Asylum Cairns Backpacker Hostel
US$100
US$92
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Tropical Heritage Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$81
Great 4.5/5
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$79
Agoda.com
Very Good 4/5
BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$182
Travelocity
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$94
Great 4.5/5
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$83
Agoda.com
All reviewslarge kitchenswimming poolhammocksbyotoursgilliganslagoonesplanade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I cant believe the bad ratings i see here. this hostel is the best one and no doubt. you got sooo much free stuff and the fun factor is amazing. the staff is the most friendly and professional i ever met, they helped me with tours and everything. this hostel is very very old and it has its character but it is clean! it looks tared down and it is in some parts but you can really feel the history in the walls of this place. i felt really home here and i know that others did too. most of the people who checked in for a couple of days tended to stay for weeks! beautiful huge backgarden and hammocks. even tho its a party hostel, the party was always in the front so it was nice and quiet in the back. best memories of all! thx Asylum!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank FiffiCairns
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Read some of the reviews, Its either the worst or the best... haha! Depends who you are. This is a Party house. This is where you come to let loose and forget everything, where you could care less about the little ants crawling up and down the walls or that the A/C is non exising. This is not for the "Princess" light hearted traveller. If in your luggage you have more hair gel or mascara than food, this is not the place for you.

Would i recommend this hostel to a friend??? Depends on the Friend. ;)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank yomofo_11
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I should have read the reviews. My partner and I booked this place last-minute. What a mistake that was. Disgusting and dirty are the words that come to my mind when I think of this rat-infested hole. My partner and I stayed here for a night and it was the absolute worst hostel I have ever stayed in. I've traveled a lot and have stayed in many backpackers and hostels but this was the worst place. We didn't even use the shower because they so dirty and disgusting. We barely slept because the walls are paper thin a.k.a non-existing. The walls and window frames in our room weren't even stable - they were broken! Our room was literally falling apart. I didn't take any photos as I didn't want any memories. We checked out as soon as we could and found a nice hostel a few blocks away that charged us LESS. I wouldn't even recommend this place to my enemies.

Note: If you own Asylum, take my advice: TEAR IT DOWN! re-build something DECENT. You should be embarassed that you're actually charging people to stay somewhere so crappy.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank SaraDarling
Reviewed 17 September 2010

I came out of here itching. Litter on the street outside left by Asylum guests; a mess inside. The dirtiest mattress I have ever slept on - hence the itching, no doubt. A pool that looked as if it needed a serious clean, toilets that didn't flush, bathrooms that needed a proper cleaning, cockroaches all over the bedroom, very loud guests who were either pilled-up or sloshed on cheap box wine making noise until well after dawn, staff that were rude, uncaring and incompetent. A free breakfast that was a bowl of cereal. I wouldn't recommend this to an enemy, never mind a friend. There are much better choices in Cairns, believe me.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank rrickyuk
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Read the reviews prior to arriving and was a little worried and yes after the first night i was ready to check out, however i gave it another night and ended up staying for 2 and a half weeks. Had the best time since arriving in Australia over 8 months ago.
Ok so the girls dorm was a little dirty and the whole place could do with a lick of paint but the kitchen and loos were always clean. All the staff were super friendly and made you feel at home and the atmosphere was great. You were encouraged to drink and join in all the fun. Mad Mondays are a must. Met some really great people. Cheap as chips as well. 100% recommended. Love it!
Amy H