“dont hesitate to stay here”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Northampton, United Kingdom
“dont hesitate to stay here”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

stayed for 3 nights at the end of April with my boyfriend in a double room with balcony. had a warm welcom from the staff (they even managed to remember my name without promting) helped us book trips with some great advice. Rooms were not ensuite but bathrooms where clean and readily available. Didnt use the kitchen area but seemed clean and tidy. The walk to the beach/promenade was around 15minutes but down a main shopping street but this was fine for us as meant we were away from the city centre. Would recomend this place all day long.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Sydney
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I was travelling with girlfriend and her family and what a great place to stay. We were picked up from the airport by the staff. From the moment we arrived John was super super friendly and really helpful. He pretty much helped us plan and organise everything we done in and around Cairns. They can book everything you need. This would have to be one of the nicest hostels i have ever stayed in. I was fortunate enough to meet Kathy and Gabe the owners and they are also great, and its obvious they love the hostel and have put their heart into making it the great place it is.. The staff are all super nice, the place is amazingly clean, and has all the finishing touches that a great hostel should have. It has a swimming pool and an awesome BBQ area. Dont miss the Monday night BBQ, for $12, you cant go wrong, the food is amazing, and you can go back for 2nd's and 3rd's...I loved the fact that the hostel is so laid back and chilled.. its also quiet at night when you want to sleep...The location is great, only a 5 min walk to the shopping centre and main street of Cairns... my girlfriends parents have never stayed in a hostel and said they loved it...I have stayed in lots of hostels, and i wouldnt stay anywhere else in Cairns..thanks to John and the staff at Travellers Oasis for making it a great stay...
The Canadians and Jade.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jadesmith1978
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Travellers Oasis did not disappoint--it was a fun hostel, Helen is amazing, and her suggestions for side-trips were bang on. For the price, it had better amenities than more expensive hostels I stayed at during my trip to Oz/Kiwiland, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Cairns. The hostel is close to a big shopping mall and a good local eatery, so whether you want to eat out or save a few bucks and buy your own groceries, you are in luck. Cairns "city" center is a short walk away, which I rather preferred instead of being in a loud party zone like most other hostels in town were. Oh, and if you are ever there, make sure you visit the Cairns Tropical Zoo--the closest you can get to native Australian fauna, and I mean it--after CTZ, the Australia pavilion of the Taronga Zoo in Sydney was a bit disappointing.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Stayed here for four nights in after travelling frantically all over Australia. Was the perfect place to take a step back and chill out for a few days- clean rooms and facilities (amazing kitchens), great (free) DVD selection and good communal areas. When you're done with relaxing the staff are great at booking any activities around Cairns and give good impartial advice. Only 2 mins from main shopping centre and 10mins from the lagoon. Such a good time there I went back for a few more days when I found myself in Cairns again.

Cheers John and all other staff!

Andy

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I had written to hostel numerous times about things to do and they always got back to be in a time manner. They picked me up at the airport on rainy Saturday even though they were not scheduled to. They let me find things on the internet and were good about it when I did not have any change and said to pay for it the next time I was downstairs. I remember getting up early and wondering where to catch the local bus to Kuranda. John was very patient with me and explaining where things were. They always took time to explain things to people and I never felt rushed. I though John was good--Helen--she was a jem to work with. The rooms were very clean including the bathrooms. You will meet a variety of different people there. I remember meeting a lad from England who had lost his luggage. The staff were very helpful in trying to help the bloke retrieve his baggage before he went on a 5 day scuba trip. It is not a party house and that is what I liked.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My friend and I arrived after a looong flight from Alice Springs after 8pm and had out instructions for our late check-in, but the lovely Helen had waited for us to arrive so we didn't need to bother :o) She showed us around and got us to our room and the stay here just got better and better!!

As we arrived late and reception was closed we needed to check-in in the morning before 10am. That was all sorted nice and quick and Helen was awesome once again (does this gal ever go home!?) and gave us lots of tips about getting into town, finding the Greyhound Station and also gave us some food vouchers (defo go to The Green Ant - it's mexican and it is good!!!). Cairns city centre is a little walk away and the lagoon is within a 10/15 minute walk - like I said, it is a great location.

We decided to stay another night so we could do Daintree Rainforest and it was arranged nice and quickly. We had to move rooms, but as we weren't there that day Helen arranged for our bags etc to be moved while we were out - when we got back our room and bags were all ready - how handy is that!

John is also a fantastic guy and is just as helpful as Helen! :o) ... I went on the Wifi while I was there and it was either $10 or $5 a day (depending on the time you got the password). The hostel is great, very clean and very cool ... Lovely pool area, eating area and kitchen - we had a great Pizza Night while we were there - $10 each and the guys ordered takeout pizzas and we just stuffed our faces! Yum! ... The showers and toliets are fab - nice and clean and the showers were always warm.

So overall a lovely hostel with fantastic staff and in a perfect location! I would recommend this to anyone and everyone!

Thank you very much to Helen and John for making our stay so great!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2011

From the very first moment i walked in to the office to check in i knew that it is going to be a great stay. All the staff are really happy and friendly, they make you feel welcomed and they have loads of advise about what to do in the area as well as being able to book all your trips. The hostel itself is a really relaxed place with loads of places to sit and chill out. They organise BBQ's so that you can meet, hang out with and get to know both the staff and other travellers. There was a wide range of people staying here, of all ages and nationaliies. I would recommend this hostel to anyone. John and Helen especially are great people and were so helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo