“Amazing value, and the PERFECT location!”
Review of The Bellview

The Bellview
Ranked #33 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing value, and the PERFECT location!”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

A couple of my friends and I (5 total) stayed here during our vacation in Cairns, and it was definitely a great decision!

First of all, the innkeepers who man the reception desk are quite nice, and very helpful. We did not need to book any tours through them, but they do offer discounts for tours if you need. They are easy to talk to, and gave very helpful hints on how to make the most out of our time there.

We stayed in a six-person motel (I believe; 4 twin beds and a queen), and each paid $30/night. The room was your standard "stuck in the past" type of motel, but the linens, bathroom, and general room was clean. There was an electric kettle, tea bags and instant coffee, and a refrigerator - very useful. The room did come with AC. One fan did not work, but that wasn't much of an issue. This is not luxurious living - but it is great value.

What sets this place over the top is location. Located right on the esplanade, this motel is in a prime spot. A 30 second walk straight out of the door places you at the water's edge. A 2 minute walk (maybe less!) places you at the Esplanade Lagoon, probably the most beautiful public pool I have ever laid eyes on! Finally, it is less than a 10-minute walk to the Reef Fleet Terminal, where you will most likely be leaving from if going on excursions out to the reef.

Bottom line: the Bellview is a great value at an unbeatable location. Staying here will be a great decision!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
BellviewCairns, Guest Relations Manager at The Bellview, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear the fan didn't work. We do our best to keep all the rooms in working order, and do appreciate it when guests let us know if anything is broken or in need of repair. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you back in Cairns again soon.

Cheers, Hannah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Went to the Bellview after escaping from the hostel on earth. And was pleasantly surprised! Nice little private rooms with all amenities. Not luxury but perfect on a budget. Location is superb. Close to everything you need. I would recommend the Bellview highly.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi James,

We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you in Cairns again soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I was pretty shocked at the state of the room I had booked. If I hadn't made the mistake of paying when I arrived (without inspecting the room) I would have walked away. I was in one of the quiet budget room down the back behind the pool area. The room was quite cramped, stuffy and in a poor state of repair. Most of the furnishings were chipped, torn, stained, or just generally unpleasant. It was like something out of a timewarp. The cupboards were lined with yellowed newspaper from 2010. The sheets and blankets were horrible, the bed was like an iron hospital stretcher with a thin mattress. No towels so I had to "borrow" a couple of bathmats from the bathroom. The saving grace was the afterthought of a decent floor-standing fan. Without that it would have been unbearable. The kitchen was in a bad state of repairs, not at all clean, and clearly pretty unsanitary. I wasn't comfortable cooking food in there.

Apologies for the rant, but I feel this needs to be aired. Maybe I expected too much for the price paid for the budget room (AU$39), but frankly, I'd be embarassed if I was the operator - there's not a lot to be proud of here. I've been a poor university student in the not so distant past and this was well below the living conditions I've experienced in student flats. I brought a couple of friends over to show them the room (after telling them that I was embarrased to show them the hovel that I'd been staying in). Moreover, that this sort of thing exists in a popular tourist destination like Cairns was quite an eye opener for me. The only pluses for me were the location, the price, and I must admit, the staff were pleasant and helpful. None of that could make up for the state of the place though! In a word: avoid.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank matt_j_harrop
Hi Matt,

We're sorry to hear you were disappointed with your room. Because the motel has one of the longest histories on the Cairns Esplanade, some of the facilities are quite dated, but we work very hard to ensure all of our rooms (including the community kitchen) are clean and functional.

If you ever do choose to stay with The Bellview again, please don't hesitate to have a chat to the staff at the front reception if you are unhappy with any aspect of the accommodation, and they will do what they can to make you feel more comfortable.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I was slightly discouraged initially by the grouchy receptionist and a bit disappointed on further exploration of the hostel. The tiny kitchen lacked many implements including bowls and there wasn't really a clean dry space to store my food. The room was alright although there were hundreds of tiny bugs crawling all over the floor and the blankets where somewhat threadbare. Later a friend found that the small bugs had invaded her bag and the food that she had to store in the room due to lack of food storage. I really would not recommend this place, it needs a bit of TLC before I would consider going back. Ah, the location was quite convenient though. However there are many hostels just in the same location, so perhaps try one of those

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kat G
Hi kittysnacks12,

We're sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. We do our best to keep the kitchen stocked with basic implements, however items do sometimes go missing. We appreciate guest feedback when this happens as it lets us know when things need replacing. We also supply shelving and a refrigerator for food storage.

As for the tiny bugs, they are most likely what locals refer to as "sugar ants" and an unfortunate fact of life in the Far North Queensland region. These ants are miniscule and completely harmless but, as any local will tell you, they do like to migrate indoors during the wet season and are very good at finding their way into food that is not kept tightly sealed (regardless of where it is stored). We recommend you store food inside a sealed plastic bag to avoid these little pests.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Had a great stay in one of the motel rooms with two of my girlfriends for about two weeks. We had a small colony of ants on our mirror the first night, but were given ant spray by the friendly reception staff, and the ants stayed away with a little spray every few days... Aside from that, the room was clean enough for the price, and we got housekeeping service with clean towels every day :). There is a nice little pool outside and some tables to sit at and read, have a cup of tea, etc... this is not the place to be if you want to partaaay, but we liked the quiet. The location is also great - a minute from shops, restaurants, Woolworths, free outdoor community pool, boardwalk by the water (great for runs!). The front desk staff (especially Eric and Craig) were very friendly and personable, and happy to book tours; it was truly cheaper to book tours through reception than online. Wifi is not included, so the cost of internet adds up quickly if you are facebook obsessed.

Room Tip: Air con makes the room a lot more comfortable! Not all rooms have A/C.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amber S
Hi Amber,

We're glad to hear you and your girlfriends enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on keeping the motel clean and quiet for all our guests, and we are fortunate to be able to provide guests with a discount on many of our tours. If you find yourself in Cairns again in the future, free wifi is now available through Cairns Community Wifi, accessible along the Esplanade from Aplin Street to Shields Street and along Pier Point Road, and also to customers of the McDonald's located approximately 150m from the motel.

Bristol
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The bellview is right on the Esplanade within a really short walk of literally everything you'll ever need in Cairns. It is by far the nicest, cleanest hostel I've stayed in yet. The rooms (even dorms) are spacious with two sinks and a decent bathroom/shower. comfy beds that aren't bunks and effective aircon! Despite being right in the centre of everything the hostel is quiet with a great social area and a well equipped kitchen - the staff are also really lovely and helpful! Fully reccomend it and it's great value too!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alice T
Hi Alice,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We moved here after escaping a different, dirty hostel and were very pleasantly surprised! For a start there were hot showers and working wall plugs! It's really clean, and our room was spacious enough for everyone to out their luggage somewhere out of the way. There was even a decent sized wardrobe! The kitchen was well equipped and also kept clean and tidy. Very impressed! And not that expensive either.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Lucy,

We're happy to hear you had a pleasant stay, and hope to see you again soon.