“149 Esplanade @ Caravella”

Caravella Backpackers
Ranked #10 of 82 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed at Caravella on either end of a live-aboard diving trip. The first three nights I was in a 4-bed female dorm (room 19). It was pretty close to the kitchens and outdoor area and so was fairly noisy, but tidy and had its own bathroom. The curfew is posted as 11:00 pm but they don't enforce it too strictly until around 11:30. On the back end, I was up in room 36, which was a 4 bed again but didn't have a private bathroom. However, it was much quieter and I would happily stay again in that room.
The front desk staff is really helpful and friendly, and the airport pickup is free on the way in (though $12 on the way out).
The location is maybe a 5 minute walk off the main start of the Esplanade, and they have a deal with a local bar where you can get dinner & a half-pint for just $6.50 every night!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor and away from the main eating area are much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Thank you to all the friendly staff at Caravella Back packers whom were of excellent service and welcoming us into their communal living facility. The Manager was always greeting us and assisted us with any questions we had. The rooms were very clean and comfortable providing us daily with fresh towels and extra blankets as requested. Where else could we have met such lovely people from all over the world sharing their experiences and making our stay more enjoyable. A fun and rewarding stay. Helen and Carol

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hostel was great, and the people working at the hostel was really helpful. After the first night I asked the reception to put some extra blankets on our madras, because it was a pit uncomfortable, and instead of just giving us a few blankets they changed the entire madras, which was great service. The hostel has a nice vibe and atmosphere, and was clean with good kitchens and toilets.

Thanks Caravella for a nice stay in Cairns, you have a hostel that is highly recommendable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

first of all, I've have to say that this was my first backpackers experience, since a long time, considering that I've passed 41. I opted for a backpackers because I was in Australia on a business trip, but I was looking for a budget accommodation in Cairns for the weekend (which was not refunded by my company). Well, Caravella turned out to be a great choice! The place is clean, well organized, and cheap. I chose a motel-like solution, i.e., a room with two beds and private bathroom, which came for approximately 70 AUD (about 50 euros) per night, through booking.com. The room was clean, large, and comfortable, though the street noise was slightly annoying. Nothing fancy, of course, but just fine. No air conditioning, but a couple of (quite old and noisy) ceiling fans. Linens and towels included in the price. I was feared of a noisy and chaotic place with bunch of youngest shouting and making noise till late night... well, nothing of this kind! The place was quite and hosts are requested to not dwell in the public area of the hostel after 11:00 pm. Free airport shuttle-bus, plus a ticket for a super cheap dinner (6.5 AUD for dinner and drink in a close-by pub), plus free wifi in the public area, plus free swimming pool, plus free luggage storage made the deal extremely convenient!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AAAAZ
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed 3 nights in the private room. Free wifi around the kitchen. In addition you can use a hot spot in your room (3 nights-10 AUD). The room was ok, air-conditioned (plus a regular-size fridge), with a small but clean bathroom. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. The hostel is located just on the city esplanade. It also offers a free transfer from the airport. The reception has a good choice of different tours, bus tickets and other local attractions. Overall, a very pleasant and easy-going atmosphere.
In its class - fully recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hi there!! I should say that was def not the best experience of my life...I got to Cairns late therefore and after a very quick search on google I decided to stay in this Hostel. I requested a 4 bedroom share since Im terrible to fall asleep with a lot of people in the room, they ask me for $23 which is not bad and showed me where the room was...well I must say first impressions do count, and I never seen so many in a Patio in a hostel (first bad sign) hthe went to the room, very basic, dirty, on the groundfloor and one toilet and shower for 5 rooms with 4 beds each - which by the way were full. Found a much better one and for less. Def not recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Andreia C
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here in a private room for 5 nights. The room was nice & spacious with really good air conditioning. Bathroom wasn't far away & I never had to wait for the toilet or a shower. Some advertising materials & reviews mention free breakfast & evening meal but this is no longer offered. They do give you a voucher each day though for a meal & a drink at a nearby pub for $6.50 - this is a really good deal as the food is delicious. There is always a massive queue though as a lot of hostels have this deal. Location is good - only a 5-10 minute walk down the esplanade to the main area & lagoon. There isn't a big supermarket very close by, it's about a 15 minute walk. There are 2 kitchens which are really big with all the basics you need. Wifi near the kitchen area is good. Pool is nice and clean. The owner is a really nice guy - he even stopped us & asked if we were happy with everything. I would definitely recommend

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple