“Great Hostel”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Hostel”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

i really liked this hostel. i stayed in a private room, it had a baloncy, aircon, tv & dvd player amazing! it was reasonable price as well. I liked the feel to the hostel, the staff are very friendly and so helpful. guests are really friendly as well. its clean and in a good location. the kitchen is great, very well organised with people labeling things and its very tidy. shower is good to, not one of those dodgy hostel showers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
travellersoasis, Owner at Travellers Oasis Backpackers, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thanks for taking time to write a review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Gabriel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Travellers Oasis was my first hostel in Australia, so I had pretty much built a picture in my mind on what to expect. I avoided all the party hostels and did my research, as I wanted a quiet retreat after our long flight. We got cheap transfers from the hotel ($10 each) and were pleasantly surprised with the homely appearance of the hostel. I did my homework before booking and checked all the online reviews for here, which were all very positive. We booked a double room with a shared bathroom so were hoping for a fairly quiet stay but unfortunately this wasn't the case, here are the pros and cons of our 2 night stay, so that I don't ramble on too much:

PROS

- Homely and much smaller than other central hostels
- Very clean, staff work hard to keep it this way
- Friendly staff, we got a tour of the hostel and they were very helpful

CONS

-A fair walk from the esplanade, I would allow 15-20 minutes before you're at the lagoon.
- LOUD, and I mean dog barking all hours of the night loud!...Despite signs asking people to be quiet after 10pm the walls are like paper and you can hear everything, from people sitting near the pool talking at night to people showering at the end of the hallway.
- If you are sleeping above reception I only hope the owner next door has muzzled his dog, it really does howl all night....
- Very small room, I didn't expect the Ritz, but when I stayed and Travellers Days (the partner hostel of this one) I was much happier with the room size and noise levels.

So I hope this review helps, I would recommend Traveller Days to couples over Traveller Oasis, as our room was much bigger (with a TV) and surprisingly very quiet. Whilst Traveller Days is further out than Traveller Oasis there are free shuttles once an hour to drop you bang in the middle of the city.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being above reception, unless you can sleep through the wolf dog
1 Thank Charlotte H
Hi there,

Thanks for taking time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to read that you had a disturbed sleep while staying with us, after reading your review we have spoken to our friendly neighbour and let him know of your complaint, he will have a chat to his dog and ask it to be quiet. I don't agree that we have paper thin walls, our buildings meet all building regulations, we also have staff on site to keep the noise level down after 10pm. I also think that it is a pleasant 15 minute walk to the Lagoon, we offer the use of Beach towels for free.

It was great to read that you enjoyed our sister property Tropic Days, we all try very hard at both Hostels to offer a pleasant and comfortable stay to all our guests, we hope to see you again if you ever return to Cairns.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in ALOT of hostels during our travels around Australia and I have to say this was the best. Clean, safe and well laid out. Incredibly helpful staff (very knowledgable about all the different options for reef tours). We stayed in a delux double room and had our own balcony and hammock - amazing! Nothing bad to say about it. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: I'm sure all would be great but it was nice splashing out and getting a deluxe double. Loved the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi There,

Great to read that a seasoned Traveler who has experienced many Hostels in Australia found us to be the Best, that really means a lot to us. We will keep trying to improve.

Thanks again

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights at beginning and end of a short trip to North Qld. Very well equipped kitchens, kept spotlessly clean. Pleasant outdoor dining area with Weber BBQ. Staff were super helpful and friendly. The Monday night BBQ at their sister hostel is fun and worth going to. Some rooms noisier than others but everything quietens down by 10pm or so, is not a party hostel!

Room Tip: Room 1 is on ground level, has 4 single beds, nice and quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hi There,

Thanks for all your kind words, glad you enjoyed the Monday night BBQ, I got to say we all love it as well. Nice to hear you had a comfortable sleep.

Thanks

Sacramento
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Friendly staff, good location, and quiet at night. I was traveling alone and this hostel is full of friendly people. It was easy to make some new friends am get suggestions on what to do during my stay. It was in walking distance from stores, the lagoon, bars, and bottle shops. I loved that I coul come home at night and it was peaceful and quiet so I could get some sleep. Great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014
Ireland
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Clean hostel. Friendly helpful staff , especially Marco. Stayed in a double room shared bathroom. Very clean, nice bed and pillows. Got the $5 airport shuttle right to the door. (Costs $8.50 to return to airport ) . Right beside a big shopping centre with Coles, target, post office, cinema etc and the train station. Good twenty min walk to lagoon, sea front. Nice pool and relaxing areas. Bit noisy at weekends but it's a hostel. Would stay again. Fridge in room, air con $1 for 3 hours

Perth
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed for 5 nights and couldn't fault a thing. Everything was clean and tidy and the staff were very amazing from booking tours or just having a chat.
The light in our room went out so we went down to reception and they came right up to replace it.
The best thing has to be the showers, hot and with a powerful stream of water making you not want to get out.
Would also definitely recommend going to weekly Monday night BBQ for some great food and entertainment, never thought I would eat crocodile.
Hopefully one day I will get to go back.

• Stayed July 2014