“I could stay forever!”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I don't normally write reviews but I felt compelled to let the world know about this place! One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! It's in a really good central location about 10 minutes walk from the esplanade. The atmosphere is great and there are plenty of opportunities to socialise with other guests. The staff are amazing, they really make the place what it is. They're incredibly friendly and are always willing to share their experiences when it comes to booking activities. If you're looking for somewhere to stay that's chilled and sociable, look no further.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I spent two month on the East coast and I've seen a lot of different accommodations. This one is for me the best ! It is nice and clean, the manager knows the name of every client and is so friendly. The place is well organized and you don't have the feeling to be in those big hostels with 20 showers in one line. Here you have one shower somewhere, then another in another place. Same same with the kitchens. You feel so cozy in here. The atmosphere is really relaxing. And they can organize all your trips too. The Wifi is free and the fastest I ever seen in Australia.
Best place ever, thanks for this Oasis.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Travellers Oasis

There is so much to appreciate about this property.
Location is perfect, the staff are really friendly and helpful.
The single rooms are more than adequate for a solo traveller. (I recommend room number 5 for the most spacious single room - I did a quick sneak and peak).
They supported organise excursions and the highlight was the weekly famous BBQ.
The swimming pool, kitchen, toilets, showers and communal areas are kept clean and well kept.
Highly recommend this accommodation.

This is a chilled out and relaxed accommodation that is in keeping with Cairns. Don't expect instantaneous service.
The only thing I disliked was the payment of Airconditionig requiring exact change.
When the office is closed, it is very difficult to get change anywhere nearby.
I'd recommend a communal change machine or an option to incorporate Aircon into your booking at an additional cost.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Traveller's Oasis truly is an oasis. It was the first hostel I stayed at on my solo trip to OZ and it set the bar so high... I have yet to find a hostel in OZ and New Zealand that comes close to replicating the experience I had in Cairns. The dorms are really nice and clean (complete with free towels and ample outlets and a small safe large enough for laptops and cameras), as is the rest of the facility (also, free wifi). The pool is perfect for cooling off at night! There is always music playing, and people are always hanging around, willing to chat... it is not a party hostel by any means, but it is just a short walk to Carins' night life.

What makes Traveller's Oasis truly great, however, is the staff. They make an effort to get to know their guests by name, and work to ensure everyone has the best stay possible. They have advice for everything, and suggestions if you honestly don't know where to start. And anything you want to do, they can make it happen. I walked into the office at 8:30 one morning, and within 10 minutes, Helen had me booked on a GBR trip that departed at 10:30 that morning. Later that night, after getting badly sunburned on the reef (wear sunscreen even if its cloudy!!), I suffered from heat stroke at the hostel's Aussie BBQ night (hosted at Traveller Oasis' sister hostel up the road). I fainted, and the staff was quick to make sure I was ok and comfortable, and kept checking in with me for the rest of the night. The next morning, when I walked into the office to check out, Helen asked me how I was feeling... she wasn't even at the BBQ, but someone had told her the entire story... Every other staff member I bumped into that day had heard the story and also made sure I was feeling alright! That's the kind of place that Traveller's Oasis is. I stayed for 5 nights, and it was an absolutely amazing experience in every way. Any time I hear that someone is going to Cairns, one of my first comments is always that they need to check out Traveller's Oasis. It seriously lives up to all of the excellent reviews.

Room Tip: Rooms do get hot in the summer, but you can pay a small fee for air-con and they are totally fine :)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Travellers Oasis was an excellent place to stay- clean, quiet and comfy single beds. A little bit of a walk to the esplanade however there is a supermarket across the road. Helen was the most charming, delightful, knowledgable, and sincere host I have ever come across. She has superb knowledge of all things Cairns and the GBR and will definately find the best deals and activities to suit you all while maintaining this fantastic hostel to the highest of standards. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at the beginning of April and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hostel is quiet and laid back but close to the nightlife cairns has to offer.

I stayed in a 3 bed room which had 3 single beds. A welcome relief from bunk beds!

The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and do an excellent job of keeping the place clean. The lovely Helen is particularly nice!

If you want a party hostel this isn't for you but if you want a place that's clean, has good facilities and great staff then this is the place you need.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This place was recommended by one of my friends and it did not disappoint. It is conveniently located - 2 minute's walk from the shopping mall and 15 minutes walk to the esplanade.

The hostel was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. It had a really good atmosphere.

I stayed in a private room which was of a decent size and even had a safe, a small fridge and an aircon ( although you have to pay $1 for 3 hours isn't that bad).

If you want a nice quiet place to chill this is the place to stay. If you're looking for a party hostel then I would suggest Gilligans.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo