Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Hilton
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$94
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$152
US$213
US$161
  • Pool
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$82
Agoda.com
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$138
  • Pool
Coral Tree Inn(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$87
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$95
  • Pool
All reviewssister hostelpizza nightdidgeridoo competitionsingle roommonday nightair conaussie bbqthe east coastcommunal areas arefree tea and coffeefree wififantastic hostelcoin operatedhome away from hometropic daysfavourite hostelfelt like home
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I literally just finished my stay at Traveller's Oasis and couldn't wait to write them a glowing review!

I booked myself for a three night stay in a 4-person room and did all my tour bookings through them as well. Helen and Kerri were very helpful over email, even before I met them, with useful comments on tours I had researched online.

When I arrived at Cairns airport, It was quite early in the morning so I was booked for a third party shuttle service instead of the pick-up service offered by Traveller's Oasis. Unfortunately, there was some sort of mix-up by the shuttle service and I ended up having to take a taxi after an hour and a half wait. I didn't want to let this experience put a damper on the start of my trip and the Traveller's Oasis more than made up for it. I still managed to make my tour that morning and despite the shuttle error being beyond their control, Helen was so kind as to put me into a 3-person room and provide me with complementary access to their wifi throughout my stay.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere at the Oasis. It's very homey and relaxed. They have a lovely outdoor patio/eating area under cover where I spent most of my time in the evening. There's also a nice living room area with TV/DVD where I watched an episode of Lost with other backpackers after a day on the reef. Most people made their own meals and it was a nice time to sit and chat. Great way to meet people from all over the world and hear about their travels. I felt very much at home.

I was very happy with the location. It was right across the street from Cairns Central shopping mall which made picking up groceries so easy. You can pick up pre-marinated barbecue meats at the Coles supermarket and use the free BBQ at Oasis for a delicious dinner. There's also an excellent pub that serves Mexican-style food across the street called Green Ant Cantina with specials for backpackers (I had a $10 chicken mexi-plate, good value and delicious). From the Oasis, it was only a 10 minute walk to the Esplanade, the main street in Cairns where the pubs, clubs, restaurants and souvenir shops are located along the water.

There's a bunch of other backpacker hostels in Cairns located in or around the Esplanade but they were loud and raucous. I've stayed in some other centrally-located backpackers, where the party rages 24/7 and you can't sleep because of all the noise, and I am so over it. I would much prefer to stay at a relaxed and quiet place like Traveller's Oasis and head out for a night on the town.

The staff were the best. In addition to what I mentioned above, one of my bus tours was cancelled last minute due to vehicle trouble, Helen called and helped booked me into another tour straight away. The staff had lots of good info and tips on things to do. At the end of each day, I would look forward to a quick check-in with them about the tour I was on. They seemed to genuinely care about my tour experiences and feedback. Big smiles, good humour and a warm hug on check-out this morning. I wouldn't ask for anything except more time to spend there.

In summary, I highly recommend the Traveler's Oasis. If you're looking for a loud party hostel then there's plenty of others to choose from in Cairns. If you're looking for a relaxed place to stay in Cairns with a great vibe, excellent value and wonderful staff, this is the place for you. My first review on Trip Advisor, which helped me pick Traveller's Oasis. Hope my review is helpful too! -Richard L.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I spent two nights at travellers oasis and I wished I could stay longer but I already had booked my flight to Darwin. The hostel is spotless clean, the stuff is very friendly and the travellers where welcoming. When i checked in, Marco showed me everything in the hostel (kitchen, laundery, room...). He is fantastic. Helen is awesome too. She had some good advise for my journey to Darwin. I was in a 3 dorm which contains 3 single beds (no bunks). The matress was comfy and the room smelled fresh and clean. I really enjoyed my time at travellers oasis and i fully recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Homelike surrounding, warm-hearted staff make this sweet place a right place to stay for travellers.
some noise made by the wooden stairs and outdoor traffic at night.

Room Tip: the rooms behind the swimming pool are quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

Best hostel I've stayed in.

Have been travelling for a total of 14 weeks and this hostel is far the best. Such a nice homely feel. Lots of kitchen facilities. No shortage of pots pans etc. Free spices and tea and coffee on offer. Missed the BBQ night on Monday but had an amazing all you can eat pizza night. Loved the decoration it felt like a home away from home. So clean. No bunkbeds in the rooms I stayed in. Short walk to the town and the lagoon.

Helen and marco do a fantastic job. They always have time for everyone and remember everyone by their first names. Helen is really helpful at booking trips for all over Australia and helped me plan my whitsundays and Fraser island tours.

Thanks guys for everything. Cairns is a great place and this hostel made the experience even better.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for quite a while and it is probably my favourite place away from home!! Helen & Marco make you feel so comfortable and are always there to help you with a smile! The hostel is spotless and has everything you could want from a hostel! I would recommend travellers oasis to everyone you won't find a better
Place to stay! Thank you so much for everything Helen, Marco, Gabe & Cathy you guys are amazing!

• Stayed: April 2012