“Good place to explore cairns”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Clean hostel. Friendly helpful staff , especially Marco. Stayed in a double room shared bathroom. Very clean, nice bed and pillows. Got the $5 airport shuttle right to the door. (Costs $8.50 to return to airport ) . Right beside a big shopping centre with Coles, target, post office, cinema etc and the train station. Good twenty min walk to lagoon, sea front. Nice pool and relaxing areas. Bit noisy at weekends but it's a hostel. Would stay again. Fridge in room, air con $1 for 3 hours

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed for 5 nights and couldn't fault a thing. Everything was clean and tidy and the staff were very amazing from booking tours or just having a chat.
The light in our room went out so we went down to reception and they came right up to replace it.
The best thing has to be the showers, hot and with a powerful stream of water making you not want to get out.
Would also definitely recommend going to weekly Monday night BBQ for some great food and entertainment, never thought I would eat crocodile.
Hopefully one day I will get to go back.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was a good hostel, but I'm afraid they might be resting on their laurels a little bit. With the fantastic reviews up here and the '#1 hostel in oceania' flyers everywhere I was expecting a bit more.
Good points:
- Great wifi, strong reception, fast speed.
- Nice layout, several communal areas, relaxed atmosphere.
- Quiet area and rooms.
- Great vouchers available at reception- discounts for decent restaurant.

Needs improvement:
- No bin in the room.
- Shower drains need a clean - water pools around ankles.
- No brush or sponge in kitchen, same cloth to wipe benches used to wash dishes.
- Reception closed between 12-4pm, really surprised about this.
- No top sheet on the bed, this means the doona/duvet is shared with previous guest, if they shower in the morning, their whole day's filth is caked onto the blanket.
- No paper towels/towel to dry your hands in the bathrooms.'

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
travellersoasis, Owner at Travellers Oasis Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hi Penelope,

Thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed all the facilities we offer.
I do not agree with you saying we are sitting back on our laurels, this is not a fair thing to say considering the hard work that all our staff put in, we have great reviews and are ranked very high on a lot of web sites and are given various awards, we do not enter any competitions or submit to any awards. All the ratings we receive come from our guests, so we are proud to display them in the office.

I would like to say that we have used bins in the rooms in the past, but we found guest were putting food into them and consequently attracting ants etc, there are multiple bins that can be found in the bathrooms & communal areas which are emptied through out the day.
I have not been aware of any blocked drains but will look into it today.
Our kitchens are supplied with scrubbing brushes, cloths and detergent, and these are checked and replaced daily.
We supply a Doona/Duvet that has a removable cover, these covers and all linen and towels are washed on guests departure,
I am not sure why you think different.
We also give each guest their own fresh towel to use in the bathroom.

I appreciate your suggestions and will make sure we continue set a high standard.
regards

Gabe Thallon

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is an incredible hostel. We were booked in for 2 days and ended up staying for a week.

Very central, GOOD free wifi, great atmosphere and great facilities.

The rooms were absolutely spotless, along with all communal areas.

The majority of staff were brilliant. Helen, Micky and Marco are an absolute credit to the hostel; lovely, lovely people. The only negative point with this hostel was a cleaner - Christina. She was very rude, abrupt and just generally horrible.

Thank you Gabe, Helen, Micky and Marco for an unforgettable stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Ash,

Thanks for all the positive comments, we really appreciate it, but no one can recall a staff member called Christina !!!????it is a shame that someone was rude none the less.

Thanks again

Gabe

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We only stayed here for a night before we flew out of Cairns. It was definitely a quality hostel. Helen was awesome and amazingly accommodating. The Mexican restaurant next door was delicious and offered good deals. The hostel is a bit of a hike from the main part of Cairns (although I didn't actually walk this), but it was nicer than a hostel we stayed at closer to the Esplanade. Helen arranged an airport pick up for us, including one at 4:00am and was very helpful about the whole thing. The hostel provides towels and hotel level safes.

A notable concern is that our room had a decorative cut out above the door way. This let in a lot of noise throughout the night. While this was nice looking, the hostel should consider covering these.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
travellersoasis, Owner at Travellers Oasis Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thanks so much, so happy you enjoyed your stay with us,
safe Travels

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights which were split between a 3 bed room and a 6 bed room. In each of these I was in a single bed (no bunks!) which is such a luxury. The rooms and hostel were kept very clean. The kitchens were large enough and stocked well enough for the number of guests staying there. What really sets this hostel apart from the rest is the quality of service you receive here. The staff knew my name from the moment I arrived and it really felt like they wanted to make my stay as enjoyable as possible.
The only (very minor) complaints that I have is the charging for the use of the A/C, I would rather the use be unlimited and the cost of the stay slightly more than having to feed coins into the meter. Also, the reception hours are kind of unusual.
Overall, I loved this place and it is definitely my favourite hostel on the East Coast. Stay here if you get the chance!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My bf and I had a great time at the Travellers Oasis. Our room was comfortable and the deck with a hammock was a wonderful way to relax and take it all in. Helen and the staff were helpful and friendly. While we were only in cairns for 3 days, the staff gave us wonderful recommendations that made our trip a wonderful one. I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: The deluxe double is a bit more but well worth it for own private oasis. Great for couples