“Ditto to previous reviews”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The previous reviewers have pretty much covered it:
- really excellent staff - some of the friendliest and helpful we have encountered
- free and actually useable wifi is great
- double rooms were comfortable; for me, the pillows weren't the best (too hard), but that is a personal preference; every room has a fridge (at least the twin and double rooms) - I love that
- BBQ Monday night was great, even for a vegetarian
- pool area was nice and I always enjoy a good swing in a hammock
- kitchen was fine - there are two (I only used one); always a problem with other travelers not cleaning up after themselves properly, but you'll get everywhere unfortunately
- cleanliness throughout - the staff always seemed to be cleaning and I felt everything was pretty clean in the shared areas
- location - we had stayed a few nights closer to the Esplanade, so we were a bit spoiled when we moved here; but it's really not that far - probably 10-12 mins to the water.

My only suggestion would be that they enforce the "quiet after 10pm" rule as rooms are never very sound proof and sound carries throughout the area.

Would definitely recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: We were in Room 16 (twin room) and Room 11 (double). Room 11 is a nice sized room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My best friend and I took a quick trip around Australia the past week and a half (we packed a lot into 10 days!)... when we visited Cairns we stayed at Travellers, and it was fantastic! This was the only hostel I have ever stayed at, and it has set the bar pretty high for any others!

As terrible as this sounds, the free wifi was one of the most appreciated features. Being from the US we were only able to contact our loved ones back home when we had wifi, so the fact that it was 24/7 free (and worked great even in the rooms) was SO NICE.

We missed out on the pizza night, as we left that morning but I hear the theme nights are great. The staff was super friendly, the place was incredibly clean.

The fact that they loan you beach towels and bath towels is beyond amazing. Who wants to drag that with them on vacation!?

There were plenty of bathrooms and showers, so you never had to wait longer than 5 min if that. The kitchen looked really well stocked, we never used it though. The fridge in the room was a nice touch, we picked up a few snacks at the grocery across the street.

I will definitely consider staying in hostels wherever I travel from now on, thanks to my experience here at Travellers!

Room Tip: We had a two person private, and it was great!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Really enjoyed my time at Travellers Oasis - so much so that I'm going back again to finish off my east coast trip! Staff are lovely and friendly, really helpful when booking trips. Really enjoyed the BBQ which is run at the sister hostel.
Great facilities - pool, kitchen, washing, use of beach and towels and free wifi which is fantastic considering I've had to pay for it in most hostels!
Beds comfy and clean and the towel is also great - saves having to use own for a few days.
The bathrooms perhaps could do with a lick of paint and a floor mat as it can get quite slippery.

Overall absolutely loved my time here and really looking forward to going back in December!

Would highly recommend Travellers Oasis to anyone visiting Cairns.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

we stayed here for 6 nights at the beginning of our year long trip to oz... wish every hostel was amazing as this one, it is the best hostel I have ever stayed in! the staff -Helen and Rea - made our stay so personal and always went the extra mile for us and gave great advice on places to visit, trips, dinners etc! the pool and BBQ/social area was great and everyone staying was lovely and The staff arranged for us all to have things to do each eve (drinks out, pizza night etc). great room with lots of space and a safe, kitchen had everything you could hope for! the only little comment would be is the toilet and shower probably need a lick of paint, update and a new lock but otherwise it was perfect! we are already planning our trip back to cairns just so we can stay again!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have travelled a lot & have stayed in many different types of hostels/guesthouses. I stayed at their sister hostel tropic days 8 years ago & loved it so thought id give travellers a try this time.
I would say that Travellers oasis is the best hostel I have ever stayed in! From the moment I checked in I immediately felt at home as i was shown around the whole hostel (very rare!) & the reception staff were so friendly! I stayed in a 6 bed dorm which I loved & it was very
comfortable. Free wifi was excellent & actually works, even in dorms!
It is a very chilled out, quiet place to stay but very friendly & sociable! I made so many friends here & there were a really nice mixture of ages/nationalities. The whole atmosphere is great as the staff call all guests by name, always say hello & greet u with a smile. Helen is absolute star & the owners Gabe & Cathy have put in so much work to make their hostels perfect for travellers. I would recommend booking your tours with reception as everything they recommended turned out brilliant!
If you you don't want a party hostel but still want to meet people then this is a perfect place to stay.
Oh & the Monday BBQ is fabulous!!
Thank you to all the staff at travellers for the BEST time in cairns.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 6 nights in the end as it was so nice. Real home away from home. Staff really helpful, especially helen. Very clean. Not a party hostel so plenty of relaxed atmosphere. Not right in the centre but this meant it was quiet and was only 15 mins walk to the lagoon. Would definately recommend!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed three times at the Travellers Oasis as we were exploring the Cairns area. It is simply one of the best backpackers in Northern Queensland. The staff is absolutely charming and very helpful if you would like to do some activities up there. All rooms and common areas are very clean and lovely decorated. We can only recommend you to stay there.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe double (room 20 & 21) with your own balcony :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple