“Great atmosphere, Shocking rooms”

Asylum Cairns Backpacker Hostel
Ranked #56 of 84 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed in this hostel the first night we arrived in cairns, the reception staff were nothing but lovely They were kind enough to show us around the hostel and carry our belongings. The hostel itself has seen better years and is quite old, though the atmosphere more than made up for that. Our room in a word was terrible. and we all found it difficult to sleep even though we were completely exhausted. The room felt like it hadn't been cleaned as you could feel the grit on the floor when walking around, the windows were jammed open and the curtain didnt come close to covering it. All in all the atmosphere is fantastic, everyone is so chill and friendly. Though if you are looking for carpet and comfort, maybe you should stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at asylum for about a week when we very first arrived in australia. The hostel is in a good location, pretty close to everything. They advertise themselves as a social place and it definately is. we met loads of outgoing friendly people.We didn't really get the full experience though because we were trying to get all our legal boring stuff sorted out so we werent going out much but we were stil able to meet plenty of people around the hostel and the staff were all lovely and very helpful and informative of where to find things and how to get stuff sorted. unfortunately we didnt get a chance to go out for mad mondays because we left on a sunday afternoon to try to find work. I would recommend checking that out if your going, it looked like they had a ton of fun and it was ridiculously good value.
unfortunately the hostel is pretty dirty which comes down to the residents, not the staff. they dont have any paid cleaners etc in order to keep their rent super cheap. the pool on the otherhand should be taken better care of by professionals.it was disgusting and i wouldnt want to get in there unless your trying to catch something..
all in all a decent stay :)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kayladives123
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was lucky, I stayed there just after they brought new mattresses for every room at the beginning of January 2013.
It only cost 15 dollars a night if you stay there for one week and the accommodation is just good!
Good beds, linen, staff, showers and kitchen.
The toilet was sometimes dirty (especially in the evening) but mainly clean.

Unfortunately the free diner at the whoolshed changed to a cheap meal deal during my stay. 5 dollars for a very big amount of chicken, nachos or whatever was still very good, but after maybe another week the whoolshed changed also the amount we got. Now they have just normal amounts and the main problem is they offer not very much varieties. Mainly chicken and beef nachos and I don't want to eat the same for weeks!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Asylum for four nights and found our time there comfortable and relaxed. The staff were great, they make you feel at home straight away. As in other reviews, it is a party hostel so don't come here if you're expecting some peace and quiet. The outside area is really sociable and free WiFi is a bonus. Our room got upgraded on arrival which was great. The cleanliness wasn't fantastic but I've stayed in much worse. Barely any bugs, just a few moths. Would recommend as a good way to meet people.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I was planning on staying for couple of nights at Asylum because this place has been recommended through friends. The Staff was really good except this Arabic Cleaner guy who sold me weed for 50 $ and it was not even enough for 2 smoke. I try to tell him to get me back my money because this was obviously a big rip-off. He never wanted to pay me back and hided from me. Even to the point he locked himself in the kitchen. I tried to talk with the reception about it, and they said they could'nt do anything for me. I mean no worries but coming from an employee you don't rip off guest around no ? He lives in room number 1, so just don't even talk with this guy if he offers you anything ! Rooms are not very nice and you can get much better accommodations around for better value.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Carlito_Ocean
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Asylum for a few days over New Years. Firstly the staff are fantastic! They're all extremely friendly and willing to help, simple things such as remembering 'inmates' names go such a long way. They also gave us advice on the best spots to visit, aswell as giving us a deal were we got a reef tour (Falla Reef Trips) and a weeks accommodation.

The hostel itself is a little run down but nothing that a lick of paint and some TLC wouldn't fix. And by no means did it hinder our stay at all.

Asylum provide free breakfast, free tea and free Internet so if you're on a budget this hostel is extremely helpful.

The atmosphere throughout the hostel is great it's very rare you pass somebody and you don't get a smile and a 'hi' The evenings are very relaxed a lot of people sit outside and drink before heading out which is a great way to meet new people!

I'd recommend this hostel to anybody who was looking for a good time!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Natstedman
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed here for one night on a Monday purely to go the Mad Monday party and it was great. Everyone from the hostel goes on a massive pub crawl and everyone has an Asylum t-shirt on. Its really fun and great for meeting new people. The hostel itself is fine, pretty basic but not as dirty as some reviews i'd read had made out. The only problem I had was that Asylum is a bit further away from the lagoon and the main streets than some of the other hostels and it doesn't provide a shuttle bus from the greyhound so its a really long walk with your backpack on!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo