“Great value, Great facilities but just a bit far away from everything!”

Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar
Ranked #34 of 83 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The hostel was great with a great bar, pool tables, food, Swimming pool, clean rooms, great services my only negative comment would be that the hostel was quite far out of town it took us 45 minutes to walk from town so would recommend using transport

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
BryonySumner, Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Hello and thanks for the great review - we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay - come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

this hostel was our first stop on our travels and it was really hard to beat!! we had such an excellent time!!Michelle was excellent she got everyone doing things during the day and night and they were free activities with prizes perfect for backpackers! there was a shuttle bus into town and back every hour very convenient would not have stayed anywhere else it was so much fun!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 December 2013

After arriving in sydney and booking what we thought was a hassle free once in a life time package deal down the east coast with STA travel. We flew up to Cairns arriving at nomads-Serpent bar ready to start our activities that we had booked previously with STA. We then found that the itinerary we were given was very limited and in most places no information at all. we were left feeling deflated and robbed of our money, then to the rescue we went to the 'mad travel desk' located at the reception we found MEGSI!!!! she welcomed us with a big friendly smile, and took charge of our whole package and bookings- which wasnt even booked with there travel desk. (a massive help)we spent virtualley the whole day correcting and sorting STAs errors, even skipping her lunch break in order to ensure we had accomadation booked over the xmas period, from then on we were given a day to day calender with all of our activities and times of our greyhound bus so we could enjoy the rest of our trip worry free. We have stayed in many hostels, this one is by far the best for the pure reason of the help we received and the care she took in her job and wasnt all about taking our money (how we felt with STA)

OVERALL THANKYOU MEGSI YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I arrived in Cairns on a rainy Monday afternoon suffering from a new condition called 'coast brain' which basically means after 5 weeks on the coast of partying,barely sleeping,eating badly and adventure activities my brain is in meltdown so I promptly locked my keys in my car shortly after I checked in.Genius.
Step forward one of the duty managers Erin,Andy and Vincent.
Andy like a proper fella took the task or retrieving the keys as a challenge fashioning all sorts of devices while Vincent and Erin offered him encouragement all in the bucketing rain.I would have smashed the window as my patience was razor thin but thanks to these nice staff members helping out when they really didn't have to the window is intact and I didnt have to fork out for a locksmith.The other staff i had dealing with(the 2 Irish girls and the girl from Ontario were also friendly and helpful).Hostel aint half bad either.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for Two nights in November. We arrive from Melbourne to cairns and was told a shuttle bus would pick us up from airport. We were told to call them when we landed. I did this and was talking to a girl who said we should wait at arrivals for bus. She also asked me what flight we had been on and my contact number to give driver. After an half hour no sign and rang back. She told me that the driver went but we were not there.. I told her I was still standing in arrivals and slot of buses were coming picking up there guest and none of them was our driver. She said she would ring him again and see where he was. Another 20 mins later still no driver so again we rand and same story.., another 30 mins no driver so our 3rd call to Nonamds I got talking to a different person who told me we should be at international arrivals!!!! And got thick saying we were told that... If we were told that do u think we would have spent over an hour and half waiting where we were.
He said he would ring the driver again and tell him to get us. We headed over to "international arrivals" which seemed to be closed cause there wasn't one person around.. Waited 15 mins and still no driver.. Again on the 4th call to hostel we told them and they more of less told us that he was there and not now... We need up having to get a taxi and no apologies were made on check in. Not once did the driver ring me so why ask for my contact number!!!
When we finally did check in the person showing us around told us that at 6pm that evening there would be a talk to newcomers and a free drink with the voucher. We arrived at 6.05 and were told that was for 6pm sharp and no talk was taking place!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank kar102

Hello and thanks for the review - we really do strive for excellent customer service so it is very disappointing to hear of your bad experience. I will show your feedback to the staff involved and ensure that more training is provided. We wish you all the best for your future travels!

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

I just recently stayed here and it was hardly 4.5* it was more like 2!
I stayed in a private room which was never cleaned, I didn't even get a new toilet roll when I ran out!
Staff were judgemental of the questions I asked them & acted favourable toward young international guests over Australians & older couples. I had to leave early and was not refunded any of the cost!
I asked for a shuttle & was told I had to pay for someone to come yet other guests were taken with their suitcases to the airport by the company shuttle who picked them up 10m down the street so it didn't look as obvious! Not impressed at all!
And I fixed the broken tv in the room that someone stole the remote for.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hi - thanks for your review and sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We have strict housekeeping and bus policies in place and it looks like they were not followed during your time here and I will be following this up. All our rooms are serviced daily and toilet paper replaced and the complimentary tea and coffees topped up as well as a basic clean and turn down service. I will certainly be investigating as to why this wasn't the case during your stay. Under no circumstances are the bus drivers permitted to drop passengers at the airport as a special license is required for this (we are allowed to do courtesy pick ups only) so if you could possibly message me with the date and time this occurred then I can find out who it was and resolve the issue. I would really appreciate if you could email me on bryony@nomadsworld.com with this information and also the room number and dates of your stay so that I can follow up these issues it would be greatly appreciated. We definitely welcome all guests regardless of age or nationality so I am sorry that you were not made to feel welcome. I look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best for the rest of your travels.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The atmosphere is awesome, beautiful people, good fun.
The hostel is not in the city center but there is a free shuttle every hour.
The rooms are pretty clean and big, the only thing I found a bit uncomfortable was that there's just a plug (even if with the extension) for the whole room.
Bathroom and toilets are clean, the kitchen is a bit small and a bit messy, but not too bad.
There is a free breakfast and cheap meals at the bar.
Nice open resting area with pool, sofas, tables and music.
I really enjoyed my staying!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Hiya - thanks for your review we are so happy that you had a good stay - come back and see us again in sunny Cairns soon!
Have a ripper trip