“Great stay”

Ranked #46 of 85 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
South Wales
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in a private king room which was great value for money. Staff were very helpful and we booked two day trips through mad travel downstairs and both were fantastic!! Wifi was good 12 dollars unlimited for a week. Room was really cosy flat screen tv. Location wasn't a problem for us as we drove but it's quite a walk from centre of town. Free parking on site. Good pool area. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Finnish first
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

I love this hostel. From the cheap meals and fairly priced beds, to the clean showers and toilets it's comfortable to stay. Some of the guests can take the Mickey drinking late but all in all it's a good place to stay in cairns. I'll definitely stay again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Good vibes here and lots of activities. Kate was great at Mad Travel! She will absolutely take great care of you and will help coordinate all your travel needs and activities removing the hassle. Good commons area to meet people. Enjoyed the pool, pool tables, ping pong tables. The bathrooms and showers were clean which is one of the things I look for in a decent hostel. I noticed people complaining about the distance into the center of town on the HostelBookers reviews but it was no big deal for me. Shuttles over there by the hostel every hour were fine and the walk there isn't bad either (about 30 minutes).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yasu F
Metro Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Among the hostels I stayed at in Australia (actually just three hostels in Melbourne and this one in Cairns), Nomads Serpent definitely ranks first. They have their own swimming pool, bar/restaurant, pingpong table, huge lounge airy area where the backpackers meet and greet, clean kitchen and laundry area. Staff were amazing particularly Margot who handled my irritated attitude on my first day exceptionally well, Marge who was always smiling and was so interested to listen to my adventure stories, Chris who always greeted guests and was very professional and all the backpackers who were working there - Max who picked us up at the airport, Jenny from Manchester and many others. I stayed in a twin bed room with my friend and the room was clean. Nothing to complain about except our room was on the bar side and of course, this place was filled with young blood, and party was happening every night. Although I could have asked for a quieter area, I am sure this won't be a problem with the management but opted to remain as the crowd's vibes were so contagious and felt good to be young at heart again ;) All the best to you guys and I will definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

The rooms in this hostel are like prison cells. In our 4 dorm one of the beds was broken (ladder and railing on the top bunk were not attached at all points) and we complained and no one did anything.

Air-con can only be adjusted at reception which is annoying.

Staff aren't really helpful. I had a problem with the shuttle bus when travelling with luggage.

As a positive, the food is quite good and they serve Australian meats in burgers.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
BryonySumner, Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Hi - thanks for the review - I am sorry to hear that your bed was broken - this is the first I have heard of it so we are now conducting a full check of all the rooms to make sure it is fixed immediately. I am sorry that you did not have a good experience during your time with us - it would be great if you could send me some more details as I am not sure what you mean by having trouble with luggage on the bus? I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and bar. Enjoy the rest of your travels!

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Pretty disapointed to land in Cairns and not even have someone there to pick us up even though we already said the exact time and terminal we were coming in at. When we finally arrived (courtesy of their van, which was very run down and didn't have seatbelts) we were met by no front desk staff, just a backpacker - which is all good and well - except he put us in the wrong bed. Again, we sighed and shrugged it off.

We didn't know the protocol for payment because we assumed since we (my boyfriend and I) had called Nomads 48 hours and 24 hours prior to boarding the flight, to let them know of our approximate check in time, being 4:00 am.

We were given a twin room instead of the double bed - we're a couple not siblings, seriously. Anyway, we go downstairs and are not even greeted with a welcome, just simply 3 people behind the desk with blank stares. A lady called Margot was irrevocably rude the entire time we stayed there. She had been the one who booked our flights and organised everything with our awesome and wonderful travel agency (Peterpans) didn't even take responsibility for her mistakes in 1. not sending us a pickup van - it wasn't a must, but considering the crazy amount we were paying for 'backpacker' accomodation, it should've been obvious., 2. putting us in the wrong room (WHY DIDN'T SHE TELL THE OTHER MAN WE WERE COMING IN AND WERE ALLOCATED B14?! I have worked in hospitality before, it's really not that difficult to make a side note.) 3. CHARGING us for staying in that room because we checked in 'early' and therefore it was the day before not the current day we were present - which didn't make any frickin' sense to me and 4. we got no consolation for the problematic mix ups which is something I found really strange, hospitality is an industry that relies on good reviews and good customer loyalty, and would've thought for THEIR mistakes, they would offer something?!?!?!?!?!

The actual venue was really nice and well located. The travelers weren't too bad either. The staff at Nomads reception were a whole other can of people, except for 2 or 3 other kitchen/bar staff who were lovely and very warm. The kitchen and fridge where people can cook their own things was disgusting though - it was really unrealistic of them to expect people to clean after themselves continuously to a standard that was healthy or hygienic. Bathrooms were good, there were far too many ants on the basins though and too little space for what is obviously a haven for women (unrealistic that only 4 girls will be using the mirror at one time c'mon).

I was really disappointed in their service. I found it unreliable (Asking for things and not getting them, then having to ask again and again until I received it e.g. 'can you please turn the air-con on for me?' 'sure'...wait 30 mins, ask again!!!!!). It was rude and dismissive. I didn't want to hand my money over to them because of the way that they were so self-righteous. There was a lady behind the counter called Marie and she was absolutely lovely and tried her very best to help out and be accommodating, but 1 out of 12 staff still doesn't make up for 2,000 dollars of 2 full time students wages on a holiday.

Very irritated about Nomads Cairns - wouldn't recommend to anyone because of the sheer fact that they were so inflexible, inconsiderate and had no customer orientation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
BryonySumner, Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Hiya - thanks for taking the time to leave us a review - I would have loved to have spoken with you during your stay so we could have rectified some of your concerns. We offer a free, courtesy pick up from the airport - and we pick up anywhere between 10 and 50 people each day. As this is a complimentary service we are unable to meet people off their flights -we just ask that guests give us a call when they have landed and collected their luggage and we arrange a place to meet. It would be great if we had the resources to meet and greet every guest off their flight but we would not be able to sustain this as a free service if we did. Your agent should have relayed this information to you so I am sorry that you were misled. Reception is closed at 4am and we have a backpacker on duty to meet and greet late and early arrivals. Our check in time is 1pm - if guests want to check in during the night we advise them to book the night before so that the room is ready - notifying us of a 4am arrival is fine and we sent you a confirmation stating the time you would be able to be checked in. (1pm) You had asked the backpacker to check you in then and there so they gave you the only private room available. This was not the double room that you booked as your room was not ready until later that day. I am sure as an experienced hotel worker you understand the reservation systems and check in times. I am sorry that you did not have a good experience with the front desk staff - I am especially confused that you did not find Margot helpful as I have only had good feedback on her to date. We have talked about the review and are also confused as to who was booking flights as we do not offer that service? I will ensure that your comments are handed on to all the staff so that we can use them in training. Thanks again for the feedback and we wish you happy travels in the future.
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

The hostel was great with a great bar, pool tables, food, Swimming pool, clean rooms, great services my only negative comment would be that the hostel was quite far out of town it took us 45 minutes to walk from town so would recommend using transport

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Hello and thanks for the great review - we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay - come back and see us again soon!