“Amazing staff, cosy hostel”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Amazing staff, cosy hostel”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

First of all Helen on the front desk is an absolute legend, be nice to her as she will help you out so much! When I arrived I had no plans beyond the first few days and she was happy to sit down and talk through where I wanted to go next, what tours I should do, where I should stay etc. And then she even booked them for me!
The hostel has everything you need, the rooms are spacious (no bunks just single beds) a nice little pool and just a great chilled out vibe. There's a bbq night and pizza night which are useful for getting to meet your fellow travellers but I found everyone there was very approachable anyway. Many travellers were solo travellers but I also saw families and even a couple on their honeymoon there.
Yep its not right in the middle of town but its an easy walk to everything you might need and this helps to give it the chilled out atmosphere. All'n'all having visited many more hostels since I appreciate travellers oasis even more...it does exactly what it says on the tin!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Wen I met the staff from Traveller's Oasis I immediately knew I wanted to stay there. It was so peaceful and tranquil, despite the fact they were very busy and had a lot of guests.The warmth of the staff, the genuine enthousiasm for travelling, for the country and the things you can do there as a tourist was amazing. Also, they have a lot of know-how, they can help you get good deals and the hostel itself is just beautiful. Wonderful swimming pool, palmtrees surrounding it, clean kitchens and showers, nice beds and located directly next to the main shopping mall in Cairns: I can definitely recommend this hostel, and I will go there again if I am ever around in Cairns! I am already missing them but one has to look forward in life: but this experience is most definitely one I will remember always!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My partner, my 15 month old son and I stayed at the Travellers Oasis just for a single night before we flew out of Cairns but this hostel truly left an impression. It is clean, it offers heaps of space, it has nice areas to socialise and a really good vibe in general.

It seems to be visited mostly by a crowd in their 20ies om a tight budget and it has everything people of that age would expect from a hostel. Usually you really never hang out in a hostel a lot but this place makes you actually stay there. The pool is a nice bonus.

There is a shopping center including supermarket just around a corner and there is enough parking space just on the road. It has 20 odd rooms so you can meet other travellers easily without making the place to overcrowded. The staff working there was really nice.

Hardly ever stayed in a nicer hostel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Basel, Basel-Stadt, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This is the best hotstel I have ever stayed in. The staff is super-friendly and helpful and the guests were grown up which gave the perfect atmosphere. Because it was so nice and relaxed there, I spontaneously decided to take a few days from traveling the world and have a rest in paradise. Thanks you so much for this wonderful place!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights in July. We felt very well looked after by Helen and the team, who made us feel instantly welcome. Our room was like a hotel room and was very comfortable. The bathroom was always available and clean. We made use of the barbecue and large outdoor dining area. On the last day they let us stay in the hostel until we caught our bus at midnight. They were well-informed about trips and had plenty of information. They were really helpful with booking the trips, too. Thanks!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed there for five nights. The staff was super-friendly and managed to solve all of the request we had and provide any information we needed for tours or Cairns. The decoration and the warm atmosphere make of the Travellers Oasis a must-see place in Cairns.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms which are a bit too close to the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed at the hostel for 3 nights early August 2012 in a double room. Onyl booked two nights but on arrival we realised we needed another night, not a problem for the staff who arranged for us to have the same room for the 3 nights. When our original tour got cancelled to Cape Tribulation the office staff managed to get us a trip for the following day even though it was 7pm.
Can't really fault the Hostel, it was clean, tidy, homely and close to all ammenities.

The management need to be proud of their staff who were amazingly friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple