“Great place, very personal and cosy atmosphere”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Reviewed 31 October 2008

The place was just perfect in every sense! Not only clean but very neat with great attention to details. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the dorms were not too big (no bunks). It is located next to the railway station and a 5-10 min walk away from the town centre. The staff was very friendly and helpful with all our bookings, and what impressed me most was that the receptionist knew the names of all the guests! Amazing! Such thing really does make a difference!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 August 2008

My husband and I stayed in a private room for 7 nights in July/August 2008. We loved Travellers Oasis! The hostel had a great tropical feeling, a perfect location, great amenities, and was extremely clean. The prices were great and I’d definitely stay there again!

Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable, although it was quite small and there wasn’t really any room to put our packs where we weren’t tripping over them. We had a bedside table, a small sink, and a bar fridge (fantastic!!) in the room, and a hammock and private table/chairs right outside our door. Although there was an air conditioner, it cost $1 to run for 3 hours. We didn’t end up using it because the ceiling fan was adequate, but it would probably be necessary during the heat and humidity of Cairns’ summer months.

As far as I could tell, there were 3 showers and 4 or 5 toilets shared between all of the guests. I never had to wait for the shower or toilet the entire time I was there even though the hostel was at full capacity. The atmosphere in the common areas was great (with a beautiful little pool and barbeque grill in the middle of it all) and seemed to be perfect for people wanting to meet socialize. Noise wasn’t a problem for us given the somewhat secluded location of our room. There were also 2 conveniently located kitchens, a TV room, and 4 washers/dryers ($3 per wash).

John at the front desk, who seemed to be the main staff member at the hostel, was amazing! He was incredibly helpful in every situation and always went out of his way to help make guests’ stays the best possible. They keep in stock a ton of travel and activity brochures along with restaurant coupons and activity listings in the main office. We booked 4 tours through him and they all turned out to be great! This worked out particularly well since the hostel provided free transportation to the reef terminal.

This is definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed at and I’d highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2008

This is one of the best hostels I have stayed in. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I was recommended to stay here by someone and im glad I listened. Its a good spot as just out of town so not in all the noise but close enough to be able to have a good night out. Its a chilled out place where your name is remembered with a complete range of people staying. Its very clean, but watch out for the bleach!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2008

A friend recommended this hostel. it doesnt feel like a hostel. It has a lovelly wee lagoon and lots of bathrooms, shower rooms and kitchens. The staff - John, Gabrielle and Lisa were lovelly. John really goes out of his way to help you. He sold us some discounted trips for the Barrier Reef.

They have a wee mini bus and they pick you up at the airport for free, and they take you to drop off points for trips/excursions.

The location of the hostel is really handy - just behind the shopping centre.

I felt really safe staying there. I shared a room wtih my mum and uncle.

Prices were really cheap and they do a bbq on a Monday night - it is a must see and do! We had a great laugh.

I want to go again!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Juleboats
Reviewed 16 November 2007

Going to Cairns - Stay at the Oasis.

This is a great little spot - just a short walk from the Cairns CBD. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff is extremely helpfull - The only little downside is, that the office is closed from noon to 4 pm.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank harapan
Reviewed 27 September 2007

We stayed in a double room at the beginning of September and after reading the reviews of this place I was hopeful that this would be ok. Our room was small but clean and had a fridge, fan and air conditioning (coin operated) and the hostel was generally quite clean. The 2 kitchens are small and a little 'tired' looking as are the bathrooms. The pool area is nice. But when we stayed there was a big group of people up all night till morning shouting and talking VERY loudly which kept us up which is not great when you are being picked up for a trip at 6am!
This place is ok I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't stay here again!

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 3 September 2007

Lovely clean hostel. Friendly staff. I stayed in a 4 bed room for 7 days. I had intended to travel around a bit but ended up baseing myself there and coming and going.

Best hostel I have ever stayed in. Easy short walk from the night life in Cairns. The monday night BBQ are a must! Really good fun and a great feed.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any one.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo