“If ur a backpacker..... It's perfect”

Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar
Ranked #35 of 83 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

Nomads is professionally run hostel and has all the bells and whistles that a top end backpacker accommodation. I think it's the cheapest accommodation in cairns, and because this is Australia well I guess that will easily help make your mind. The place is kept clean and the beds are good, plenty if space, activities and spinoff tours etc to satisfy your touristic needs. It's a little out of centre if the town but shuttle buses leaves regularly for free and it's like a 30 min walk, not the end if the world. The free "breakfast" is a nice addition (used lightly!). Staff are good ( shout out to megsi!) and there is a good atmosphere. Free wifi to customers would help a lot though.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I am disappointed at the staff at the front desk and the customer service. The staff are rude and seem to dislike helping customers. When I was checking in, I stood at the counter for 20 minutes because every customer had to be atteneded to, then given a tour of the place. When there are lots of people checking in, it would be best if 2 people were working the counter and 1 person shows the guests around.

The air conditioning is the other issue. All night, my air conditioner made a noise because it was linked with the others in the building and it wasn't even on. I had 2 sleepless nights and when I asked the staff about the issue, they told me to deal with it or check out. Other guests were having the same problem and the issue wasn't addressed for them either.

I paid for my 3 nights of accommodation and the staff member told me I owed my last nights accommodation. She made me give my drivers licence until the problem was solved. How does this solve the problem? I had to look through my bank details and confirm my payment to the staff member. There's no way 1 night could accidently have been miscalculated. I believe it was a deliberate attempt to get more money out of me.

I didn't end up staying my 3rd night even though I'd already paid for it. I was over it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hi - thanks for leaving us a review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I can assure you that we did not deliberately try to get more money out of you - we would much rather people stay for longer than leave early unhappy. We have a lot of students from overseas who work with us to learn the industry as part of their university courses back home and so we are often training staff on the front desk. I am sorry that you found the customer service to be lacking and I can only apologise for this and say that since you stayed we have many more hands on deck to speed up the check in process. We do love showing all guests around the hostel and to their rooms and will continue this practise for every guest. We hope that you enjoyed your time in Cairns and the rest of your travels.

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Hostel located about 15 minutes drive out of cairns town, which isn't a problem with the shuttle bus that is reliable and regular. Offer meals for 3 dollars (no meat, but still nice enough). Drinks aren't extortionate. Massive swimming pool and loads of activities each night. I found the staff friendly and helpful, but a little slow. Really worth being out of town to stay somewhere that is actually more like a hotel than a hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Kathryn H
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I only planned on staying at this hostel for 2 days, but I met a great bunch of people and ended up staying for over two months. The staff were great, very affordable, free breakfast and cheap dinners. You always see the bathrooms being cleaned, events on nearly every night, the events team can get you into clubs for free and sometimes get you a free shot. It's a bit out of town but there is a free shuttle bus nearly every hour from 10am to 3am. Great atmosphere, I would recommend it to anyone and can't wait until I can go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed at Nomads on a stop over on my way to Weipa. I booked a double bed with separate shower online for $72 and wasn't expecting anything flashy. The free shuttle picks up from the international terminal and took 20 mins just note that the return trip is not free and a $10 fee is payable.

The check in process was a little slow as the staff were training new employees. Even though they charged me twice for my room the staff were quick to refund the over payment.

The room was on the 2nd floor and was clean and tide with an A/C that could only be operated by the staff. A bit annoying but given the weather was not overly hot at 31c it was quite Ok not to have the A/C on.

The place is full on younger backpackers so it may have seemed odd to see an older dude but its actually a good place to stay even if you are not 18 -26 years old. They have a bar with a good selection of beer and good food at reasonable prices.

Surprisingly the place went dead at around 11pm with little or no noise so I had a good sleep. Free toast and coffee/tea is available in the bar area. Overall a good stay for a very reasonable price. I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stevelizhangjun
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I only stayed one night here as we had a late flight into Cairns. They were very friendly about checking us in at midnight and the room was fine, despite a few stains on the carpet. Breakfast was toast and tea/coffee but there was an option to buy other stuff if you wanted. We left the next morning but I could see there were a lot of activities on offer and the hang-out area was cool. Friendly staff, convenient for the airport.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Located outside of central Cairns, with frequent shuttle to town. Single room was clean and comfortable. There also an airport shuttle ($10). The restaurant was OK. If you want A/C you have ask the front desk to turn it on in your room. No phone or free WIFI in the room.

Nice pool in tropical setting.

Not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo