“Dirty, Dilapidated, Disappointing”

Caravella Backpackers
Midwest
“Dirty, Dilapidated, Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 January 2010

I don't know what we were thinking when we booked with this hotel, it's right there in the name, "Caravella BACKPACKERS." However, I have stayed at some backpackers in the past where if you get a private room it can be quite nice. Needless to say that is not the case with this place. This hotel was extremely run down, the bed was disgusting, the air con made me SICK, and I don't even think we had clean sheets, and we certainly weren't provided towels. The room was depressing, no radio or TV (again different from other hostels I've stayed at when having a private room). The location was not fantastic, after a long day at the reef, the last thing I want to have to do is walk out of the way to go to dinner.

The bright spot in our entire experience at Caravella was the guy at reception in the mornings. He was very friendly and helpful for us when trying to decide what to do while in Cairns. He even spent some time with me to figure out the next time I go back to the reef, knowing full well I wouldn't be booking it through him.

I can see that if you were truly a backpacker this place would be fine. There is a pretty nice pool, and a large kitchen area to make your own food. It was simply not for me, and I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Reading
Reviewed 14 November 2009

This hostel is nothing like what is described on their website. The 3 rooms I sampled were not air-conditioned as described and were certainly not newly redecorated as they claim. The mattresses are old and dirty and the place generally feels unclean and dilapidated. The website also states that bathrooms are clean and modern. They are not modern and offer no privacy at all.

The staff are also inefficient and reception is far too busy and overcrowded. If you want someone clean and nearer to the centre of town stay at the Northern Greenhouse. This has smaller 6 man dorms, each with its own bathroom. The rooms are also cleaned thoroughly and it is much closer to the town centre. All for only a couple of dollars a night more.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Jhb
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I stayed here in June 2009 and enjoyed it. People come to Cairns for the adventure OUTSIDE the town. The town itself is not an attraction. I stayed at the Caravella on either side of my Barrier Reef Diving trip. It's some way outside the main strip, shops and bars, but to be honest you're not missing much. Caravella has its own vibe of Backpacker-Cool and if you make friendly with fellow-residents you'll find yourself socializing around the pool area deep into the night! (Make sure you pick up your daily voucher for the free spag-bol at the Shed)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Travelantjhb
Stirling
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Clean and Spacious rooms which had fridge and shower between the 4 people in room
Staff very friendly and helpful on advising and planning trips
Would be first chioce next time i go to cairns

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Leeds
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Thie place was great - the staff are so helpful, brilliant for organising trips and really look after you - i had a room on my own with fridge and air con - very no frills just what you need because you are never in your room when your in cairns! you get a voucher for the woolshed bar every day for your dinner and for a couple of quid you can upgrade to anything on the menu so me and my friends were there every night. lorraine is brilliant and the scottish guy who owns it - i really loved it and wished i didnt have to leave for boring leeds - thouroughly recomend it!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Bletchley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2009

I stayed @ Caravella Backpackers for 4 nights and really enjoyed my stay. I was in a 4 bed dorm with my friends. We had a fridge, clean bedding and a decent aircon system (when we didn't forget to turn it on).
The owners are really welcoming and give great advice on activities and places to see in Cairns.
A benefit of staying at this hostel, was that each night you stayed, you received a voucher for a free evening meal at the wool shed in town. They give you salty meals so that you'll buy drinks, but they're really quite good.

I spent most of my time when i was at the hostel by the pool sunbathing and splashing around. It's a really great atmosphere with the radio playing and people in both kitchens cooking.

A very clean, friendly environment for any backpacker!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We stayed here for a few nights way back in 2006 but i remember it well as it was the best place we stayed on our whole trip! We had a double room, clean and spacious and no sign of cockroaches unlike everywhere else we stayed!!! You are literally across the road from the main strip along the waterfront near all the bars and places to eat. 2 minutes walk from the Mall and the public outdoor swimming pool which was great (and free!) We had no problems with noise but i suppose its just luck of who is staying there at the same time and whether you're in a dorm or not. I would definately rate this place - give it a go!

• Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple