“Great time great staff”

Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort
Reviewed 6 May 2014

soon as we entered the front door we were welcomed in and show around and told of the local happenings with the resort and out and around cairns. our room was well priced and clean with shared bathroom and shower close by which were clean. they had somthing going on every night in the calypso bar area. which most people came out to enjoy. is about 10-15min direct walk straight into the center of cairns or you could take 20-25mins and go via the esplanade. would come back and stay here again.
Thanks Calypso

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brad F, Manager at Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Hi Ando180,

Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the place welcoming and clean! These things are important to us and it is good to get good feedback!

Hopefully we will see you again!

All the best

There are newer reviews for Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was a great place to stay; clean and cheerful rooms, super friendly and helpful staff, and generally friendly guests too. I would definitely recommend it, though there never seemed to be any hot water. Probably shouldn't need it much in cairns, but it was raining and fairly cool while I was in town.

• Stayed: April 2014

Hi Bella2021,

We appreciate you leaving a review of Calypso.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that everybody was friendly and helpful.

The hot water is usually fine, in the past we have found the water cold and nobody has told us about it. As soon as we know though we try to get things fixed straight away! Hopefully this did not spoil your stay at all!

Thanks again and hopefully see you again.

The Calypso Crew...

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week after coming from gilligans so it was a shock as the rooms are beyond basic and not much atmosphere in comparism. But it is cheap so value for money. The beds are like campbeds paper thin and you cant sit up if your on bottom bunk, not very clean either. Unfortunately i stayed there when a cyclone came so my room leaked through and soaked my bed and luggage and the receptionist didnt seem too bothered at first which annoyed me. Eventually i moved rooms. They do some sort of entertainment every night which is great but it was pretty quiet when i was there so not as lively. The place is ages from town but they run a shuttle every hour. Very chilled out hostel.

• Stayed: April 2014
Brad F, Manager at Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hi ArnottKatie

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your time here. We have won a number of awards for atmosphere at Calypso Inn, so I am surprised you thought there was not much atmosphere during your stay. A cyclone does change a lot though and there is definitely a different feel to the whole of Cairns when a cyclone is looming over us.

Unfortunately somebody had opened up a fire door on the top floor during heavy rain allowing the water to come into the hallway, which then leaked into your room below.

The hostel is 15 minutes walk from town and the shuttle runs almost every hour from morning until evening.

Sorry to hear you found it 'not clean', we have cleaners working around the clock to keep on top of everything.

It would be great if you could email me on dave@calypsobackpackers.com.au regarding your stay here.

Thanks again for your review.

Cheers

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My boyfriend and I (32+29) booked a 6 bed dorm room as we had just splurged on a GBR tour and needed to cut costs. We stayed for three nighrs and had only 3 others in the dorm- I was the only girl. This doesn't bother me but when we woke early on the 2nd day to go snorkeling there was a mystery 6th man in our room who had no bedding and slept in his clothes. I complained to the lady at the front desk as I felt pretty freaked out that a random man could just wander into our room and sleep and she offered us a change of room. On our return from snorkeling we found that she had booked us into a double room. Thank you!
Calypso itself is pretty cool, 15 walk to town or free bus, good pool, free wifi, cheap beer and helpful staff. Kitchen dowstairs a bit scabby so used the upstairs one but bathrooms clean. Lizard and reptile show pretty cruel, passing round crocs with their mouths cellotaped shut, and one guy dropped the baby croc when it wiggled after he tried to kiss it, follwed by a Croc and Kangaroo BBQ. Not our cuppa tea.
Would stay again, just not in a dorm!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Guyetto,

Thank you for the review.

The guy who you saw in the room was actually sleeping outside in his camper van and paying us to use the facilities. His friends were in the same room and after some drinks he saw a spare bed in with his friends, which was your room and crashed out. He did apologise to us for this later on.
I am glad we managed to help settle you both with an upgrade to a private room.

It sounds like you enjoyed your time in the hostel otherwise which is great.

The snake and reptile show is a huge hit with most guests. The crocodiles do have their mouths taped shut to prevent people getting bitten, and the crocodiles are changed every week so the same crocodile is not displayed twice, this causes as little stress as possible. The snakes are handled from hatchlings, so they are used to being held by people and live happy lives in huge enclosures with proper reptile handlers. The reptile keeper who comes in for the show is a fully trained professional who has been doing this all his life for the love of animals,and would not put the animals and reptiles at risk.

I am glad overall that you had a good stay and would return again. It is good that we get this feedback so we can look how to improve for the future.

Thanks

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed 5 nights in the calypso inn. My first impression was good as they offer free shuttle services from the airport and the lady in the reception was very charming and nice. I had a single room as I am 29 and just wanted to be a bit more private for a change. The Zanzibar is literally in the middle of the hostel and they play ridiculously loud music. Not that there is a big party going on, just a few teenager on laptops or playing billiard. It was impossible to sleep before 1 am. the night before I went to the Great Barrier Reef I wanted to sleep earlier to be fit in the morning. But when the music in the bar finally finished they moved the party right in front of my room. Couldn't sleep until 4am.

The next day my door was closed and for some reason we couldn't open it any more. The staff was nice in the first place, tried to open as well several times and as it was already nighttime and I had a plan that night they offered to lend me money and to fix it in the meantime.They called their boss an instead of calling a key service they wanted to go into the room through the window. I explained that I had EVERYTHING in the room, including ID, money, medicinal pillow (back issues after an accident). When I arrived back in the hostel my room was still closed. The night manager was so once to take a look with me, We endet up breaking into the room (which seemed almost too easy) and I climbed in through the window. So Mikey, the night manager, was very helpful and polite, whereas the others seemed not very honest. At first look they were nice, but in the end they didn't do much if you needed them.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Rulestarworld2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

What a great place to stay!!! Loved just about everything about this tropical, clean and friendly hostel. The girls at reception Angela and Alex were so friendly and helpful. Angela gave the best ever travel advise and actually booking our whole holiday down the east coast. Great atmosphere, awesome bar and activities, very clean and all round one of the best hostels we have stayed in. We would definitely recommend Calypso...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed at Calypso after my sister recommended it, and I will now pass on this recommendation to anyone staying in Cairns! The staff were friendly and helpful, the hostel itself is really well laid out, clean and comfortable.
Thanks Calypso, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and hope to return!

• Stayed: March 2014