“AMAZING!!!!!! ”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Brighton, United Kingdom
“AMAZING!!!!!! ”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

we stayed here for 6 nights at the beginning of our year long trip to oz... wish every hostel was amazing as this one, it is the best hostel I have ever stayed in! the staff -Helen and Rea - made our stay so personal and always went the extra mile for us and gave great advice on places to visit, trips, dinners etc! the pool and BBQ/social area was great and everyone staying was lovely and The staff arranged for us all to have things to do each eve (drinks out, pizza night etc). great room with lots of space and a safe, kitchen had everything you could hope for! the only little comment would be is the toilet and shower probably need a lick of paint, update and a new lock but otherwise it was perfect! we are already planning our trip back to cairns just so we can stay again!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
kent
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have travelled a lot & have stayed in many different types of hostels/guesthouses. I stayed at their sister hostel tropic days 8 years ago & loved it so thought id give travellers a try this time.
I would say that Travellers oasis is the best hostel I have ever stayed in! From the moment I checked in I immediately felt at home as i was shown around the whole hostel (very rare!) & the reception staff were so friendly! I stayed in a 6 bed dorm which I loved & it was very
comfortable. Free wifi was excellent & actually works, even in dorms!
It is a very chilled out, quiet place to stay but very friendly & sociable! I made so many friends here & there were a really nice mixture of ages/nationalities. The whole atmosphere is great as the staff call all guests by name, always say hello & greet u with a smile. Helen is absolute star & the owners Gabe & Cathy have put in so much work to make their hostels perfect for travellers. I would recommend booking your tours with reception as everything they recommended turned out brilliant!
If you you don't want a party hostel but still want to meet people then this is a perfect place to stay.
Oh & the Monday BBQ is fabulous!!
Thank you to all the staff at travellers for the BEST time in cairns.

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 6 nights in the end as it was so nice. Real home away from home. Staff really helpful, especially helen. Very clean. Not a party hostel so plenty of relaxed atmosphere. Not right in the centre but this meant it was quiet and was only 15 mins walk to the lagoon. Would definately recommend!

• Stayed November 2013
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed three times at the Travellers Oasis as we were exploring the Cairns area. It is simply one of the best backpackers in Northern Queensland. The staff is absolutely charming and very helpful if you would like to do some activities up there. All rooms and common areas are very clean and lovely decorated. We can only recommend you to stay there.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe double (room 20 & 21) with your own balcony :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I am typing this review as I sit in the Travellers Oasis garden on my last night in Cairns. My fiance and I stayed here for a total of 6 nights and this was our base for exploring Cairns, the GBR and a side trip to Airlie Beach. Every time we leave on our side trips I find myself missing home (aka Travellers Oasis).

Pros:
- The Staff. Helen and Rea were both wonderful. They take the time to learn your names and travel plans and make good recommendations. The staff have been on a lot of the tours they recommend so their advice is from experience.

- Location. Across the street from Cairns Central shopping mall = easy access to Coles for groceries, and cheap eats at the food court. You can cut through to the mall to get to Shields St (main strip with bars/restaurants & esplanade).. 20 mins walk.

- Free wifi (this was a big one for us. But there is also free wifi at the Lagoon)

Cons:

- I can't name too many, but as the kitchen is semi open-air, there are a ton of flies around when you try to cook.

- Location. If you want to be in the heart of the action, living on top of a bar, then this is not it. Travellers Oasis is about a 15 min walk to Shields St.

Tips:

- Private rooms come with own safe and fridge. The Private Double even had its own sink.

- Book your tours at Reception! We wanted to book the Derwent Hunter and were ok with paying the brochure price. Upon asking Helen, she said we can get concession rate due to their vendor relationship.

- Airport Shuttle. $5 each way with FNQ airport shuttles. Regular Price is $10, but mention Travellers Oasis and you get 50% off. Cheaper than taxi!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
South of Sydney, NSW
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff; nice, clean place with everything you need and a warm Bohemian look; very close to Cairns Central with heaps of shops including supermarkets (so you can buy your own food and drinks - there is a fridge in every room and also a share kitchen); also close to the Esplanade. They also book tours for you. I went to the Great Barrier Reef and Cape Trib and they were both great.
I miss Cairns and the Travellers Oasis! Although I live in Australia, I can feel the difference and can't wait to go back there in a year or two for the second part of my holiday (Kuranda, Tablelands etc.). I enjoyed my stay in Cairns so much that I am considering moving up there. :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

This is the best hostel I have ever visited!!! If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing home base while you are enjoying Cairns, this is it. The staff here obviously care about their guests. When we arrived at reception the lovely staff took the time to show us to our room and even carried our bags. Helen is very friendly and she took the time to suggest activities and day trips that suited our interests. We stayed in a dorm room. The beds were comfortable and clean. They provide a towel, a lock box and a mini fridge in the room.
I would say that the lovely staff at the Travellers Oasis puts the "care" in Cairns. If I ever make it back this way, I would return to the Travellers Oasis without any hesitation!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple