“Needs improvement”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
New York City, New York
“Needs improvement”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was a good hostel, but I'm afraid they might be resting on their laurels a little bit. With the fantastic reviews up here and the '#1 hostel in oceania' flyers everywhere I was expecting a bit more.
Good points:
- Great wifi, strong reception, fast speed.
- Nice layout, several communal areas, relaxed atmosphere.
- Quiet area and rooms.
- Great vouchers available at reception- discounts for decent restaurant.

Needs improvement:
- No bin in the room.
- Shower drains need a clean - water pools around ankles.
- No brush or sponge in kitchen, same cloth to wipe benches used to wash dishes.
- Reception closed between 12-4pm, really surprised about this.
- No top sheet on the bed, this means the doona/duvet is shared with previous guest, if they shower in the morning, their whole day's filth is caked onto the blanket.
- No paper towels/towel to dry your hands in the bathrooms.'

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
travellersoasis, Owner at Travellers Oasis Backpackers, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Hi Penelope,

Thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed all the facilities we offer.
I do not agree with you saying we are sitting back on our laurels, this is not a fair thing to say considering the hard work that all our staff put in, we have great reviews and are ranked very high on a lot of web sites and are given various awards, we do not enter any competitions or submit to any awards. All the ratings we receive come from our guests, so we are proud to display them in the office.

I would like to say that we have used bins in the rooms in the past, but we found guest were putting food into them and consequently attracting ants etc, there are multiple bins that can be found in the bathrooms & communal areas which are emptied through out the day.
I have not been aware of any blocked drains but will look into it today.
Our kitchens are supplied with scrubbing brushes, cloths and detergent, and these are checked and replaced daily.
We supply a Doona/Duvet that has a removable cover, these covers and all linen and towels are washed on guests departure,
I am not sure why you think different.
We also give each guest their own fresh towel to use in the bathroom.

I appreciate your suggestions and will make sure we continue set a high standard.
regards

Gabe Thallon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This is an incredible hostel. We were booked in for 2 days and ended up staying for a week.

Very central, GOOD free wifi, great atmosphere and great facilities.

The rooms were absolutely spotless, along with all communal areas.

The majority of staff were brilliant. Helen, Micky and Marco are an absolute credit to the hostel; lovely, lovely people. The only negative point with this hostel was a cleaner - Christina. She was very rude, abrupt and just generally horrible.

Thank you Gabe, Helen, Micky and Marco for an unforgettable stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Ash,

Thanks for all the positive comments, we really appreciate it, but no one can recall a staff member called Christina !!!????it is a shame that someone was rude none the less.

Thanks again

Gabe
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We only stayed here for a night before we flew out of Cairns. It was definitely a quality hostel. Helen was awesome and amazingly accommodating. The Mexican restaurant next door was delicious and offered good deals. The hostel is a bit of a hike from the main part of Cairns (although I didn't actually walk this), but it was nicer than a hostel we stayed at closer to the Esplanade. Helen arranged an airport pick up for us, including one at 4:00am and was very helpful about the whole thing. The hostel provides towels and hotel level safes.

A notable concern is that our room had a decorative cut out above the door way. This let in a lot of noise throughout the night. While this was nice looking, the hostel should consider covering these.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
travellersoasis, Owner at Travellers Oasis Backpackers, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thanks so much, so happy you enjoyed your stay with us,
safe Travels
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights which were split between a 3 bed room and a 6 bed room. In each of these I was in a single bed (no bunks!) which is such a luxury. The rooms and hostel were kept very clean. The kitchens were large enough and stocked well enough for the number of guests staying there. What really sets this hostel apart from the rest is the quality of service you receive here. The staff knew my name from the moment I arrived and it really felt like they wanted to make my stay as enjoyable as possible.
The only (very minor) complaints that I have is the charging for the use of the A/C, I would rather the use be unlimited and the cost of the stay slightly more than having to feed coins into the meter. Also, the reception hours are kind of unusual.
Overall, I loved this place and it is definitely my favourite hostel on the East Coast. Stay here if you get the chance!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My bf and I had a great time at the Travellers Oasis. Our room was comfortable and the deck with a hammock was a wonderful way to relax and take it all in. Helen and the staff were helpful and friendly. While we were only in cairns for 3 days, the staff gave us wonderful recommendations that made our trip a wonderful one. I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: The deluxe double is a bit more but well worth it for own private oasis. Great for couples
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was my first time in a "hostel" and I think its fair to say it spoiled my future hostel experiences. Like every other review says, this is like staying in someones cozy guest house. The hostel is in a nice quiet area but walking distance to town, the rooms are clean and come with a safe for every bed, and the prices are great. There's also a nice pool, clean, well-equipped kitchens and plenty of space to lounge around. The place has a fun vibe and all the staff members were pleasant and ready to help plan any activities. Every hostel I went to after this place cost WAY more and felt like I was sleeping in the crew quarters of a cargo ship. Traveller's Oasis is truly a budget traveller's dream.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

There isn't a single bad word to say about this hostel.

The staff are very friendly and welcoming. We stayed for a few nights and they helped us and recommended possibly the best trip we did during our stay in Australia.

The rooms are nice and they provide you with towels which is a luxury in hostels! They also give you beach towels to take on your trips! Wifi is excellent and FREE!

We were very sad to leave the place and people, especially pepper (the dog). If ever back in Cairns this would be the only place I would stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends