“The place to stay in Cairns”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Basel, Switzerland
“The place to stay in Cairns”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed three times at the Travellers Oasis as we were exploring the Cairns area. It is simply one of the best backpackers in Northern Queensland. The staff is absolutely charming and very helpful if you would like to do some activities up there. All rooms and common areas are very clean and lovely decorated. We can only recommend you to stay there.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe double (room 20 & 21) with your own balcony :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I am typing this review as I sit in the Travellers Oasis garden on my last night in Cairns. My fiance and I stayed here for a total of 6 nights and this was our base for exploring Cairns, the GBR and a side trip to Airlie Beach. Every time we leave on our side trips I find myself missing home (aka Travellers Oasis).

Pros:
- The Staff. Helen and Rea were both wonderful. They take the time to learn your names and travel plans and make good recommendations. The staff have been on a lot of the tours they recommend so their advice is from experience.

- Location. Across the street from Cairns Central shopping mall = easy access to Coles for groceries, and cheap eats at the food court. You can cut through to the mall to get to Shields St (main strip with bars/restaurants & esplanade).. 20 mins walk.

- Free wifi (this was a big one for us. But there is also free wifi at the Lagoon)

Cons:

- I can't name too many, but as the kitchen is semi open-air, there are a ton of flies around when you try to cook.

- Location. If you want to be in the heart of the action, living on top of a bar, then this is not it. Travellers Oasis is about a 15 min walk to Shields St.

Tips:

- Private rooms come with own safe and fridge. The Private Double even had its own sink.

- Book your tours at Reception! We wanted to book the Derwent Hunter and were ok with paying the brochure price. Upon asking Helen, she said we can get concession rate due to their vendor relationship.

- Airport Shuttle. $5 each way with FNQ airport shuttles. Regular Price is $10, but mention Travellers Oasis and you get 50% off. Cheaper than taxi!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
South of Sydney, NSW
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff; nice, clean place with everything you need and a warm Bohemian look; very close to Cairns Central with heaps of shops including supermarkets (so you can buy your own food and drinks - there is a fridge in every room and also a share kitchen); also close to the Esplanade. They also book tours for you. I went to the Great Barrier Reef and Cape Trib and they were both great.
I miss Cairns and the Travellers Oasis! Although I live in Australia, I can feel the difference and can't wait to go back there in a year or two for the second part of my holiday (Kuranda, Tablelands etc.). I enjoyed my stay in Cairns so much that I am considering moving up there. :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

This is the best hostel I have ever visited!!! If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing home base while you are enjoying Cairns, this is it. The staff here obviously care about their guests. When we arrived at reception the lovely staff took the time to show us to our room and even carried our bags. Helen is very friendly and she took the time to suggest activities and day trips that suited our interests. We stayed in a dorm room. The beds were comfortable and clean. They provide a towel, a lock box and a mini fridge in the room.
I would say that the lovely staff at the Travellers Oasis puts the "care" in Cairns. If I ever make it back this way, I would return to the Travellers Oasis without any hesitation!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night after completing a week long Great Barrier Reef cruise.

We received a friendly and informative welcome from Helen as soon as we checked in, who took her time talking to us about hostel facilities and things to do in Cairns. She didn't seem to be in a hurry though there were other guests waiting to be attended.

Our double room was basic but comfortable and all shared facilities (kitchen, bathroom, swimming pool) were clean and well maintained. We liked the idea of a coin operated meter in the room to turn air conditioning on and off as we needed it. WiFi was free and worked well in our room.

Hostel is a 10 minutes drive from the airport, 2-3 minutes walk from railway station and Cairns Central shopping centre, and 15 minutes walk from the esplanade. Hostel has a tie up with FNQ airport shuttle to provide discounted airport transfers at $5 per person.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had a great 3 nights in this hostel and felt so comfortable here! I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay again if i was back in Cairns.

All the good things:
- no bunk beds
- free wifi that worked
- crockery and cutlery in kitchen that didn't need a deposit
- friendly and helpful staff
- optional air conditioning in room ($1 for 3 hours)
- close to shopping centre
- quiet with no bar but very friendly and easy to meet people

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Elly R
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here in November 2012. Was reasonably priced and located right near the main shopping centre. The staff were really helpful and pretty much booked all of our accomodation and trips for travelling down the east coast!

The rooms were average, but good enough for what we paid. Everyone staying there was friendly and it definately wasn't over crowded. Pool was good! Only down fall is paying for WiFi, something that should be free at any hotel

Make sure 100% you go on uncle brians tour, this can be booked from the hotel and cannot be missed for the most fun you can have sober!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends