the city centre, so car hire is a good idea - it was handy that a reasonably priced car hire company had a freephone number in the foyer and they were quick to provide a car. There were free parking spaces with fob.

We found the accommodation modern and clean and particularly liked the small spa bath. There were several pools outside (unheated, but that's not so much an issue in a tropical climate). There is good space for barbeques beside these.

Wifi was purchased through a voucher.

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom apartment without balcony - there are presumably other options for families.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Eastleigh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed as a family of 6 people - parents, 2 children, and grandparents in June for 10 nights.
We had Room 801 on the ground floor right buy a lovely pool. The apartment was a bit tired and smelled a bit musty when we first arrived.
The complex is made up of permanent residents and holiday lets and I believe some are newer than others. Undercover parking was useful but one resident was very impatient with other people when getting in and out of the garage.
The WI-fi was practically non-existent and although I purchased a $7 card for 3 hours I could not get online and even the receptionist tried for me and she was unable to connect me so I had my money back. I managed to get on for free twice during our stay (somehow) but this was only by sitting in the reception area where there were others doing the same thing as this was the only place where it was possible to connect.
The complex is out of town but this is not a problem as we had a hired car - there is also a shuttle bus.
Our main complaint is the bites that we obtained on our bodies. It was the adults that suffered quite badly. It is not mosquito 'season' and we didn't see any. We were told that there were a lot of very small insects and management could do nothing. We are fairly sure from the position of the bites that it was bed bugs obtained from the two double bedrooms especially as the children who were in the twin bedded room did not have them.The bites were on our elbows/arms on people who slept on their sides and across the backs of 2 people who slept on their backs.
I would suggest anyone booking this accommodation in the future to stay in the newer accommodation. We booked here as my son, who lives in Australia, has used it before and had no trouble so it may be that the apartment we had has not been used for some time.

Room Tip: Not Room 801 ! Try for newer accommodation
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Barbara M
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Found this resort on Wotif and after comparing facilities and prices online decided it looked like great value. Loved it! The rooms are comfortable and have that lovely tropical holiday feel to them. Love the atrium with shutters and outdoor dining table and chairs overlooking the pool. The gym is well serviced and easy to access.

Only wee disappointment is the shower in the bath, with a tired old shower curtain... and some of the kitchen cookware could really do with updating, but overall a very pleasant surprise and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Two bedroom apartment very spacious and comfortable.
1 Thank BizzyLizzyGoodThings
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

This was our final stop before heading home and what a way to unwind in
The pools was lovely to relax in at all times of the night or day
Rooms were spacious and well equipped for cooking in if need be
Friendly staff and informative
Only down side you have stairs to climb no lifts.
A little out from town but, close to the airport but, not noisy worth hiring a car recommend Eastcoast Car hire.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

We travelled around Australia back in 2007. i was young and this is one of the only hotels/villas I can remember, the villa was absolutely outstandingly perfect, we had our own conservatory. I loved this villa so much becasue it was so quiet and relaxing, it was perfect for kids and grown-ups with a lengths pool and a relaxing pool which was like a back garden to us as we had a ground floor villa for 6 of us. the only slight negative about this villa is that i wouldnt want to stay here for longer than a week with kids ans it can get quite boring. Definitely would love to go there again when im older.

Room Tip: ground floor villas are exeptional
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family