“Good price but could be better”

Caravella Backpackers
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Good price but could be better”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Hi stayed here not long ago was quite nice room was neat & tidy plus the staff were really very nice and knew all the things to do, the only thing I found was that was the noise got roudy at nights and there was no one to stop it until another backpacker said please be quiet this is one of the reason they don't 5 stars from me, plus the other little thing that bugged me was lack of things to place gear on or sit on but hey it is still a good place don't get me wrong but there is always little things that can stuff up a stay

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Cairns
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a 4 girls dorm with a private bathroom and fridge. The accommodation was tidy and clean but in our room there was no table or chairs nor a shelf or something similar to put stuff on. There were small little insects running all over the place and the room was very humid. The good thibg about it is the free airport pick-up but if you want to get back by them too, you have to pay (17$ for 2 passengers). We arrived outside the office hours but it was absolutely no problem they had put our key in a safe next to the reception and we easily found our room. All in all a good experience for a hostel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Okay first the good things, the hostels free pick up service which is actually run by a company called FNQ, the driver was enthusiastic and certainly made you feel more relaxed. Secondly the staff at this hostel are great, really helpful and friendly group of people, one of the reasons we chose to return after coming back from live board diving. Now the best thing and certainly our personal favourite the $6.50 vouchers for an evening meal at PJ O'briens. We ate here ever night, where you get a choice of any of the meals (steak, fish chips ect.) and a drink. Best deal we have found since being in Australia. My girlfriend and I stayed in a double with shared bathroom. Our first room I think room 54 was fine, fan on the ceiling, air condition, fridge. However the shared bathrooms in this area were not brilliant and was simply a shower curtain. Privacy apparently doesn't exist here. Anyway our second room 33 was a huge improvement, a lot lighter, cleaner, and just down the corridor a shower area with a locked door. Perfect. The place itself does seem a little worn however you can't fault the staff who are out everyday cleaning and doing handy work. Our main negative would be the kitchen area, which certainly doesn't entice you to use the cutlery or the services. (Seems dirty and worn) Overall not bad for the money and with a great location, we would return to caravella should we come to cairns again and also would like to thank the staff here as you certainly do make the place :)

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Danielhughes1
Oldham, Lancashire
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Really quiet and on the fat side of the esplanade, not a rowdy hostel but the common area always had people around to talk to.
It was easy to find your way into town straight down the seafront but it was 5-10minutes to the place for meal vouchers which was a really nice place to eat and socialise so it was worth it.
Reception were really helpful in booking all of my trips for me and advising the best ones to go on. I really enjoyed all the ones they suggested and recommended to friends too.
Storing items in the safe was easy and secure. Checking out before reception opened was also easy and not a problem.
The room was pretty basic with a basic shower room for the 6 bed mixed dorm. The people there seemed to live there rather than just visit so there were a few closed groups. The swimming pool was nice even though I didn't use it and the wifi in common area was ok.
I would stay here again if I wanted a quiet and relaxing stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed here for 5 days in total in December - travelling alone, I have never stayed in a backpacker hostel before so I cant really compare to anything else.

The room hadn't been cleaned when I arrived, but reception were extremely quick on sorting this out. Infact reception staff 'Amy' and others were absolutely brilliant! Always remembered my name everytime I walked through reception, and were very helpful with any of my queries around Cairns or trips. The room itself was very basic. I had my own double room with bathroom. Downside there was nowhere to hang any clothes up in the room, so I lived out of suitcase. No windows, so you are a bit encased in. The hostel itself feels very safe and once reception is locked up for the night, there is a code to get in at the side gate. Its a good spot for noise aswell as your just a ten minute stroll down the road and I didnt hear a squeak out of anyone all night !! So .... its basic, slightly boring rooms ... with excellent friendly staff in a location just on the edge of the main road.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Very happy with our stay here, the superior room was very spacious but moved to a budget room (less spacious as to be expected) as we extended our day and that was all that was available.

The place was very clean and well maintained but what impressed me most was the helpfulness of the desk staff and the owner always asking if everything was ok from the strength of the wifi to the quality of the dinner in the meal deal. He even drove some guys to the airport last minute when there away a problem with the shuttle. Everyone was friendly and keen to help.

Good sized washing machines, 2 kitchens, swimming pool and pool table all with plenty of space. Wifi turns off at 6pm which is an issue of you're back late and have tasks to do but otherwise travelling is about seeing places not surfing the net the whole time.

It's only a few minutes walk to town along the esplanade to help keep prices low and meal deal with pub in town was great value and big portions with specials on nightly.

Would stay again and recommend to others.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

It's great to read that Caravellas is still going and that Ralph is still around. I stayed in the bicentennial year, 1988, and am obviously ancient now. But, Ralph runs a good establishment. He had two very able assistants, Pete and Kerrie, hope they are still there too. Cairns remains a high point in my life, In Sydney you'll think things are great but wait until you get to Cairns. Although I had every intention of travelling around I spent May to October at Caravellas and Ralph was like a brother to me. We stayed in Osaka, probably changed its name now, but it was on the South side of the pool, and the only rule was enjoy yourself, which everyone did. If you are thinking of going to Cairns, and you won't find a friendlier place on the surface of the planet, make sure you go and say hello to Ralph, he's brilliant, and so is the hostel.

Room Tip: The whole place is brilliant but my happiest memories were in FLR, funny little room, which is a dou...